Horses That Do Better Coming In & Not Out 24/7

Elsbells

Visit site
I brought my mare in tonight, not because of the weather, or the lack of grazing or hay as she has plenty of that, or that she's unhappy, although tbh she was at the gate.

I've realised that she's not looking as great as she has in prev years at this time of the year and the only difference to her regime is that she would of been coming in for a few weeks by now and she hasn't. We've moved yards and we are living the dream or so you'd think, as we are allowed 24/7 turnout, in fact it's encouraged, therefore she's now in on her own. She's just not glowing and Elz always glows?
So many people rave about turnout and I'm wondering why she doesn't seem to thrive like so many others? I think this is it and she'll be coming in from now on.

Anyone else have a horse like this? Why?

Shay

Visit site
Both mine come in at night and are happier that way. We have 24/7 in the summer (not in the winter to preserve the fields as best we can) but both lads are genuinely happier in at night. They are horses so can't really tell me why but I have my theories.... I don't think either sleep properly outside. I don't know if it is a herd issue or just what they are used to. But out overnight and both loose sparkle and just seem tired to me. Put them back in and they will be flat on their backs snoring. It might also have to do with having to go get their own food. The cob in particular is very keen on room service!

Both are competition horses. Both in hard work, ridden and competed 6 days out of 7. And they are both genuinely happier in at night. Perhaps it just depends what they are used to.

Princess Rosie

Visit site
All of ours are very keen to come in of a nighttime, even in the summer! Our herd is a mix, retired lad, trotter x, WB, miniatures and none of them will sleep out! My trotter x lived out tethered next to the motorway before she came to me and had never been in a stable, so you would think that she would love being out, she is now the first at the gate to come in and loves being in. Maybe I'm making their stables far to comfy! Lol.

swampdonkey

Visit site
I have an older arthritic mare (18) she is ridden 6 days a week and does well, nothing over taxing but keeping working. She seems to enjoy it and vet and physio have said this is best for her.
They both suggested living out 24/7 so I have tried this on more than 1 occasion but as soon as I get 3 - 4 days in she seems really stiff?
It should in theory be the other way round and we can't figure why this happens. She does lie down in the field and is settled in her herd.
The only difference I can think of is that she wears magnetic stable boots when in at night.
I was looking forward to a mucking out free winter but no, she has other ideas.
Any other arthritic horses do better in at night than out 24/7?

Orangehorse

Visit site
Mine likes to come in during the winter. He has a nice lie down without being bothered by other horses. But he likes to be out in the field during the day, he goes potty if he has to stay in without being ridden.

monte1

Visit site
At my yard, we are very lucky and allowed 24/7 turnout all year round if we want it. but with my horse I have found the best way to manage him is out all night and in during the day. in summer for heat and flies and to keep his weight in check and in winter it also means that as he is clean and dry when I get to the yard after work and I can quickly tack up before totally dark and get a ride in before skipping out and turning him back out again. he seems to like the routine and looks very well on it. plus on the weekends if we want to lie in a bit and not get to yard till 8.30-9am instead of 06.30 he isnt stressing in the stable and making a big mess :). he is fully clipped and holding weight easily, plus as he is currently turned out on his own ( we sold my daughter pony earlier in the year ) he just seems more settled out at night on his own than during the day generally. if weather was really really bad I could swap round and put him in at night, so always the option there.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
With mine it depends on the environment offered. If the option is a huge field, well draining and sheltered, with a settled herd and forage, they are happier out than stabled.

If they are in an individual paddock or a boggy exposed field, they'll choose some respite in a stable.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have nice fields not overgrazed good shelter the package you want.
Two of mine would just hate living out they would do very badly .
One would do ok but he prefers to be stabled .
These three live in at night and get daily turnout in winter .
One we are trying out this winter so far it's seems to be going well.
People ought not listen to much to the 24/7 turnout nazis if their horse is telling them they prefer something different .

Spring Feather

Visit site
It's the opposite at my place. There's about 50 horses who live with me on my farm and they all live out 24/7/365. Some are competition horses, some broodmares, some retired, youngsters and riding horses and they always look sleek and shiny. We have very tough winters here and all horses are rugged and fed ad-lib top quality hay. They have big barns/field shelters that they can go into if they wish and I do spend a lot on hard feed during the winter to keep them all in tip top condition. All of the competition horses and most of the broodmares (ex.comp horses) previously lived inside at nights and really the only difference is the amount of hair they grow nowadays living out compared to how they came here from their indoor living. I do have a block of stables but no one ever uses them. I'd say to have horses living out 24/7/365 over here you do need to factor in it will cost you more to feed them and you really do want the very best hay you can get your hands on. It probably works out marginally cheaper to bring them in but with the right set-up it's not necessary.

Elsbells

Visit site
Interesting replies, thanks and reassuring tbh that it's just not me that feels this way. I agree with shay in that I do think a good sleep, or the lack of it is a major factor.
Well she's had a good night as she bounced out this morning. So obviously B&B works for her.

leflynn

Visit site
Mine is in overnight all year, he seems to prefer it and does better on it so he can stay as he is - he was the only horse on my old yard that dropped weight with summer turnout, no he is in overnight he is much happier and a better weight :)

Moya_999

Visit site
I brought my mare in tonight, not because of the weather, or the lack of grazing or hay as she has plenty of that, or that she's unhappy, although tbh she was at the gate.

I've realised that she's not looking as great as she has in prev years at this time of the year and the only difference to her regime is that she would of been coming in for a few weeks by now and she hasn't. We've moved yards and we are living the dream or so you'd think, as we are allowed 24/7 turnout, in fact it's encouraged, therefore she's now in on her own. She's just not glowing and Elz always glows?
So many people rave about turnout and I'm wondering why she doesn't seem to thrive like so many others? I think this is it and she'll be coming in from now on.

Anyone else have a horse like this? Why?
All our horses prefer to come in every night to warm stable food and hay. I prefer mine to come in as does every one else here.

Moya_999

Visit site
It's the opposite at my place. There's about 50 horses who live with me on my farm and they all live out 24/7/365. Some are competition horses, some broodmares, some retired, youngsters and riding horses and they always look sleek and shiny. We have very tough winters here and all horses are rugged and fed ad-lib top quality hay. They have big barns/field shelters that they can go into if they wish and I do spend a lot on hard feed during the winter to keep them all in tip top condition. All of the competition horses and most of the broodmares (ex.comp horses) previously lived inside at nights and really the only difference is the amount of hair they grow nowadays living out compared to how they came here from their indoor living. I do have a block of stables but no one ever uses them. I'd say to have horses living out 24/7/365 over here you do need to factor in it will cost you more to feed them and you really do want the very best hay you can get your hands on. It probably works out marginally cheaper to bring them in but with the right set-up it's not necessary.

A bit different in your circumstances, as your weather is better than ours. With huge fields like you have, also it must be nicer than our damp country. I know you must get some rain but according to all your photos you post doesn't look like you have any cold winter days :p

Spring Feather

Visit site
A bit different in your circumstances, as your weather is better than ours. With huge fields like you have, also it must be nicer than our damp country. I know you must get some rain but according to all your photos you post doesn't look like you have any cold winter days :p

Our winters usually run at daily averages of around -10c. Last winter was the mother of all winters and daily averages were around -30c. We had a couple of days last winter where it hit -45c. We don't get rain in the winter as it's too cold to rain. We rarely get rain in the summer as it's too hot lol!

I do have large fields and most of them have small 1 - 2 acres paddocks attached to them. The horses rarely leave the paddocks in the winter so the fields end up with 4 foot of snow in them; good for watering the fields in the spring time though. It is unusual to get a lot of rain here at any time, although this autumn we did have a week of the darned stuff. Luckily my farm is completely tile-drained with underground drains so it dries up quickly.

Winters are much harder here for our horses than they are in the UK, but in a different way. The temperatures are the main thing you have to be careful of; and the ice. I wouldn't want to keep horses inside here in the winter as when you turn them out and they hooley around it's an accident waiting to happen. Works much better with them all turned out so they don't have those mad 10 minutes on turning out. It's too dangerous to have horses running around like loonies when the ground is sheet ice.

skint1

Visit site
As long as they have adequate forage I don't have a preference for in or out but my horses definitely like to come in of an evening in the autumn/winter, gives them a break from the never ending rain for one thing

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Mine come in to be ridden, groomed fed etc then back out but I will give in soon and stable by night. 2 of mine hate stables and stress, 2 couldn't be bothered either way and 1 a exmoor pony of all things prefers his stable. He will push through the gate and run down to get in his stable, he's a lazy pony who lives home comforts