Horseware rugs

Shavings

Visit site
So that’s it!!
I am converting!
Chance has worn a friends rhino rug today and it fitted lovely and kept him dry on one of the wettest days of the year!!

so I am now going to slowly replace all chances rugs for horseware ones

my question to you all is these

do Rambo for the same as the rhinos ?

is there any where you would recommend buying from? As I may be buying a few at once

and what do the necks attach /detach like?
The one we wore today was a old combo (blue check style)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I must sound like a broken record but I really don't think you can go far wrong if you get a 0g and some liners, that way you can keep the layer closest to the horse clean easily but you don't have to spend a fortune on loads of outers.
I have several, most bought 2nd hand, my favourite is the Supreme 0g .
I found on my cobby types the rambo with the v shaped fitting at the front was a nicer fit than the rhino with the t bars.

milliepops

Visit site
The rhino I had eventually disintegrated, the inner layers were all still fine but the outer sort of perished. It survived a good few years but as my others have all been Rambos I wasn't expecting it :p I just *don't* replace turnouts, I haven't ever needed to, apart from that one. it was an excellent rug while it lasted ;) I'm just used to decades of service from my others!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Getting the size right is the first step because I find I need to go a size up from WB, Shires, Bucas etc...

As he's OK in 7ft you might get some bargains. :)

Eileen Douglas and Cork Farm Equestrian stock a lot of HW rugs.

I think the Rambos are more long lasting than the Rhinos, but both are great rugs. I also like the 1200d Amigos.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
RE neck covers, the two systems I have come across on HW rugs are 1, long strips of velcro on the neck like this (the yellow oblong that says 'horseware' on the neckline)

s-l1600.jpg

and 2, loops just inside the neckline. My rug has six of these loops as two are for the rug liners and four are for the neck cover. It's never rubbed.

horseware-liner5_1.jpg

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
'do rambo for the same as rhinos'

I'm assuming means fit, in which case IME no. I like the v-necks but F needs a 6' in a rhino and a 5'9 in a rambo of the same style.
He generally is a solid 5'9 but the v-necks sit a bit forwards, particularly with neck covers on and his bum would stick out. Is a 5'9 in his LW classic fit rhino.

Their neck covers have improved but for the rhino/rambo premier equine fit well too and they used to be fairly often on clearance and in some ways I prefer them.

I'm after another LW for F atm, as he only has a 2nd hand amigo (these have diff. neck cover fastenings, the metal loops as above). His v. original blue mediumweight rhino was about 6/7 years old when someone stole it off him.

Leo Walker

Visit site
The Rmabo Optimos fit big, I size down. But I wouldnt use anything else on a chunky horse. It really has been a game changer for me. My mare can move freely in a rug for the first time! And liners make it easy to keep the inner layer clean, and swap and change without needing hundreds of rugs! I bought a spare optimo as it was cheap and have never had to use it, as they seem to last forever. The PE I had lasted less than a day. She is an idiot rug wrecker normally!

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
Thena has a big selection of Rambos. I only had 1 Rhino and it just didn't fit quite as well so I sold it and never bought any others.
They are great rugs and there are bargains to be found. Not looking at the moment as I'm an absolute sucker for a bargain rug!

EmmaC78

Visit site
I have Rhino's and Rambo's and much prefer the Rambo. I wouldn't rush to buy a Rhino rug as the front fastenings and surcingles don't seem as sturdy and I have had to get them repaired a few times.

As someone else mentioned above I would consider going for the liner system. I use a 0g supreme or a 100g original outer and then just use liners. They easily fit in the washing machine. I ended up getting all 3 liners second hand on ebay for less than £50 and they were barely used.

Pollyrocket19

New User
Visit site
You just can’t go wrong with horseware rugs. I took the leap and invested last year in a heavyweight amigo turnout and haven’t looked back since. No rubbing on my mares shoulders and I got the detachable neck rug to give her mane a break when the weather is dry. Her coat was even ten times better than previous winters. I switched my stable rugs to horseware too and they are in perfect nick.

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
Love Horseware rugs. Such good value as they last forever. My record is 13years straight for the old purple Rambos.

Have a Rhino that will go into its 11th season this year. However - we are in Sydney, so our winters are very mild in comparison to UK or NZ.

We do launder and reproof every year with NikWax once they have had 3 seasons which I feel may have extended their lives.

We buy at the end of the UK winter and have them shipped to Aussie. Half the price of what they are here by using the UK suppliers having their end of year sales.

ester

Visit site
see my 100g rambo duo was never the same after it was laundered and reproofed having been loaned to a horse stuck in a ditch (my mother definitely picked the wrong rug to lend, no mum that isn't a cheap old one...)

Given that they rely on a middle waterproof layer not just the outer in their construction I try to avoid washing them.

ester

Visit site
Obv I've forgiven my Mum, it's not something I ever go on about :rolleyes:.

The eating of the jeffries traditional bridle was 'it's just his old cheap one isn't it' too :D I've had an ebay alert for a replacement head piece for years!

Bangagin

Visit site
I love Horseware rugs for my chunky mare. I've got a 200g high neck Rhino, then a 100g Amigo and a no fill Amigo. I was using a 100g liner with her no fill Amigo until recently when it started slipping round at the back - this is despite her having worn it for a couple of years with no issues! Not sure what happened, but having found it very twisted 2 days in a row, I immediately ordered a 100g fill. She doesn't need anything warmer than 200g as she isn't clipped, and she detests neck covers, hence the high cut neck Rhino suiting her. :)

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have had Rambos and Rhinos, and have found them equally long lasting and waterproof.

I had one Amigo Mis but that one was not so good, and also fitted a bit smaller.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I've never stretched to the Rambos but been lucky to find some Rhino's half price because they were last year's colours. I like the half necks as the way they sit means they don't rub and leave bald patches.

Shame you didn't need a 6'9" as I've got a lightly used one from my recently deceased tb that's too big for the other.

I found Amigos too tight round the shoulders and they were 600d so not as waterproof so I sold them.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I like the Wugs as my horses are usually TB x cob types.
The lightweight Rhino is no longer waterproof after nearly 18 years use on 3 different horses. I have put a huge patch over the back to prolong it’s life! The medium weight is still OK. I wash them annually and reproof regularly. I bought both rugs in a sale.
At the moment my horse is wearing a purple heavy Rambo Wug that came with a horse I bought in about 2001. It was well used then. She is also the third to wear it.
I have mended straps, replaced fastenings and put a few patches on all these rugs over the years. The fillings may not be as warm as a new rug but the outers are still fine and I use under rugs if necessary.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I have had Rambos and Rhinos, and have found them equally long lasting and waterproof.

The rhino I had eventually disintegrated, the inner layers were all still fine but the outer sort of perished. It survived a good few years but as my others have all been Rambos I wasn't expecting it :p I just *don't* replace turnouts, I haven't ever needed to, apart from that one. it was an excellent rug while it lasted ;) I'm just used to decades of service from my others!

I'm hoping that they have fixed the Rhino issue now, as like MP I had one fall apart. It was such a brilliant rug for about four years (and looked smashing on my chestnut mare as it was a green tartan) but one day I noticed a hole in the outer layer. I investigated if I could patch it, but as I touched it the fabric just crumbed away in my hands. It was most odd... maybe the fabric broke down in the light or it was just a bad batch of fabric? I don't know, but it was unsalvageable as the whole thing had gone brittle.

horseware-rhino-original-turnout-lite-olive-tartan.jpg

milliepops

Visit site
I'm hoping that they have fixed the Rhino issue now, as like MP I had one fall apart. It was such a brilliant rug for about four years (and looked smashing on my chestnut mare as it was a green tartan) but one day I noticed a hole in the outer layer. I investigated if I could patch it, but as I touched it the fabric just crumbed away in my hands. It was most odd... maybe the fabric broke down in the light or it was just a bad batch of fabric? I don't know, but it was unsalvageable as the whole thing had gone brittle.

horseware-rhino-original-turnout-lite-olive-tartan.jpg
mine was this colour too, it was a LW and did really well until it suddenly died. I harvested all the fittings and the lining and they have been used for repairs and upgrading other rugs ever since! the neck attachment tabs are now on a thermatex and the lining patched up a LW stable rug that one of mine tore to bits. so in a small way it lives on :p

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have had a blue squared one and a brown squared one. The blue one was good for over 10 years, the brown over 8. I say over, as the new horse is smaller so I sold them and they were still waterproof and strong then.

I can only guess the green batch was a bad one!

beingachicken

Visit site
I have discovered it’s ok to sell all your rugs and buy an incredibly expensive outer and a few liners, they never ever leak or get damp underneath and are amazing!
I now pretty much only have horseware. I have a few Rhino and Amigo’s but Rambo are the boll****