Horseware Icevibe Boots

Quadro

Visit site
Morning,
Has anyone got any experiance of these boots? Good or Bad ?
Fatboy did a tendon a few years ago and has tweaked it again although fingers crossed its nothing major but was looking at these for recovery and prevention.
There not cheap so wanted folks opinions before i get the plastic out!
Thanks all!!
Q

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Watching with interest, like some of the ideas but wonder how practical and easy to use they are considering the cost. Would love to hear from someone who has them.

Steerpike

Visit site
I used these boots for the first time last weekend after competing in an endurance ride, they are easy to use and reduced the amount of swelling there would be in the legs.

rhino

Visit site
My friend bought a pair for her horse at the start of the season, like yours, he had previous tendon issues. She's not impressed at all with them, and the horse doesn't appear to like them either, which is bizarre as he is happy with the equissage and ice boots :confused:

The designer/seller was on here raving about them but appears to have been banned. I also don't like some of the claims being made on their website, which don't appear to have any scientific basis, but that's just me :p

If you do buy I'd love to hear how you get on :)

amage

Visit site
Plenty of scientific back up for them. They are absolutely brilliant I love them. We have one that we got to rehab having done both tendons he is back in work now and the boots have been invaluable in getting him right and startig strengthening work without repercussions in the legs. They are not a cure they don't claim to be a cure but they are an excellent complement to treatment. We use them on everything daily and have found them more than worth the money. I have incidentally laid on top of them to help my own back and got great relief from them.

rhino

Visit site
Plenty of scientific back up for them.

I'd love to see it then, equine specific data please :) For this claim in particular if possible

they do this by increasing blood flow to the tendons and ligaments making them more elastic

They don't claim it as a cure, no, as they are not stupid. They do say

. Such advice and information has not been compiled by veterinarian surgeons but is based on accumulated knowledge and experience of use of the Ice-vibe boot (equipment) by professional equestrians, who therefore do not assume responsibility for technical accurateness/correctness.

as part of their extensive medical disclaimer, which is also a good way to get out of demonstrating efficacy or coherent research.

Glad you are finding they help, have you used vibrational therapy previously? :)

Last edited:

amage

Visit site
Can't quote as on phone...stupid Internet not working in house after storm last night. There are papers done on the benefits of vibrational therapy and as you said ice therapy. I have read these myself after being interested following the success we saw with the boots. The key thing I find with the boots is they don't drop the temperature too low for too long which can be a problem. Too cold for too long and there can be damage done to cells. On the back of how good I personally found the boots I have been in contact with the developer and subsequently given feedback on what way we use them, how often we use them in rehab and the timeframes we have found successful. As with any new product only with feedback can they be improved. It was my vet who first advised we try them. There is research specific to the boots being carried out. One thing I can say is that despite not knowing the developer personally I have found her incredibly helpful and interested in feedback good and bad. It is worth contacting her with specific queries

dafthoss

Visit site
Another who would like to see a paper if any one has one.

I like the idea, just like lots of equestrian products they seem to have lots of claims on the adverts that cant be backed up.

rhino

Visit site
Thank you, that's really interesting. I did ask Louisa on here, but I'm guessing if she is banned she may not have seen it.

There seems to be more pseudoscience surrounding vibrational 'therapy' than nearly any other complementary strategy aimed at healing. Whether it's the vibrational products created by Mr Kellogg in the 19th century (yes he of cornflake fame) or the Russian astronaut research, up to more modern research, claims have been made that it aids weight loss, increases testosterone production, strength, fitness, performance, you name it. As yet I haven't seen a single study with any degree of scientific rigour. Nothing is available on a literature search either :confused:

The Ice Vibe boots were the innovation winner of the BETA new product awards this year, so they must have impressed there!

ETA dafthoss, if you go to blogcritics.org/scitech and do a search, there are a number of posts on vibration therapy, it is far from being a 'new' thing :)

Last edited:

Quadro

Visit site
Thanks amage thats really helpful, ive bought a pair and im really looking forward to seeing how they work :)
Rhino, i see where you are coming from with the vibration thing and i know those vibrating plates are all the rage for weight loss! Im very much into scientific proof for everything but i do think there are some cases where we know that some thing works but we don't know how ! Eg in my line of work we use ECT (yes its still being used not just something from films!) and it can't be fully explained why it works but i have seen it save peoples lives!!
Q

langside

Visit site
Quadro you won't be disappointed i love mine use them for warming up as well as after gallop/ comp work - the biggest techno-phobe/ non-horsey user could work them

amage

Visit site
Rhino I pm'd you but not sure if it sent. Quadro I'm glad you found my info useful....feel free to pm me if you have any further questions or would like to be put in contact with Louisa for further info or with feedback!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site

Quadro

Visit site
Langside thats good news!! Was hoping to use them for that as well as the injury! Amage that would be good if you could put me in touch with Louisa very kind of you :)
Q

amage

Visit site
PM sent...if you don't get it let me know....sometimes the phone is a bit temperamental about sending pms!

rhino

Visit site
No pm received :(

As for the other product linked, wouldn't ice cube bags and tubigrip do exactly the same thing for a fraction of the price? At least the ice vibes do more than just cool the legs...

Quadro

Visit site
Got it thanks :D Rhino i already have the premier equine cool wraps which i got for about £12 i think and i use them with a tendon boot shell (the John Whitaker ones which you can remove the linnings from) so ive got that area cover and was cheaper than the ones linked ;)
Q

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
No pm received :(

As for the other product linked, wouldn't ice cube bags and tubigrip do exactly the same thing for a fraction of the price? At least the ice vibes do more than just cool the legs...

:rolleyes:

Well seeing you have no clue to the reason why I need these, funny thing to say at least they do more than cool the leg?????:confused:

I have used 7 different types of cool boots and experiment many others , this one is the best.

I have used ice cube bags (no good) As usual your comment is negative. I have come to expect that from you. You always like to think your right.

Might have escaped you, that some people don't want newfangled gadgets they just want a good quality easy to apply cold boot which this is hence why its posted here. If you have a problem with it ...................

Last edited:

rhino

Visit site

I have used 7 different types this one is the best.

I have used ice cube bags (no good) As usual comment is negative.

Seeing I have the item AND a few others I think I can safely say. I am pleased and seeing thats what I want to do cool the leg.

I'm glad you've found something that works for you, however my reply was not negative. Personally I find icecube bags just as effective and cost a few pence. Isn't it lovely that we can both put across our points of view on here :rolleyes:

rhino

Visit site

Well seeing you have no clue to the reason why I need these, funny thing to say at least they do more than cool the leg?????:confused:

I have used 7 different types of cool boots and experiment many others , this one is the best.

I have used ice cube bags (no good) As usual your comment is negative. I have come to expect that from you. You always like to think your right.

Might have escaped you, that some people don't want newfangled gadgets they just want a good quality easy to apply cold boot which this is hence why its posted here. If you have a problem with it ...................

Oh you're now editing posts :cool:

Yes, the ice vibe boots also offer a vibrational therapy programme, which explains their price and the interest in them, as a novel concept. No-one is trying to get you to buy newfangled gadgets :confused:

There are plenty of cool boots and improvised versions on the market, you linked to one you like and I explained what I chose to use and why. Not sure why you're getting your knickers in a twist, other than your continual apparent need to make personal comments to me on threads. Which is even more odd as you have repeatedly claimed to have me on UI :confused: How odd!

ETA sorry OP, your thread seems to have been hijacked :( Could you keep us updated about the boots please!

Last edited:

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Oh you're now editing posts :cool:

There are plenty of cool boots and improvised versions on the market, you linked to one you like and I explained what I chose to use and why. Not sure why you're getting your knickers in a twist, other than your continual apparent need to make personal comments to me on threads. Which is even more odd as you have repeatedly claimed to have me on UI :confused: How odd!

ETA sorry OP, your thread seems to have been hijacked :( Could you keep us updated about the boots please!

Don't flatter yourself so much, it was your comment saying these ice vibes were better than my link , because they do more than cool the leg, so I think you will find you commented on my post not the other way round.
I merely put a link to a new product which I received which is good. that was the end on my post on this thread but you added your bit obviously directed at my post.

MY 1 comment was feedback on something that works something I have tried and you have not which I was sharing with others it was not up for debate on whether it was as good as etc..

So your comment was not negative?? where is the positive in this??

As for the other product linked, wouldn't ice cube bags and tubigrip do exactly the same thing for a fraction of the price? At least the ice vibes do more than just cool the legs..

As for your comment on ignore . Someone can be on ignore but you can still click on view post something you obviously don't know.

Now that is all I am prepared to say.

Last edited:

dafthoss

Visit site
Personally I find icecube bags just as effective and cost a few pence. Isn't it lovely that we can both put across our points of view on here :rolleyes:

I beg to differ mine cost me the grand total of £4! Thats a lot of pennies :eek::p. But they are reusable ones so its ok I splashed out :D

rhino

Visit site
So your comment was not negative?? where is the positive in this??

Now that is all I am prepared to say.

I asked a question! To which you could have quite easily responded with your opinion. Either 'yes' the have the same effect, or 'no' they are in some way superior.

I am glad you edited your post again. Any more personal comments will be reported.

I beg to differ mine cost me the grand total of £4! Thats a lot of pennies :eek::p. But they are reusable ones so its ok I splashed out :D

You was robbed! http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=257134119 These are like the ones I get, though not from there. 13p a time and can also be reused :p

dafthoss

Visit site

rhino

Visit site
I used to use them but mum would always throw them away :mad: despite me writing all over them saying not to :mad: some thing about not wanting dirty ice cube bags in th freezer that had been all over the pony :confused::rolleyes:. So I got some less disposable ones :D

But how dare she put food in the freezer when it is needed for your horse's stuff! :mad: :eek:

Binkyireland

Visit site
Hey guys,interesting reading from all sides here.I have a 9yr old event horse who developed djd everywhere suddenly-diagnosed on a bone scan and follow up xrays.I was looking for complimentary therapies to help make him more comfortable as quickly as possible and having used a biomag machine for many years,I was interested to learn as much as I could about other methods of promoting blood flow to aid healing.We are all familiar with tens machines,ultrasound,biomag,equissage,physiotherapy etc which all basically increase bloodflow/circulation to aid healing and reduce inflammation.Some are also familiar with new thinking on things like tendon injuries where instead of box resting for months,we now hand walk for increasing lengths of time during the rehab.As most of you know,the biggest reason for doing this is to increase blood flow to the damaged area by boosting circulation and metabolism,thus speeding up the healing process.This type of approach is widely used in injured sports people and athletes too.The Icevibe boot seemed to me to be a really good idea after research as it provided a theraputic,non invasive way for me to help my horse-essentially the ice vibe boot is first and foremost a massage boot.It is not a veterinary product,it is a non invasive therapy product which has a panel inside it driven by electrical motors to create a vibrating motion at approx 30 hertz.The vibration from the boot creates vibration in the leg-ie. movement without having to move the whole horse-much like other vibrating massage pads currently in use in the equine market.Movement from vibration stimulates blood flow to the moving,vibrating area-this is a no-brainer if you are adventurous in other areas of your life (!!) or use something like the circulation booster. (as seen on tv)
Anyway,those were some of the reasons I decided to try Icevibe.After much and lengthy consultation with those in the know,I started off with a pair.My guy is affected on his off fore and near hind.Due to the djd,he has also put up a large splint on the near hind,small chain splints on the off fore and a lump over his off fore fetlock joint-his body was struggling,and trying to scaffold itself.( I should add at this point that the horse has NEVER thus far been lame from the above condition,but had been reluctant to travel freely forwards and was not 'himself',hence why I investigated further)I then thought that the intelligent thing would really be to use two sets of the boots-do to one leg as to the other-so I began using the boots before exercise for 20 mins with the gel packs heated up.This causes huge blood flow to the area and dilates the blood vessels and tissues around his fetlocks which makes his joints fill up a little bit.I take them off,and by the time I am putting boots or bandages on his legs feel nice and warm and the filling in the joint disperses,in his case leaving perfect legs.He pulls out to work like a 3 yr old,is back jumping and scoring 70%+ at novice and elem. dressage.When he has finished work,I then apply cold packs from the coldest shelf in the fridge and put the ice vibes back on all 4 legs for a further 20 mins.Since I have been using this product,he is moving better than he has in two years,is loving his work,has started playing and sproinging about again when ridden and has perfect,cold hard tight legs every morning I open his door.Filling of his joints was a major problem for this horse before so I am thrilled that it isn't happening anymore.Perhaps the most noteable thing for me,apart from the superb condition of his legs now,is that in the time I have been using these boots,both the front and hind splints and the lump on his off fore fetlock joint have significantly reduced by over 70%.Obviously I can't prove in black and white that it was because of the boots,but the splints are 8 months old and had not reduced at all until I used this product.Its not sold as a miracle cure,I didn't buy it expecting all our problems to disappear but I have been thrilled with the results.This is a genuine account of my experience and i hope it can help others.There are always yays and nays for every thing,person,situation and product on this earth-debate is healthy and we are none of us the same.I recommend the product and I know it will help many others as it has helped me.