Horses v ponies

pistolpete

Visit site
Musings on potential next horse if I get another! I’m the owner of a highland pony who is now sadly retired due to permanent stifle injury. He is 14 and field sound so will be with me until he is too unwell to continue but in the five ridden years I had him he has drained my confidence.
my precious horse, a Dutch warmblood was a saint and gave me hours of joy although bodily he was quite challenged.
My musing is are horses generally easier to ride than ponies? I know there is loads of variations of this question but interested to hear if anyone has gone back to horses after deciding ponies were just too much! Pic of my lovely horse. Sadly died last year. RIP Pete the legend.

Attachments

• 0BD906C8-59F3-4C2F-80A9-B9AAABC3279D.jpeg
    0BD906C8-59F3-4C2F-80A9-B9AAABC3279D.jpeg
    13.5 KB · Views: 47

Caol Ila

Visit site
I've just bought a Highland. Dare I ask, how did yours drain your confidence? My wee guy is the first pony I have ever owned. My very first horse was a Quarter Horse, then I had a Shire-TBX for 21 years, owned a 3-year old Clyde-TBx as a project to break and sell (I did), and then recently, bought a 3-year old PRE. The Highland, so far, has been less of a drama queen than all of those. Except for the Clyde-X. He was a cool dude. I think if you pushed the Highland's training further and faster than he felt comfortable going, you might run into some stubborn, nappy stuff, but so long as a cajole him along gently, he is very willing, brave and sensible, and way less inclined to do exciting things than the Shire-TBx or the PRE.

pistolpete

Visit site
Well my highland was a late cut late broken gelding who was a show pony before I bought him. He’d been trained very correctly but had minimal hacking experience. He wasn’t too bad when I first had him but unfortunately suffered a bad colic and ended up in surgery not long after I bought him. From then on his and my confidence gradually ebbed away. He is a very sensitive jumpy pony who doesn’t enjoy the company of humans. Totally food driven but not remotely cuddly. Think he would prefer to be back on the hill he came for eight years ago. Sadly he has a fractured stifle so won’t be going anywhere.

PSD

Visit site
Well my highland was a late cut late broken gelding who was a show pony before I bought him. He’d been trained very correctly but had minimal hacking experience. He wasn’t too bad when I first had him but unfortunately suffered a bad colic and ended up in surgery not long after I bought him. From then on his and my confidence gradually ebbed away. He is a very sensitive jumpy pony who doesn’t enjoy the company of humans. Totally food driven but not remotely cuddly. Think he would prefer to be back on the hill he came for eight years ago. Sadly he has a fractured stifle so won’t be going anywhere.

I think it entirely depends on the pony.

I had a Connie x welsh mare who was my heart horse. I did everything with her, but when I lost her I got a fell filly (2year old) who really did nothing for my confidence. Mainly because i couldn’t ride for so long, but she was stubborn, rude and very sharp. I sold her last month because no matter how hard I tried I just didn’t click with her (I had her for over a year). I also think it’s because she was a mare and I was constantly comparing her. I’ve recently bought a section c gelding and he is a complete dream, although I haven’t moved from ponies to horses I don’t think it’s just a pony “thing” for them to be different to horses. I think it’s just finding the one that suits you, horses can be as much of a PITA as ponies!

However I am biased, I don’t particularly like bigger horses. I feel over horsed, but some people prefer them. It’s so hard to find one to fill the gap of a heart horse too, but I really do think it’s just a case of finding the right one for you - be it a horse or pony!

Lintel

Visit site
I would say “in my opinion” horses take guidance easier than ponies.
From those that I have ridden I have always found horses easier to negotiate to a fence or round an obstacle, whereas with ponies they seem to do it their own way- which isn’t always a bad thing to be fair, on the other hand I don’t always appreciate the uncertainty of whether I am keeping my kneecaps whilst going through a gate, or whether we are really going to make it over the fence when we took off 6ft before it!

windand rain

Visit site
Generally speaking the smaller the equine the more brains it has. Ponies are quick to learn, move more suddenly and can turn on a sixpence but a good pony will always outwit a big horse. Horses are generally slower moving less likely to outwit you and are much higher from the ground and stronger if they take exception to omething so basically by the time the horse has reacted the pony will have left the area (joke)

SEL

Visit site
I have a 13h exmoor x Dales and she's very, very sweet natured compared to my big Appy x mare - but I'd agree with Lintel that she likes to do things her own way! She has massively given me my hacking confidence back though so I'll forgive her a few bashed kneecaps. I've generally found ponies to have their heads screwed on in a self preservation kind of way.

Griffin

Visit site
I think it entirely depends on the individual horse/pony. I have had very clever horses and slightly dim ponies and vice versa! I do think ponies tend to have a sense of mischief though that horses lack.

My personal opinion is that animals who are a bit grumpy tend to be more intelligent.

I'm Dun

Visit site
The majority of highlands are easy gong creatures prone to a bit of nappiness rather than anything more exciting. Theres a small handful who are sharp. I dont know if its breeding lines or physical issues or a combination of both. PSSM has now been found in highlands which is devastating news and may account for some of it.

We backed my 3yr old by chucking a rider on him in the field and off he went. Hes a dude. I wouldnt have done that with the TB. Hes also laid back and easy going but definitely more reactive by nature.

Skib

sites.google.com
My long term 15h Connie is excluded from this. I regarded her as a horse.
As a RS rider I found horses far easier than the ponies. More compliant for a start: ponies were used for child riders and became accustomed to taking many decisions for themselves.
And physically ponies were less easy to sit, having a more bouncy trot. And were more likely to buck if you thwarted their longing to divert from the track. It is hard to make a real comparison because I rode a rotation of ponies whereas the horses were long term rides and because I rode them so often, they went as I like horses to go. My RI told me not to buy anything under 15h.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
i think it totally depends on the individual, but on the whole the pony brain is a *thing* and you either like the way their survival instincts colour the horse-rider relationship or you don't ;)
I love it, my pony is the most difficult ride I've ever had but I enjoy doing stuff with her SO much more than the horses I've had because she's so smart and quick witted.
a good part bred is often a fabulous compromise.

I do think there are plenty of exceptions though, i am getting the feeling that of my 2 youngsters, the TB is going to be a typical "horse" whereas my WB is much more ponyish in her head. She's intended to be a keeper so I'm pretty happy about that.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I love ponies I used to ride show ponies as a job when I was a young adult and really loved it, most were Welsh x arab so can be sharp and hot but I never had any real issues and rarely came off.

I have arabs now so they are generally small horses and I think I like that kind of height the best sort of 14.3 to 15.3, they can be hot and sharp but generally they are fairly easy to do most of the time, I just love Arab's ?they are my absolute favourite.

I did have a TB x NF she was 15.2 and although she did have a bit of a screw loose she jogged and pranced everywhere I never felt scared or nervous of her and my god she was so fast.

I also had a lovely 16.3 Oldenburg mare she was so safe to ride my oh hacked her and he can't even ride, she had the sweetest temperament and was so loving I would love another warmblood I think I would struggle to get another like Grace though.

I do find myself looking at Welsh c and d I do really like those maybe one day.

Peglo

Visit site
My old TB had been retired 4 years and I decided to get another haflinger as my first one is my heart pony. Best decision ever to get another pony. New girl is only 6 so it was a bit risky as I hadn’t ridden that much in the 4 years but she’s so funny and I love cantering about the country side. I feel like a 13 year old again and she’s given me so much confidence back. She has reminded me how fun riding can be. (Had a couple years of fighting with the TB before I decided to retire her.) I would definitely recommend a pony but I guess it all depends on what people like ?

SO1

Visit site
Big difference between ponies and native ponies. Native ponies need to be intelligent enough to survive without human intervention on mountain and moorlands. They can be quite opinionated and harder to dictate to them as it is their nature to make their own decisions about their safety. They also can be quite herd driven as well again safety in numbers. However some of the more modern natives can be more like small warmbloods.

A British riding pony more like a mini TB can be quite different as can the part breeds and cobs.

I have had a new forest for the last 14 years. He is a great pony but he can be a bit spooky and if he doesn't like something it can be very difficult to persuade him otherwise. He really hates rubbish and plastic bags but at the same time big county shows with music and lots of people are absolutely no problem. I think he feels safe due to all the horses. He is also a real escape artist he will go where he wants to go, mainly where there is more grass.

He can be very lazy in the school but can be quite sharp out hacking when he is more on alert. He is at his best in the show ring when he feels safe due to others horses but a bit more lively and less lazy though he can fall asleep in the line up. He had a little snooze at Royal Windsor but he is 19 now so that is allowed.

I am only 5.2ft and I quite like the look of the British riding pony or SHP and I wonder if they are a slightly easier ride perhaps more like a horse than a native as bred more to follow human command.

Last edited:

oldie48

Visit site
I think it's totally down to the individual and a great deal to how well they have been produced as youngsters. On balance I think ponies may be a bit brighter than horses which means if they are badly produced they can be trickier to put "right" but some of our horses have been pretty smart. Our best/most successful mount was a pony ie 148cm but he was a TB/connie cross and had the best from both breeds in spades but as a youngster he was sharp and nappy and could easily have become a nightmare. After a very successful career with my daughter he became the perfect schoolmaster and taught many young teens to event safely, just adapting wonderfully to the rider but not taking advantage of the less confident.

PSD

Visit site
My old TB had been retired 4 years and I decided to get another haflinger as my first one is my heart pony. Best decision ever to get another pony. New girl is only 6 so it was a bit risky as I hadn’t ridden that much in the 4 years but she’s so funny and I love cantering about the country side. I feel like a 13 year old again and she’s given me so much confidence back. She has reminded me how fun riding can be. (Had a couple years of fighting with the TB before I decided to retire her.) I would definitely recommend a pony but I guess it all depends on what people like ?

This is exactly how my section c makes me feel! He’s so fun but really sensible, it definitely is a personal preference though.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I love ponies that have grown up on the hills. They know how to look after themselves and I like that especially when riding on tricky ground. They won't let you accidentally ride them into a bog. I must admit I find a lot of horses come across as a bit dim.
We have a joke that no matter how big or small a horse is they have the same number of braincells but the smaller they are the less are needed to control the legs so they have more time to plot, hence Shetlands?

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I think it entirely depends on the individual horse/pony. I have had very clever horses and slightly dim ponies and vice versa! I do think ponies tend to have a sense of mischief though that horses lack.

My personal opinion is that animals who are a bit grumpy tend to be more intelligent.

Does this apply to humans? ?

Quigleyandme

Visit site
My first equine was a Dales who developed life-long habits after one experience. For instance: I got lost on a very complex endurance ride and was guided by a steward on a motor bike that he drove at quite a lick with us in pursuit. Every time we saw a motor bike after that he chased it. I once asked him to climb up a fairly safe bank to allow a very large hay waggon and drag to pass. Thereafter he would scramble up vertical banks with me clinging on for dear life at the sight of a small car. After riding shotgun on hound exercise once he would come to a sudden and emphatic halt every time our lurcher stopped to sniff something which was every few yards. A kind man in an open top car who stopped to ask directions gave him a polo. Many unsuspecting drivers of luxury sports cars were subjected to a slobbery stop and search as they politely eased past in first gear. Then there was his talent for amateur dramatics like pretending to be on his knees with exhaustion when we reached the end of a pleasure ride and being three parts dead when the vet arrived even if it was only for a dental. He was my best pal but the horses I have had since have been much easier if not as much “fun”.

eahotson

Visit site
I had a Highland once.Very sweet chap but frightened me to death to ride.Turned out he had a cataract in one eye which explained a lot.If I had a horse now that seemed to be very spooky I would always have the eyesight checked.Got Welsh section D and he has been a sweetheart.

Visit site
It entirely depends on what you want to get out of it as to how you train the horse or pony.

Over the years I have had many different breeds. I have never really got on with Welsh but the D we have is a complete sweety if a little opinionated at times.

My Fell pony was one of the best ponies i have ever had. 100% safe in every respect and certainly not a plod!

My Dartmoor is a bit spesh! Apart from being cold backed and can not gallop to save himself he is also bombproof and quite fun to ride.

Of the many Shetlands over the years Flint was by far and away the best one! He liked going fast! He could be quirky to catch but once you knew how to catch him he really was no issue at all. He was great fun to ride even if he did spook and spin on a sixpence if a blade of grass looked at him funny!

Of my horses they have all been ex-racers that I worked with before I took them home. Jeff was very sensible though he could get worried at times. Go anywhere, do anything kind of guy. Gray is just a twat! Honestly he is! He is brilliant fun! Totally bombproof in traffic but its the magical pixie faeries hiding in the bushes you need to watch out for! Some of the work horses are just brilliant too and I would have brought some of them home with me if I could. Maraweh was an absolute riot! So happy go lucky in everything you asked him to do. Borris was the opposite, he was a grumpy bugger but again totally awesome and would never say no no matter how mad the task was! The tb's i took home didn't really give me any vet's bills so maybe I was quite lucky or maybe it's because i turned them into honourary native ponies that they coped so well.

You just need to figure out what you want from them.

southerncomfort

Visit site
My first equine was a Dales who developed life-long habits after one experience. For instance: I got lost on a very complex endurance ride and was guided by a steward on a motor bike that he drove at quite a lick with us in pursuit. Every time we saw a motor bike after that he chased it. I once asked him to climb up a fairly safe bank to allow a very large hay waggon and drag to pass. Thereafter he would scramble up vertical banks with me clinging on for dear life at the sight of a small car. After riding shotgun on hound exercise once he would come to a sudden and emphatic halt every time our lurcher stopped to sniff something which was every few yards. A kind man in an open top car who stopped to ask directions gave him a polo. Many unsuspecting drivers of luxury sports cars were subjected to a slobbery stop and search as they politely eased past in first gear. Then there was his talent for amateur dramatics like pretending to be on his knees with exhaustion when we reached the end of a pleasure ride and being three parts dead when the vet arrived even if it was only for a dental. He was my best pal but the horses I have had since have been much easier if not as much “fun”.

That made me laugh so much. I think my Fell could quite easily become like that. He is frighteningly clever. You only ever have to show him something once and that's it learnt for life. My instructor now can't say walk, trot or halt as he complies immediately without any input from me.

Absolutely love the bones of him!

Nudibranch

Visit site
I like ponies, I've gone back to them after many years of TBs and WBs for the simple reason they break less easily.
I have a 15hh Dales (technically not a pony I suppose) and a 13.2 Fell x. They're both versatile and easy to do when they know that yes means yes and no means no. That said I would not class them as novice ponies by any means. They'd take a mile. The Dales used to flip herself over when we started groundwork as a 3yo. Proper madam. She's an absolute legend now but you could see how it could easily go wrong.
Horses ime are a bit more straightforward.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Well up till recent years I've always insisted I want a "horse" - and that's exactly what I've done, tended to stick with something around the 15hh mark as I'm not a tall or heavy rider. Even when I was a kid/teenager; my first "pony" was actually more like a horse - he was 14.1 but rode much bigger and didn't have the mischievousness of a pony.

However my last purchase was a 13.2 just-backed, 4yo when I bought her 4 years ago (profile pic).

I'd said all along I was looking for a horse and "didn't want a pony"......... famous last words! It was actually quite weird going back onto a pony, but she is as safe as houses and rides much bigger than her 13.2 height. She is very intelligent - as I actually believe ponies are!!! - and if I let her get away with anything then I know it!!

Think ponies are deffo the terriers of the horse-world tbh.

J&S

Visit site
I would always have said ponies over horses, but, in the past 5 years I have had the ride on the most generous, honest and biddable horse ever. I do think he is a one in a million though. My NF mare had attitude, quality and brains but also a generous nature, my coloured mare, at 14.3, is in many ways a small horse, rather than a pony, with TB/Arab/ID breeding.She has taken on any task and excelled in PC ( junior)and adult events. The NF mare was probably the least "easy" ride but she quietened down in old age.

SO1

Visit site
Is is a fallacy that native ponies don't need the vets mine is on his second round of box rest rehab for a soft tissue injury, he has had a broken splint bones, needed the vet for gassy colic, had to go to RVC for an ECG, had to be scooped for breathing difficulties and had various skin issues.

[QUOTE="Elf On A Shelf, post: 14708710, member:

The tb's i took home didn't really give me any vet's bills so maybe I was quite lucky or maybe it's because i turned them into honourary native ponies.

You just need to figure out what you want from them.[/QUOTE]