Horsey / Cycling Gear

pottamus

Visit site
Just wanted to say that since getting into road cycling this year and purchashing a multitude of lycra and other cycling stuff...I have converted my entire horsey 'wardrobe' over to cycling equilvalent gear because it is so just great for the job it is un-true.

I use lycra legging for chores and riding, cycling tops with my thermals, cycling head warmer for underneath my riding troxel, cycling high viz jacket for riding in (lower over the bum so keeps you warmer), arm and leg warmers, lights for my trolley etc etc

Always worth a look on Wiggle and Chain Reaction Cycles for such things...there are all sorts of useful stuff that can be dual purpose for horsey stuff too.
And no....I dont work for them, just use them alot!

Suechoccy

Visit site
echo that! The only downside of lycra is hay and horsehair sticks to it!

Sports Direct has got lots of fluoresecent yellow, orange and pink cycling and running tops, short zip neck, collar, long sleeves and short sleeves. Ideal as a top layer but a bit feminine too.

And padded shorts or tights are like having your own personal inbuilt heather moffat seatsaver!

Kat

Visit site
I have ridden in cycling gear - it is much better than a lot of riding gear. And I'm not even a cyclist!

Riding gear is so slow to embrace new technology it is unreal. I buy lots of gear from manufacturers who make hiking and mountain biking gear as it is much better for the money.

Actually some jodhs based on the cycling tights with the sort of bib front would be quite practical for winter, I hate getting a gap between jumper and jodhs when things ride up/down under your coat.

Scarlett

Visit site
I'm the other way round, I cycle in my riding gear...! I mountain bike and am often seen rattling round the local trails in my breeches, Musto jacket and Ariat Terrains. I do get odd looks from other cyclists, especially as I have a really nice full suspension bike and I'm out with my mates who are all in full downhill kit, but I find it far more comfy than anything else. I'm looking into buying a full face helmet for biking in as I'm beginning to do more technical stuff and boyf says that I should then get some proper bike kit but I don't think I need to.

My xc shirt for riding in is a bike top though, a proper technical fabric one that cost £12 instead of the fortune it was for a similar one from a riding shop.

Definitely agree that riding stuff is behind the times in a technical sense, and anything that is made with a more technical fabric is 3 times the cost of the equaivalent bike item.

Molasses

Visit site
Absolutely agree, cycling or any other sport tech gear is streets ahead of horsey gear.

Same for headtorches, mountain bikers forums are full of high tech recommendations for headtorches that you can ride with they are so bright, horsey recommendations are for torches equivalent to candles in paper-bags they are so weak:rolleyes:

Nudibranch

Visit site
Another totally agree here, horsey stuff really is years behind. I've just posted on another thread about my Helly Hansen jacket - it does a far better job than any "horsewear" and is miles sleeker and more waterproof! I don't know much about cycling but I'm finding a lot of my scuba/sailing wear is perfect for the yard. Thermal layers and dive torches getting the most use...

Sunshine8

Visit site
I was a f/t cyclist for a while and I still use the under tops as thermals riding now as they are all thin. I will be layering up with them this weekend hunting. Particularly road cycling you layer lots of thin layers and with a wind proof layer on the outside. I still do the same for riding as I find lots of thin is better than thick bulky layers.

jinglejoys

Visit site
I bought a cycling jacket for riding out in summer in case I got caught out in the rain as my lovely Dikkies fleece is just too hot,but it was awful...like being wrapped in clingfilm and who's idea was it to put a pocket in the back so you can't get anything out without taking it off first(which was a relief as it was so hot and sticky!)...any ideas of a nice light waterproof jacket that isn't plastic?

Kat

Visit site
I have a berghaus jacket made out of goretex paclite which is light weight and 100% waterproof, as well as very breathable and it all folds up to the size of a grapefruit.

Even more lightweight and breathable I also have a paramo fuera windproof that I wear to keep the chill off when I am wearing a t-shirt or jumper and don't want a warm coat. It is shower proof but not really waterproof enough for you to go out in heavy rain and stay dry. But I wear it a lot because it doesn't feel like wearing a waterproof, I can wear it over bare arms and it just feels like a shirt, no horrid sweaty feeling.

I have a more heavy weight paramo waterproof too which is great but pretty warm and again doesn't feel like a waterproof. DH has one too and wears it for EVERYTHING.

If you hate that sweaty feeling that traditional waterproofs give then I can really recommend Paramo gear.