Horses trapped in Netherlands

Buddychick

New User
Visit site
Just watching the news, over a 100 horses are trapped on a tiny piece of land in the Netherlands because of flooding waters! Terrible pictures, some have drowned already – rescuers having no idea how to bring them to safety till the waters subside!

Henmen

Visit site
Trapped

frown.gif

airedale

Visit site
Now if this was in the UK we might have a chance of the Royal Engineers sending in a landing craft or a bailey bridge to get the horses off.......but then that is an advantage of having a well trained and competent army - which isn't exactly what the Netherlands is known for ...............

airedale

Visit site
This sometimes happens in the Highlands with the ponies used for deer stalking

they use a small boat and a line to the headcollar and get the pony to swim for it - but held to a straight course and helped with the current by the boat and the outboard engine

Leaving these horses there and trying b-all is unacceptable.

Poor horses

(Lived in the Netherlands for 6 months and didn't like it much - now I know why - AND they eat horsemeat - really says it all)

Rambo

Visit site
If you read the article, they can't allow the horses to swim for it for fear of them getting trapped on submerged wire fencing. It does a seem a little neglectful of the owner to allow them to get into this state in the first place though...I mean that amount of water doesn't just 'appear' does it
crazy.gif

filly190

Visit site
Lets hope they have a chance. I can never get the picture of the elephant in prague zoo drowning, they showed it on the t.v with his trunk just sticking out the water.

I cant watch this type of things, it haunts me too much. If it were possible I would be rolling my sleeves up and going over there to help get it sorted.

airedale

Visit site
If they sent in any competent diver on a line - as per searching quarries for bodies, etc, then the fence could be cut to allow a wide enough passage and two floats attached to each end of the safe gap

then swim the horses thru

again - it took me about 30 sec. to work out a solution to that - and meant to put it in my original post

saying "where there is a will, there is a way" - seems to me the dutch lack a little will - or maybe they are looking forward to lots of little horsemeat steaks :-(((((

k9h

Visit site
If you read that post again they have got them off & seemed to have done all they could & are suing the owner for negligence in the first place for not moving them when theey had storm warning.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Jeez, thats terrible. How on earth could they be left like that to get stranded? Surely if you saw flood waters going round your horses in their field, you'd flippin' move them before it got this bad?! Morons. Glad to see *most* where saved though.