horsey tattoos?

TarantuLove

Visit site
Im thinking of getting a tattoo to do with my horsey cos I love him so much
smile.gif
However I'm not too keen on a headshot because he is dark bay, so it would look like a big dark mush
tongue.gif
So maybe something with his name
smile.gif
What do you think? Do any of you have horsey tattoos/tattoos related to your horse?

SmartieBean09

Visit site
I have a horse rearing over my belly button. I really regret it and it looked ridiculous when I was pregnant.

I dont regret getting the tattoo, just the design. I chose it in about 5 minutes just because I felt like getting one done 10 years ago.

My advice is just be sure.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good advice! I have 3 tatts (none horse related) but I have mulled over each one of them for months and months before getting them done. The right thing will come to you, if you wait long enough.
smile.gif

Django Pony

Visit site
No, but now you mention it I like the idea! I have 2 tattoos, one of Piglet ('cos he's my hero!) and a tribal type thing in the small of my back (affectionately called my "Tramp Stamp" by my OH!!).
LOVE the idea of a horsey one! Thanks! xxx

TarantuLove

Visit site
Yep, definitely agreeing re waiting! But I have wanted something to do with my horse for years now, but I can't quite figure one out yet :p so just wanted some inspiration, rather than ideas!

Cliqmo

Visit site
Hasn't Leona Lewis just had an 'Ode to her horse' tattooed in hebrew down her back??

My friend had an image of a horses eye tatooed on her hip, it doesn't quite capture the character visible in the original photo but it is still good / nice
grin.gif

Bowen4Horses

www.poppywebber.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good advice! I have 3 tatts (none horse related) but I have mulled over each one of them for months and months before getting them done. The right thing will come to you, if you wait long enough.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i also have three, two done in haste (hate them) and one mulled over for months/years... spent ages designing and drawing it... had it done - 5 minutes later i regretted it. i hate hate hate it.
frown.gif
oh, and it's huge...
frown.gif

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

i also have three, two done in haste (hate them) and one mulled over for months/years... spent ages designing and drawing it... had it done - 5 minutes later i regretted it. i hate hate hate it.
frown.gif
oh, and it's huge...
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Blimey, that's a shame
crazy.gif
frown.gif
I had a minor freak out over my last one as soon as it was done, but I love it now (it's the only one I can see easily - the others are on my back) which gave me the colliwobbles to start with
tongue.gif

vam

Visit site
I have my horses name in Elvish (Lord of the Rings type Elves) on my stomach/hip. Its the purple thing in the top left corner in my sig.
Doesnt look like much but means a lot, its not an obvious horse tatt which i like.
Take your time choosing not only what you want but who you want to do it. The artist can make a huge difference in how it looks.

muffinino

Visit site
I have a Pegasus as my tramp stamp
tongue.gif
wink.gif
Because horses lend us the wings we lack
laugh.gif

Sorry the pic is a bit blurred
Pegasustattoo.jpg

To give you an idea of scale/placement
twotattoos.jpg

I had it done in 2004 and looked at for a while before deciding for certain. The phoenix I decided on the night bfore (it has many meanings for me) and I chose the stye to compliment the Pegasus. The colouring was done free hand.
I love both of mine and don't regret either (I have more planned)
laugh.gif
ETA the phoenix had only been done that morning, so was still quite red.

muffinino

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Those are gorgeous, especially the phoenix! Thats something else I've really wanted to get too...

[/ QUOTE ]
Thank you, I love them
grin.gif
They have enormous meaning to me, which is why I hink they suit me and why I'll nver regret them. I plan to have a dragon for my next one because I'm Welsh, to continue the mythic beasties theme and because the masculine dragon traditionally balances the feminine phoenix
smile.gif
Whereabouts are you? I know a great tattoo artist in South Wales
wink.gif

Umbongo

Visit site
I did consider a horsey tattoo, but after non-horsey BF said he would hate it, i decided against and instead designed my own lillies which I love and have not regretted it. I think if I had of got a horse style one I would have regretted it...and BF would not have liked either!

DiablosGold

Visit site
I have this on the top of my back:
wind20runner.jpg

tattoo-1.jpg

Agree with the others about waiting ages, I wanted my first for ages, and used to draw it on with a pen all the time. With this one I wanted it the second I set eyes on the original pic, but waited about 3 months before having it done.

JustMe22

Visit site
Other thing to do is possibly get the chinese symbol for horse? Or some other language..
Or have his name translated into something else, then its not so obvious?
Depends what you like
smile.gif

michelleice

Visit site
hmm have quite a few tats! 5 if im honest ive these 2 horsey ones though

on my lower back
21112007100.jpg

on my right arm (was my 1st tat) got it for my daughter
2617297699a4084948389b871359477l.jpg

Oberon

Visit site
Of my five tatts I had the horse one done first (when I was 16!). It's a Pegasus on my belly but it was done by a scratcher so it looks more like a My Little Pony. It's all lumpy and patchy because he was clumsuy with the needle! It's an awful tat but I still don't regret it!

When I get a proper horse design it would need to be by a master artist (such as Bob Tyrell - http://bobtyrrell.com/galleries/index.php?album=Animals )

This is a nice tat - don't know who the artist is though

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_vtyo4Tlz_k0/SX...ttoo+design.jpg

gabbypinkjessica

Visit site
I have three tattoos, one of which is a rearing horse on my thigh in black and grey. I really wanted it done from a picture of my horse, but the tattooist (who is also a good friend) advised not to, as he said that if it wasn't an exact likeness I would be really disappointed. So I got him to adapt a nice pic of a freisian instead, which I'm really pleased with. I think it would have been nice to have my horse, but she isn't (don't tell her I said!) quite as photogenic as my tattoo....
I definitely don't regret it, maybe it will be odd when I'm an old lady, but it means a lot to me. One thing I would say is make sure you are happy with the design (they should show you a few options beforehand) and insist they adapt it the way you want it. A lot of tattoo artists see themselves as artists first, and doing something for a client comes second, so make sure they don't push you into a design you don't want!

Cobber

Visit site
I got a tat on my hip at the front on my trouser line. I love it and have never regretted it. Its a dragon adapted from a design i saw on a t-shirt. i saw it and knew i wanted it straight away. It was done using freehand bamboo while i was travelling in Thailand so its a reminder of the amazing time i had over there.

I want another, think the next will be a big one on my back (not a tramp stamp) but something that covers 2/3. I thought about a horse or unicorn but its meaning doesnt apply to me so im considering a white tiger or something.