Horses who,ve had a wind operation.

TicTac

Visit site
Can you tell me about them and if you have ancountered any problems with your horse because of it. Thanks

( also in veterinary )

lannerch

Visit site
Mine has had a hobday and tie back , before the op you could hear him uphill or in canter now you never hear him and he never runs out of puff.
The only difference is he can cough on warm up when you first trot ( not always ) he can have clear snot coming out of his nose if he's had a blow out and travelled back in the trailer, and he cannot neigh properly .

TicTac

Visit site
Mine has had a hobday and tie back , before the op you could hear him uphill or in canter now you never hear him and he never runs out of puff.
The only difference is he can cough on warm up when you first trot ( not always ) he can have clear snot coming out of his nose if he's had a blow out and travelled back in the trailer, and he cannot neigh properly .

Thanks lannerch. Is a tb by any chance or an ex racehorse?

Tilda

Visit site
At his vetting my vet picked up that he thinks my horse has had a tieback op. He thinks this because he has a very hoarse (scuse the pun!) whinny and he coughs as Lannerch's horse does usually on his first trot. He was sure he could feel scar tissue around his throat. Mine does still make a bit of noise but not when he has worked hard he does it at odd times like when he is walking back from the field. He is still perfectly capable of a good gallop and whizzing around a showjumping course and next week we will find out if he can cope with xcountry! He is making a little noise at the moment as he has put on some extra after a week off and my YM who has a horse that is a roarer says she also gets worse when she is fatter or unfit. I was lucky I had him on loan for 4 months before I bought him so got to see if he was capable of everything I wanted to do.

Max is a medium weight cob so not a horse you would usually associate with a tie back!

TicTac

Visit site
The replies are encouraging as I am about to purchase an ex racehorse who has had a tie back and soft pallett op. But I only discovered this when I was looking into his racing career and subsequent sale description.

He will be an allrounder and family horse and will never be put under the same physical excertion again as when he was NH racing. I gave him a good trial when I went to look at him including jumping and I didn't suspect anything odd and for that reason as well I am only going to have a 2 stage vetting.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Iv brought 2 like it. First was not known to me until in fast work where she would make a noise but never bothered her and hunted every season. She just slowed down a bit if she needed to until she caught her breath back. 2nd has had 2 failed ops for soft palet and left with no voice just a grunt noise but again don't effect him so I don't worry at all about wind problems as even for hunting they seem fine to me

lannerch

Visit site
Mine is 3/4 tb 1/4 hv he is 17.2 so I suspect his size is a lot of the reason he needed the op.
He events now though no problem always finishes well no noise ever heard :)

cptrayes

Visit site
Laser hobday and tieback. No problems at all except slightly greater chance of getting infections in the nose (1 every 2 years roughly) Never coughed.

You may have restricted insurance cover, other than that I would not turn down a horse with a tieback.

Goldenstar

Visit site
One with a partial tie back sometimes has a cough after travel other than that he's fine he had it a three when he was on a racing yard it will never affect his level of work with me.

Visit site
My theory behind buying horses that have previosuly had wind ops is - they will always have needed the op so at least it has saved you a couple of grand, box rest, field rest and build up work!

One of mine has had a Hobday and he wheezes rather than winneys. Of all of the ones I have worked with in training only one failed and that was due to a dodgy op. None of them have ever had a problem with their breathing or anything else otherwise. There is a very small, and I mean tiny, risk that food could go down the wrong way and cause problems but it is so rare it is barely ever mentioned when horses get op'd on.

If the horse suits you then please don't be put off by a wind op - it's a help rather than a hindrence, it wouldn't have been done otherwise.

ZondaR

Visit site
My friend's horse had it several years ago. His breathing was very bad, you could hear him from a mile away and it was really affecting his performance and he was clearly distressed by work that put any bit of pressure on his lungs. He had the hobday and tieback and has not looked back since. He's a different horse and Friend says he is now difficult to slow down! He coughs at the start of exercise and can not neigh. It's a sad wheeze. I would not be put off buying a horse that has had these ops and would recommend them if necessary. Made a big positive difference to my friend's horse.