Horsey Sharers...

fredthoroughbred

Visit site
Does it work?? I have come to the realisation that I cannot give Fred everything he needs plus a decent amount of exercise. I think he is pretty bored and that's a bit sad...

I am going to do the mature student thing and I know I will have less hours in the day. I will still want to feed, groom, bring in, turnout and ride when I can but after all that I don't think I will conceivably have enough hours in the day to get him as fit a I would like him to be.

I have seen a few people advertising that they want a horse share but how do you know if you can trust them?? Would it be ridiculous to ask for references/contracts or do you just go with your gut instinct??

Any sharers out there with positive experiences??

Thanks
smile.gif

spotsmum

Visit site
I have two sharers for 2 of my horses. Both are brill, love them like their own, and do things to my liking. Did have one bad experience previously tho. I always go with instinct and the way my horses are with the potential sharer. I can tell with the way they act around my horses straight away if they are suitable. The one that didnt work i had reservations about, and it proved true, will always go with instinct now.

brighthair

www.wannabeadressagediva.wordpress.com
I share 2 horses and it works well. The owner is away for up to 6 weeks at a time with work. I usually do 4 days a week sometimes more. I look after them like they're my own and when one has spasmodic colic, I stayed up with him. I think it helps that I've had my own horses before, I do what I would expect anyone to have done with mine

Twizzel

Visit site
Yes it can work!! I have a gorgeous share horse, her owner is Queenbee on here. We've got a really thorough contract in place so we know exactly where we stand, and it's turned out really well. I absolutely love it, couldn't ask for a more perfect horse and owner!! (Won't say anymore or Queenbee's head might be too big for her hat
grin.gif
smirk.gif
)

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
I used to share, then brought my share horse, when the owners decided to sell her. It can work fine, just make sure you tell the sharer what you want/expect and don't assume they are mind readers!!!
grin.gif

jumpingjack

community.webshots.com
My sharer is fantastic, but i had known her for about 5 years prior to her sharing.

She adores Splash like she is her own and i am happy for her to treat her as if she was her own.. i trust her 100% with her and knew if there were any problems she's know best in my absense.

However, even as friends we still have a contract in place.

hollyandivy123

Visit site
i had one once, who decided to get a the ponies back checked and then bought a new saddle i came up to the yard and was told we would be using this saddle from now on. thats was the second week in, she then insisted on riding one saturday morning ( i use to have saturday) i came up to clip and found a completly sweated horse that i could not clip. and after that decided never again, she was recommened by a friend

Jellicle

Visit site
I have been sharing a horse for 2 and 1/2 years and it has gone very well. I think the secrets are lots of communication and being a little bit flexible - i.e. not worrying too much if the stable is mucked out differently to how you'd do it.

Ellies_mum2

Visit site
I've been sharing Ellie for a year now and think its gone really well. If I have any concerns about her then I contact her owner straight away. On my days as far as her owner is concerned she is my horse and I can do pretty much what I want with her. Within reason of course as she is an oldie at 28 ( She doesn't seem to think she's old though)
Another advantage as far as I'm concerned is I've got a great friend in the owner now that will give advice if I need it
laugh.gif

Queenbee

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Yes it can work!! I have a gorgeous share horse, her owner is Queenbee on here. We've got a really thorough contract in place so we know exactly where we stand, and it's turned out really well. I absolutely love it, couldn't ask for a more perfect horse and owner!! (Won't say anymore or Queenbee's head might be too big for her hat
grin.gif
smirk.gif
)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto from me x