Horses, who'd have them?!

Tern

Visit site
My day started off fine. Went to the yard, got back ache and then had a lesson. Lesson went fantastically (wasn't on either of my horses) and horse felt wonderful.

Got home, had an accidental nap and then decided to go and ride the Cart Horse as he hadn't been ridden in a week or so. All is fine. He's a bit grumpy because of the flies but that's just him!

Get there. Start grooming while being attacked by flies.. I resorted to spraying myself with fly spray. In the face. In the eyes.. ouch.

Why would everything go perfectly when I realise my horse is missing half his skin on his back leg. Okay, maybe not half but still about 4 significant but minor slices. Typically I have no first aid on me apart from silly green wound cream so I plaster a bit of that on.

All very jolly. Get on and ride towards the paddock to ride in. Other horse merrily eating like she usually does. Go through the fence that has been kindly opened for me with long reins and one stirrup on.. thinking "i'll put the other one on when I get in the field, just in case."

Suddenly cow-bag mare decides to gallop through fencing. Gets it stuck on her neck and legs. Cart horse gets scared and gallops off too.. with me aboard. I do the famous boob-pull on the reins and we start bronking. Cart horse then drops his shoulder and off i go.. flying. Get up.. cow-bag has stopped galloping and Cart Horse is traumatized. :)rolleyes:)

Of course, I get back on and ride Cart Horse. Drive home and I now can't walk on my ankle that I think I twisted. Oopsie. Nothing is every simple! 16.3hh Cart Horse is very sorry and still very traumatized.. cow-bag is in the dog house and is refusing to talk to us!

Anybody else have an interesting day? :D

suffolkmare

Visit site
Not today, but empathise with ankle injury. In May I put my foot down a rabbit hole, NOT intended! Long story short it still hurts, especially when "walking" (mad 5month old working cockers DON'T walk...run, bounce, stop dead to sniff, run other way, but NEVER walk!) the pup. I am convinced riding makes it feel better...
Hope Cart Horse soon gets over the trauma.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
Oh bless ya, I can also sympathise with the ankle injury! I feel off the muck trailer in February, my left ankle has only just repaired, was so painful!

hopefully you haven't done too much damage