Horses price increase

Horsecrazy721

Visit site
Can't quite believe how the prices have increased since I last looked, unbacked youngsters that are nothing special for a excess of £2,000 is a lot of money IMO.

Horse ad - surely she won't get nearly £3,000 for a old chap like that?

Last edited:

spacefaer

Visit site
What sort of unbacked youngsters are you looking at?

It used to be a rule of thumb 20 years ago that youngsters were a grand a year - so £2000 for a two year old, £3000 for a three year old. From what I've seen, prices haven't changed that much to be honest. And those prices would in no way cover the breeder's cost of production from conception to young horse.

I would query the pricing based on the appalling pictures, and badly written advert, but if he is easy to handle and safe to hack, he's worth what anyone is prepared to pay (and I would guess, she's wanting her money back on the original purchase price). There is usually some negotiation to be done on any horse purchase.

Horsecrazy721

Visit site
@spacefaer A few poor looking yearlings and one rising 2yr old that was nothing special, nothing well bred, cobby types. A friend asked me to have a look for her.

Thought the same, that gelding looks very poor in those photos

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I've paid around the same amount for several horses in the past 10 - 15 years. I have noticed though that there are a lot of adverts selling poor or green horses at silly prices, probably in the hope that someone will pay.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I paid 3000 Euros for my rising 4 just backed German pony which works out at roughly 66 Euros a month to breed, vets bills for the mare, entry fees to the breed society grading as a foal, gelding and not to mention feed, insurance, farrier and anything else he needed.

There is absolute no way the breeder made any money from him at that price so personally I think horses are massively under priced and until there is a true reflection of the costs the market will continue to be flooded with cheap horses which are passed around for a pittance.

SpringArising

Visit site
Yikes.

When I was in the market ~a year ago, some of the prices of your general nice-but-nothing-special Connemara geldings knocked me off my feet @6-9k.

I ended up buying one but young and green for 3.5k, no doubt his worth has doubled since doing various events with him. Too bad I like him too much to ever sell - which is typical: he's the only one I've ever had actually worth something more than a bag of Quavers.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I think you'll always get chancers who simply ask a lot, it works the other way - I asked a perfectly reasonable price for mine (£3,500 for a 12yo who was usually placed BE90's, won SJ, highly placed WH, qualified Trec Champs first try etc. with an incredible nature/dream to have around) yet I couldn't sell, so I dropped the price and STILL couldn't sell so I've given up! She's a brilliant horse so if people want to buy rubbish instead for the same price, on they go.

This girl is asking way too much so no she probably wont get that. I dont think prices have changed much, people ask what they want generally. I got my last 2 horses for free...! I think a lot of the time its whatever is in fashion. As the poster above mentions - Connies seem ridiculously overpriced right now!

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I'd be gobsmacked if she got anywhere near that for the gelding but in general I think horses are far too cheap to buy.

Nicnac

Visit site
I asked a perfectly reasonable price for mine (£3,500 for a 12yo who was usually placed BE90's, won SJ, highly placed WH, qualified Trec Champs first try etc. with an incredible nature/dream to have around) yet I couldn't sell, so I dropped the price and STILL couldn't sell so I've given up! She's a brilliant horse so if people want to buy rubbish instead for the same price, on they go.

That's far too cheap MagicMelon - people probably thought something wrong with her. In the SE, a horse at that age with a good BE90 record and fit to compete would be £12-15k!

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
That's far too cheap MagicMelon - people probably thought something wrong with her. In the SE, a horse at that age with a good BE90 record and fit to compete would be £12-15k!

Was going to say, you'd be looking at at least £8k for that type of horse?! £3,500 is to cheap.. maybe price higher attract a different market.

hollyandivy123

Visit site
I think you'll always get chancers who simply ask a lot, it works the other way - I asked a perfectly reasonable price for mine (£3,500 for a 12yo who was usually placed BE90's, won SJ, highly placed WH, qualified Trec Champs first try etc. with an incredible nature/dream to have around) yet I couldn't sell, so I dropped the price and STILL couldn't sell so I've given up! She's a brilliant horse so if people want to buy rubbish instead for the same price, on they go.

This girl is asking way too much so no she probably wont get that. I dont think prices have changed much, people ask what they want generally. I got my last 2 horses for free...! I think a lot of the time its whatever is in fashion. As the poster above mentions - Connies seem ridiculously overpriced right now!
sometimes if it seems to cheap people are put off, because there is a catch or they think there is...............she can do that and all they want is this?

rowan666

Visit site
Funny this thread should pop up as I've been repeatedly discussing this exact topic with my friend for a while. She has recently paid 2k for a rising 3yr old (well bred but X bred If that makes sense) i think he's worth what she paid but equally in a year or 2 or 3's time when he's backed and going I can't see him being worth a penny more than she paid before he has any actual life experience or competition/show record under his belt?
I did briefly entertain the idea of buying another project a few months ago but the prices of the most bog standard horses (im talking unbacked gypsy cob/no specific breed types) seems to have rocketed! WHY has the price of horses gone up? Are sellers actually getting these prices or is it just a trend of people trying their luck?

Orchard14

Visit site
It’s difficult because there really is no kind of formal valuation process for horses, I think half the time people just pluck numbers out of thin air and go for it. I will say though that one persons nothing special is someone else’s ideal horse it’s very subjective.
I do find it odd that that ad in the OP for the 19yo mentioned that the horse had tested negative for cushings, makes me wonder what made them decide to test it.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
It’s difficult because there really is no kind of formal valuation process for horses, I think half the time people just pluck numbers out of thin air and go for it. I will say though that one persons nothing special is someone else’s ideal horse it’s very subjective.
I do find it odd that that ad in the OP for the 19yo mentioned that the horse had tested negative for cushings, makes me wonder what made them decide to test it.
I thought that re cushings

Rollin

Visit site
"I paid 3000 Euros for my rising 4 just backed German pony which works out at roughly 66 Euros a month to breed, vets bills for the mare, entry fees to the breed society grading as a foal, gelding and not to mention feed, insurance, farrier and anything else he needed.

There is absolute no way the breeder made any money from him at that price so personally I think horses are massively under priced and until there is a true reflection of the costs the market will continue to be flooded with cheap horses which are passed around for a pittance."

Ditto This. I am a breeder and am amazed at how many people on this forum expect to buy a 'made' horse for £5K or less. 11 months gestation for my mare, 4 yours of feed, bedding, worming vaccination and farrier. M/chip and passport and all for what is in effect £20/week. Tell me how many of you can get livery let along vet and farrier for £20/week? Of course my time over five years is free. I only breed because I am committed to two rare breeds - I in effect fund buyers bargains out of my old age pension.