horses with artheritus

SJ_06

Visit site
would you ever consider buying a horse that has very miled artheritus in one of its legs? my friends horse has it, but its a fantastic jumper, jumps foxhunters bsja ect and the artheritus obviousely never bothers it, i dont think she even notices it! so what do you think? would you take that risk for a real decent hard to find horse?

brightmount

Visit site
I kind of get the feeling you want a horse you can compete hard, and therefore I wouldn't, to be fair to the horse. Although there is a whole range of supplements for arthritis, over the long term I wouldn't expect this horse to benefit from hard competition, and he may go lame before important events etc which will throw up dilemmas for you. I would take on a horse with arthritis for light work, and hacking, but I think the horse needs a bit of sympathy and shouldn't be pushed beyond its physical limits.

SJ_06

Visit site
lol its not for me! my mate is thinking of selling and just wanted to know weather its worth bothering if shes not gonna get any interest because of its problem.

brightmount

Visit site
Oh in that case there's no reason to assume there would be no interest, as a lot of people only want to hack and do light schooling etc and I would think joint supplements would help the horse for many years to come. So long as your friend is open about the arthritis and sees that he goes to an appropriate home
smile.gif