Horses with CPL..experiences please

EmmasMummy

Visit site
So, I went to see a horse today and it is PERFECT in so many ways. However it has CPL due to previous mite issue.
I have done some googling and its the general, keep legs clean, keep the horse exercising and fit and mentions the use of pressure bandages - Basically the same as I have to do for my leg issue!

I did note that it will be an ongoing and possibly progressive disease, which can result in death.

I am trying to weigh up if this is going to be too much to take on, as I will only be riding 3/4 times a week at max.

And as I say before, horse is perfect in every other aspect.

be positive

Visit site
It is a chronic and progressive condition so the horse would have to be genuinely "perfect" in EVERY other way which is unlikely, price, if there is any money to change hands, needs to be very low to reflect the cost of ongoing treatment that cannot be insured against, knowing how busy your life can be I would probably steer clear as this condition could be very time consuming to keep on top of and each time it has a flare up will require even more care.
The progressive nature of such a condition will mean if it does have a flare up it will probably be worse each time and more likely to reoccur more frequently, it will be a life long commitment and potentially life limiting.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would ask a vet for an independent opinion on this. Are you absolutely certain that the horse has lymphangitis?
My mare has old scarring from pastern dermatitis which I have recently realised, after trying all sorts of 'treatments', including Dectomax and the vets favourite potion, is caused by wheat and molasses in her diet. She cannot have even a tiny amount of either or it flares up again, so now the treatment is obvious.
If the horse is perfect in every other way and this horse has scarring but not a progressive illness (Depending on vet report) I would go ahead but I would not buy something with a diagnosed progressive illness. There is enough heartbreak in horses without knowingly buying it.

EmmasMummy

Visit site
Yes, I was told when went to view it. Really is perfect bar this. I definitely would need a horse that is ok to be left with just a quick check over some days, and from my research it seems that ridden every day, the clipping and being kept dry will help.
It was a horse that I felt my soul skip when I saw it, and it was good with my child being an utter pest, then when the riders phone went off and she answered it he plodded on as normal. Has the usual Cob niggles, but EXACTLY the same issues my last one had that we got over. But I admit I agree, that for me, this leg issue isnt manageable - if I didn't have kids then yes I would easily do it as I would have all the hours in the day.

Feel a wee bit sad :(. But have to be realistic when its a health issue that could be exacerbated easily.