Horsey weight watchers

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I know, I'm disappointed with myself. I'll try and add a pic. She doesn't look too bad from far away, no crest, just a layer of blubber over all body, think a black pudding ?

Dont be disappointed or beat yourself up. It's really easy to, I know - I felt the same this winter/spring.

The best thing you can do now is to set up and stick to a weight loss and exercise programme to move forwards ?

Reactions: tda

Esyllt

Visit site
Hello, great idea for a thread. Firstly, well done to everyone for acknowledging there is a problem, and doing something about it. Lots of people can't/won't see it, be it for themselves, horses, dogs or cats etc, and I've seen so many animals in my line of work with health issues cause by excess weight that the owner just cannot/will not accept is an issue. My mare came to me last year obese, luckily not laminitic. She was approx 530kg on a tape. It's been tough, as livery was on a dairy farm, and she wasn't worked as much as I wanted due to my own health issues, but a track system, being clipped and unrugged over winter, lots of long in hand walkies, and soaked hay (haycube... expensive, but oh my! Game changer for me!), we are down to 450kg ish on a tape. She's now in a field that's not dairy grass, is more dock leaves and bare earth than grass, with generous soaked hay, and I'm hoping to be able to do some ridden work with her again, so fingers crossed it doesn't fluctuate upwards too much! An on going battle though.

SpotsandBays

Visit site
This thread makes me feel better. My boy was looking well until he had to have a few weeks off for an abcess and then a few days later pulled a shoe! He’s got such a big barrel belly ?
Back in work now so hopefully it will shift off soon!

windand rain

Visit site
25 today.jpg
This one is 440kgs she is 25 today and still in work all be it a bit less often but goes out and about twice a week full 2 hour hacks including galloping and jumping she also a monkey for jumping the fences. She is 13.1hh and a pure bred highland pony she is a little porky but is happy and sound

Last edited:

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
We too are working hard to keep the weight off our EMS mini and I am fairly happy with how he looks, all things considered, but I would like more off him for sure. I bought boots to take him walking but then vet advised not to start exercising him yet as he is essentially in rehab foot-wise, but he’s managed well this year and I am hopeful he’ll just keep improving.

We use a small set of fishing scales to weigh out hay and we use the Shires greedy nets with the small holes. Little chap and his companion have a well-soaked net each morning and evening as well as a small feed of Spillers ‘Lite and Lean’ Balancer, their FibreLite and a small amount of linseed. Their paddock is almost bare (it looks green but it’s actually very sparse and weedy).29F24712-0F4C-4A11-BE99-575F76B94DA7.jpeg