Horses that sit on their bottoms travelling.

Jane_Lou

Visit site
Our new mare was not the best of travellers when we got her, much rearing, bucking, kicking was going on in he back! I have played around with the configuration of the partitions and have found something she is happy with and she is now travelling really really well. She is happiest on a slight forward angle in a herringbone lorry. The only problem I still have is she tends to lean on her bottom a bit, she is travelled in a tail bandage and padded tail guard so her tail is fine but on longer journeys she comes off with a filthly bottom where she has been sitting back. I did try giving her more 'length', which changed the angle in her partition but she wasn't happy again and was back to kicking.

I am about to replace the old rubber behind her for stockboard and make it slightly higher as at the moment the rubber stops below tail height for her creating a ridge which doesn't help

I am concerned that she will get sore and I am sure I have seen something that goes down either side of a tail guard to protect their bottoms? Am I going mad or have you brilliant shoppers seen such a thing as I certainly can't find it - I am desperatly hoping to come up with a solution as we are off on our longest journey (couple of hours each way) next Sunday (weather permitting ;))

dieseldog

Visit site
I used to tie a haynet behind mine and she would lean on it and no longer get off the box with a bleeding tail. Didn't matter what I put on her this was the only thing that worked.

Elsbells

Visit site
What do you do if they have to travel in a trailer, so no wall to sit/lean on?

I think my mare is one of these and ended up sitting on and bending a IW bum bar, now she won't go on a trailer at all as she likes to sit on something solid.

TED2010

Visit site
My chap does this as well, I bought a door mat from Mole Valley and rigged it up across the part that he leans on with some cable ties, does the job nicely! :D

Boysy

Visit site
Elsbells, my old lad with the pillow was in a trailer, he used to sit on the ramp so the pillow was tied round the ramp and flicked over once he was loaded up.

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
Our old mare used to do this, but was fixed by making the angle a bit steeper in the lorry, and also we put on a bum pad on the lorry that was hung on the partition bar with twine so she had something padded, that move with her, rather than her sliding side to side.

Still had a pooey bottom, but figured this was more preferable than a mangled bloody one :D

EventingMum

Visit site
We had a problem like this with our mare, she used to end up bleeding even after a short journey. Initially we tried the quarter guard with limited success and then OH bought some fenders from the local chandlers like these: http://www.boatfendersdirect.co.uk/SHOP-G-Series-Fenders.php He tied them together and hung them between the partitions along the wall of the lorry. She hasn't even ruffled the hair on her quarters since and they are easy to wash down or wipe clean if they get covered in dung - well worth the small investment IMO :)

Tempi

Visit site
My mare also sits on her bum when travelling and used to come out with it rubbed raw :( I now use a quarter guard (got mine from Rideaway) and never had any problems since.