Horses, psychology and race betting.

1stclassalan

Visit site
What a load of rubbish!

Hmmm..... inclined to agree - after such a great title, I was expecting a huge treatise upon the rights and wrongs but all I got was a few lines of broken english written by a Norwegian!

You could debate the R & W's of racing till the cows come home at odds on that there will roughly a 50/50 split on should/ should not be allowed but we are where we are - thousand of horses being kept alive and new ones bred for no other purpose - I accept that most have a reasonable life, with some reservations over what happens to the ones that drop out and the end game for all.

However betting is quite another story. Here we are asked to participate in a game of skill picking which horse might win - even though they have no interest in actually taking part let alone being the one in front at the end - so we have to take it on trust that the human jockey will run each horse to its full potential - and there we have the problems.

In Britain we accept tactical racing - horses "given a breather" etc., etc., q.e.d. not running to their full potential. I've long lost count of the number of returning jockeys who've said things like "ah well, they went no speed and my fella needs a good gallop!" Many races have pacemakers in them - horses entered with no intention of winning.

Then we have the old tricks of giving a probably winner a bucket of water just before the off and thus have him going out 15lbs heavier - don't tell me this hasn't been done!

Discuss.

Tiny Fluffy Coblet

Visit site
ummm.....gambling? doesn't that mean taking a risk on an uncertain outcome? Yes there is skill involved but surely it depends on millions of things, is the horse in a grump, is the ground just right....that is, I thought, the attraction to betters.