Horsey jobs...? Animal related careers...?

DreamOfNoReturn

Visit site
I seriously want to work with animals when I'm older, but I have no idea which jobs would be best for me.

I'm more of a hands on person and would prefer a job where I can get stuck into the work. I adore all types of animals, especially horses and dogs so something like that would be amazing.

Anyone know of good animal related careers :)?

Jesstickle

Visit site
I know three vet nurses and they all love their jobs. I wouldn't even mind being one myself but sadly I already have a non horsey career and am getting too old to change now! :)

DreamOfNoReturn

Visit site
I was considering that, but I'm not so sure I would enjoy being a vet nurse. I'm not too good with cutting things open and that sort of thing. I have recently been considering doing falconry :) as birds interest me :D!

Visit site
If you have the intelligence then only do horses or animals for a year before going to uni or college. It's the one regret I have - that I didn't go to uni. I started in racing when I was 16 as a gap year before going into Uni. 7 years later I am still doing the same thing. I love my job, I really, really do but I also wish I had gone into further education.

DreamOfNoReturn

Visit site
I plan on going to college or uni to do something animal related and then to get an animal job. I have considered working at a racing yard, but I'm not too sure if I would entirely enjoy it. What does you job involve? Thanks for the replies guys :)

Visit site
In racing it depends on what yard you go into and for what job. Most jobs are for work riders, then you get the yard people, the people who take the horses to the races and the secretaries.

There are a coupleof yards near you, Jim Goldie who trains just outside of Glasgow, Linda Perrat who trains at Ayr, Keith Dalgleish who trains at Musselburgh. And then further up is Lucy Normile, Susan Bradburne and Lucinda Russell. Most yards will take you on for a weeks work experience if you ask. That way you can see what the job is like without making any commitments.

DreamOfNoReturn

Visit site
Most yards will take you on for a weeks work experience if you ask. That way you can see what the job is like without making any commitments.

That might actually not be half a bad idea :). I could do that as some work experience and see :). I really want to work with animals, but I am not entirely sure if I would be fully committed to horses 24/7 as I want to own my own horse in the future and I don't know if it would be too much if I did it as a job as well. Thanks a bunch though, I think work experience at a yard would be a really good idea :).

Visit site
The best bit about racing is that half the time if a horse you ride or work with retires from racing, unless it is worth money at stud then you usually get first option of taking them home.

But yes, working all day with horses then also having your own sometimes just isn't fun. I work with them all day then have 17 of my own to deal with and am now getting to the stage where I want them as my hobby and not as my job as well.

DreamOfNoReturn

Visit site
have 17 of my ownl.

How do you MANAGE?! That seems like mayhem :L, but it also seems pretty amazing :D! Yeah I think I would enjoy working at a racing yard for a couple of years maybe and then I think I would probably want to move on. I think my plan is that I am going to go to college or uni and study an animal related course and then possibly work in racing for a couple of years and then get another job :). I am considering talking to my careers adviser again though :3.

Visit site
There are fantastic courses at the British Racing School in Newmarket that are well worth looking into. Not all of them are centered on riding racehorses but are the more general aspect. You can do your NVQ Levels through there.