hot meals in the winter: yes or no?

mandwhy

Visit site
I will be lucky if I have access to water, let alone hot water, and I don't think I'd really feel the need to bring it from the house as I'm fairly convinced it would go cold anyway, maybe Christmas day I'll give it a try!

fatpiggy

Visit site
My old girl loved her hot porridge in the winter. I would add the beet to hot water at home or at work, seal it up and take it to the yard, then add it to her made-up feed. An old lady approaching the finishing line who deserved something nice.

katastrophykat

Visit site
I make up breakfast Fast Fibre at home before I go to the yard in the winter, with two kettles of boiling water. The house smells like bran flakes(!) but I prefer warm feeds, especially first thing in the morning- by the time I get to the yard and mix the rest, it's cool enough to be eaten.

Mind, this year there's a new BF in my house, and I'm not sure he'll cope with the wonderful morning smell! :D

Annagain

Visit site
I have occasionally made sugar beet up with boiling water when I've forgotten to soak it overnight. Even after an hour soaking it's still quite warm so I've made warm feeds up because of that. My boy eats it as normal but my share horse won't touch it until it's cold!

3OldPonies

Visit site
I'm another who 'warms up' the feed for my oldies in winter. They have Fast Fibre and soaked Baileys No 4 with hi-fi molasses free. I take a flask of boiling water from home or work and by the time the feeds are mixed in cold buckets it just at a nice temperature, not too hot but not cold either. I think it does help the oldies digest their feeds better in the winter and they do seem to appreciate it. Won't be starting this though until it does get cold, though we had the first grass frost this morning, so warm brekkies may not be too far off, but it's still warm enough in the evening not to need it yet.

Mariposa

Visit site
We haven't started yet but when it gets much colder and frosty we'll probably start, we do most winters. One of ours has boiled barley over the winter as he drops condition and that is lovely and warm out of the Aga and he really loves it. I have to admit I think it makes me feel better to give them warm feed in the winter, not sure it actually makes a difference to them!

3Beasties

Visit site
I feed warm feeds in the winter. Not every feed but as and when I can. I'm not sure it benefits them really but I love the smell :biggrin3: