Horsey Worried in Collecting Rings

Amaretto

Visit site
I'm not really sure how this has come about, but recently my horse has become a little scared in collecting rings if a horse passes left to left a bit too closely. He puts the brakes on slightly and might jump away from the oncoming horse. On the odd occasion he's tried to spin around.

I don't want this to turn into an issue, and I'm putting it down to lack of mileage as he has done very little competing (he's 6).

I try to work him where he doesn't feel penned in and I will ask for early times in future. Also going to work him more with other horses in the manege at home. If I am to take him show-jumping, he will need to feel okay about busy collecting rings, so any ideas on how to sort this would be much appreciated. :)

jacksmum

Visit site
My friend had this with her ex-racer mare, she would go into complete melt down if anything came too close.
In the end she chose her venues carefully (no small warm ups), and just got her out as much as poss, also she tied a red ribbon in her tail which didn't stop all riders coming too close but did stop some.
And she hired a friends school and got people to ride in there with her.
It has taken her quite a while but finally the mare isn't over reacting and is getting very good scores.
Hope you manage to solve it :)

becca1305

Visit site
As hes young I'd just give him time to adjust and make sure you give him lots of confidence when he starts to feel worried - press him forward off your leg use your voice to reassure him then give him a pat. - this is what I do with my young mare when I feel her 'flicker' as another horse comes up behind.

The only thing I would be concerned about as if he is only doing it to horses approaching on the same side on both reins (particularly when that eye is to the inside as vision should be better than when that eye is on the outside). This may suggest he is having difficulties with his vision on that side.

If all checks out okay I would consider using sheepskin cheekpieces if allowed for competition and see if that settles him.

Foxford

Visit site
My youngster is a bit skittish/distracted when there's more than three horses in the arena with him, especially strange horses. I'm planning to take him to clinics and RC training over the winter to get him used to it in a more relaxed environment than in a warm-up.

ironhorse

Visit site
Yep, its practice practice practice I'm afraid. Our mare got very worried in the show ring after she'd been shoved into a wall by another horse at an indoor show, and our trainer helped us deal with it. You need a few sympathetic and capable friends with quiet horses that don't pull faces or kick. Ideally start off with a horse that your horse likes alongside him and trot around together. Then get the other horse to move away and then come back towards and up behind yours, giving plenty of space to start with and then getting closer, and at faster paces until they can canter close by you. Do the same with a couple of other horses if possible, preferably including one that he doesn't know at all. Whatever he does, don't react, but if he is good, reward him with plenty of breaks, standing still in a safe place in the school. It worked really with our mare, although she sometimes needed a little 'refresher' if she hadnt been to a show for a while.

diggerbez

Visit site
V used to be horrendous in collecting rings- actually got thrown over a fence once when someone dared to come vaguely in his direction :eek: He was never bothered by horses coming up behind and past him but he hated horses coming head on- especially if he was stuck between the oncoming horse and the fence/wall.
he's a lot better now and i haven't done anything in particular to deal with the problem. i do try to choose venues carefully as don't know how he would react to a huge WB powering towards him in medium trot :eek: SJing he's fine- but again i wouldn't go somewhere with a really small collecting ring.
its why i like eventing- can go and hide in a corner of a field on my own :rolleyes:

Amaretto

Visit site
Thanks everyone...diggerbez, it's oncoming traffic that worries him, he's fine with horses cantering past etc. I vaguely remember you telling me about V...the fact that he's better now is good. There are group flatwork lessons at the yard on Monday nights planned, so prob a good idea for me to join in to help build his confidence.

Firewell

Visit site
Mines a bit like this too. He's worse when he's fresh and we have just got into the collecting ring. If a horse even comes near him at anything more then a slow trot he panics and leaps around.
I sometimes find it helps to lead him round the collecting ring first just to let him absorb everything then get on.
Once he's settled and he's done his class and a bit of work he's fine and a rocket could go off up his arse and he wouldn't care. For the initial 20 odd mins though he can sometimes be really hairy.
I did showing at the weekend, inland and then ridden to get him used to lots of horses. He started off panicky but he got used to it and was really quiet at the end.
I think it's just practice at the end of the day, I do also try and avoid busy or small warm ups, SJ I tend to walk him round outside and then when it's the course walk and the warm up is empty popping some jumps then.

diggerbez

Visit site
Thanks everyone...diggerbez, it's oncoming traffic that worries him, he's fine with horses cantering past etc. I vaguely remember you telling me about V...the fact that he's better now is good. There are group flatwork lessons at the yard on Monday nights planned, so prob a good idea for me to join in to help build his confidence.

yes probably...thinking about it a bit more, when i was last out competing the collecting ring for the SJ was mental and he was fine with things whizzing on either side of him/head on...so guess its just about experience. if someone tries to go past him in the school at home though he will totally lose the plot, but he has issues at home anyway :rolleyes: