Horses leaning in trailers

I See Clover

Visit site
Had my mare for just over a year now, but haven't travelled her much as no transport until recently.

We moved yards today and she loaded perfectly along with our youngster. My mare was on the left hand side. As we were starting to pull away, there was a massive commotion in the trailer. A (my mare) was struggling to stay up. I stayed in the trailer whilst we tried to pull away again to see exactly what was happening. As soon as we started to move again, she was struggling with her balance - her back legs were just giving way.

Took them both out the trailer and swapped them around so A was on right hand side. This time - pulled away and she was fine. Drove to the new yard without a peep from either of them.

We figured she was trying to lean into the partition when on the right hand side, but couldn't balance properly because there was a bit of movement.

It was a horrible experience seeing her going down, everything was racing through my mind :(

Just wondered if anyone else had similar issues?

Thanks

horserugsnot4u

Visit site
Not had similar experience but perhaps she has mainly travelled either on her own or been the heavier of the two and therefore would always go on the right hand side and is used to it. The fact she loaded ok suggests she's not bothered about travelling but prefers the rhs. I once had a pony vetted that would only travel on one side of trailer and it failed a flexion test on the rear leg that took the most weight in trailer, so there might be a slight problem causing some pain when horse spreading back legs when trying to balance. Chances are she just likes the rhs but might be worth checking out any possibility of her being uncomfortable.

EPRider

Visit site
I had to travel a scrambler and I discovered he had to be in the left hand side all the time, even when alone.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Heaviest horse should be on the right (in the UK) due to the camber of the roads.

If an issue, take the partition out and travel one at a time.

Grey Mare used to travel fine for years, then one day must have slipped and it's damaged her confidence. Now has to travel either in a trailer on her own without a partition, or in a lorry herringbone layout. This happened before we got her. I've tried her in our big trailer With the partition in, but no joy.

I See Clover

Visit site
Not had similar experience but perhaps she has mainly travelled either on her own or been the heavier of the two and therefore would always go on the right hand side and is used to it. The fact she loaded ok suggests she's not bothered about travelling but prefers the rhs. I once had a pony vetted that would only travel on one side of trailer and it failed a flexion test on the rear leg that took the most weight in trailer, so there might be a slight problem causing some pain when horse spreading back legs when trying to balance. Chances are she just likes the rhs but might be worth checking out any possibility of her being uncomfortable.

You could be right. She's only 14.1hh (Connie x Highland) so not particularly heavy, but previous owners used to compete every weekend and had a selection of other ponies. I didn't think it could be pain related after she travelled fine on the other side, so thanks for bringing that to my attention :)

Make sure she has plenty of width, as they can panic if they can't have legs out a bit.

When she was initially going down, we were actually thinking she had too much room. As above, she's only 14.1hh (Connie x Highland) so she had plenty of room in our 505 :)

I had to travel a scrambler and I discovered he had to be in the left hand side all the time, even when alone.

May I ask - what is a scrambler? :eek:

Heaviest horse should be on the right (in the UK) due to the camber of the roads.

If an issue, take the partition out and travel one at a time.

Grey Mare used to travel fine for years, then one day must have slipped and it's damaged her confidence. Now has to travel either in a trailer on her own without a partition, or in a lorry herringbone layout. This happened before we got her. I've tried her in our big trailer With the partition in, but no joy.

Oh I didn't know that. Think we may need to travel one at a time in future as our youngster is bigger than my mare. Youngster is standing about 15.1hh and A is 14.1hh. He's a bit stockier too.

Sorry to hear about your mare. It's hard to build their confidence back up after a bad experience, especially travel related. At least she isn't totally reluctant to travel :)

kerribabes

Visit site
Funny my sisters horse has this problem balancing in the box, what is the flexion test might it be worth getting done?

EPRider

Visit site
My scrambler was a horse that started paddling and then scambling about with his legs so that he was in danger of either falling or throwing himself down in the trailer.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I've had 2 who have begun to hurl themselves to the floor and scrabble about as if totally unbalanced - one got so bad he started to lean and fall as soon as I closed the doors! I just took out the back section of the partition - solved it with both immediately! I know of friends who've solved the prob this way too so definately give it a go. I've travelled these horses with others no problem even with the back section out.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
My mare traveled for years fine then went dowm twice in a lorry and since then has to eithe have two stalls to herself in a lorry or the partition out of the trailer.
X

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Yup, same experience as others: horse was fine for years then slipped once in the trailer and was a scrambler ever after when on the right hand side - right as rain when on the left, and grand in a lorry or trailer without partition.

I See Clover

Visit site
Funny my sisters horse has this problem balancing in the box, what is the flexion test might it be worth getting done?

She had a flexion test done when we got her vetted. That was just over a year ago. It might be worth getting it done again though incase she's done something within this past year. This is the first time I've ever came across it, it's really strange to watch as well. It looked almost as if she was doing it deliberately. She was in a bit of a tizz and totally scared though, so she defo wasn't playing up.

My scrambler was a horse that started paddling and then scambling about with his legs so that he was in danger of either falling or throwing himself down in the trailer.

Ah right I get you. As per your previous post, I think A will be the same. I think she will need to put on the rhs when alone or not.

I've had 2 who have begun to hurl themselves to the floor and scrabble about as if totally unbalanced - one got so bad he started to lean and fall as soon as I closed the doors! I just took out the back section of the partition - solved it with both immediately! I know of friends who've solved the prob this way too so definately give it a go. I've travelled these horses with others no problem even with the back section out.

I never thought of that, I will need to give it a go! Thanks :)

My mare traveled for years fine then went dowm twice in a lorry and since then has to eithe have two stalls to herself in a lorry or the partition out of the trailer.
X

Yup, same experience as others: horse was fine for years then slipped once in the trailer and was a scrambler ever after when on the right hand side - right as rain when on the left, and grand in a lorry or trailer without partition.

Other than yesterday we have only travelled her twice, both times she was on the rhs. She's maybe had a bad experience too like both of your mares.

Aoibhin

www.Emmaevans.barefootbooks.com
freinds big lad (full up welsh D) has to travel alone now with the partition tight against him as its the only way he doesnt go down & hurt himself.
we have found him down & on top of his somewhat smaller mother, down & stuck under partition, down with the partition down too, down & broke the partition, down & ripped face open when no partition.
having watched him on new cameras the TIT that he is crosses his legs, back & front & then leans into the middle of trailer onto partition/other horse/fresh air! then falls when the momentum changes, the partition or other pony gives way or in the case of no partition he simply falls over!

its the same in trailer/lorry & whether he is facing back/front/herringbone de has done this most of his life now but wasnt so noticable when he was a slender foal/yearling. It is now he is 16h of fully solid competition fit COB.

hessy12

Visit site
I had to remove the partition, and my horse now travels fine. He needs to be abel to swing his back end round to get balanced.
Before that, he was struggling to stay up no matter how slowly I drove.

Thanks to the great advice from folk on this forum, my problem was solved. Hope yours can be too.

Lucyad

Visit site
Mine scrabbles in the trailer if I use a full partition too. I read on a forum when he started doing it of a horse with bone spavin who started doing this due to sore hocks, disregarded it as my horse was sound, only for him to get bone spavin shortly after, so i am sure that the two were related.

He now travels fine with no partitions, or even with the front half only (with small pony who isn't long enough to pass the central post in my 510).