hot shodding

Josh_craney

Visit site
what are the benifits of having your horse hot shod compared to kust clod shodding?
confused.gif

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
When a horse is cold shod the hoof is filed & shaped and then the shoe is nailed on. With this method there is a greater liklihood that the shoe may not be bedded perfectly flat onto the horses hoof.

When you hot shoe the shoe the hoof is filed down & shaped as before but the shoe is placed onto the hoof it burns the hoof and gets it perfectly bedded onto the hoof thus getting a much better fit.

Basically hot shoeing is much better & a more reliable fit however they may be occasions when it cannot be done (injury or ailment)

allijudd

Visit site
i dont agree with that kirstyfk...roman is cold shod and his feet are brilliant for it..i am a true advocate for cold shoeing......he loses shoes when hot shod (not only that will try to kill farrier) i think he has sensitive feet.......

anyway...cold shoeing should only be practised by a competant farrier who know what he is doing...romans measurements where all taken and mike makes shoes in his forge specially for him..he is perfectly balanced and even has his toes rolled as he has wide webbed feet and needs them...

a non competant farrier will make the feet fit the shoe but a good one ie a remedial will make the shoe fit the horse....

the shoe can be heated and adjusted to fit but must be cold when placed near the foot and then consequently nailed on.... most farriers wont cold shoe which is why we have 2 farriers here and mike only does romans feet (mind you he wont take anyone else on!
tongue.gif
) It takes longer and has a lot more skill attached to it to level and balance the feet without the use of bedding the shoe in hot......

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
The vast majority of farriers are competant, that's why they do a lengthy apprentership before they qualify. As stated hot shoeing suits the majority of horses however also as stated there are exceptions. Not every horse needs remedial shoeing, normally through injury or ailment. If everyone wanted that type of shoeing then their shoeing bill would rocket in price. If it's needed then have it...if it isn't then don't. Many years ago a travelling farrier only cold shod because there wasn't the mobile forges available them to take with them otherwise you would hack to his forge & he would hot shoe there.

allijudd

Visit site
odd that...we are charged the same amount as it would be for hot shoeing

as i said before the majority of farriers would rather hot shoe becuase it is easier and quicker and takes a lot less skill...

you cannot dispute that..

what you can dispute is that some farriers wont do it properly becuase they dont want to..i know i have been through hell to find a farrier that will cold shoe....

and im keeping him!.....roman has never been lame, never been sore, his shoes stay on for over 8 weeks and he has striong hooves...

dieseldog

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

as i said before the majority of farriers would rather hot shoe becuase it is easier and quicker and takes a lot less skill...

[/ QUOTE ]

Er.... yes you can. I think a lot of farriers would take exception to your notion that as they hot shoe they are less skillful than someone who cold shoes

Tempi

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Er.... yes you can. I think a lot of farriers would take exception to your notion that as they hot shoe they are less skillful than someone who cold shoes

[/ QUOTE ]

you cant make a sweeping statement like that, Bloss used to be cold shod and shes now hot shod, my new farrier has done wonders with her feet and theyve never looked better. now im not saying that one is better than the other, just in Bloss's case shes much better hot shod.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Quote....as i said before the majority of farriers would rather hot shoe becuase it is easier and quicker and takes a lot less skill...

confused.gif

What rubbish.

Quote....roman has never been lame, never been sore, his shoes stay on for over 8 weeks and he has strong hooves...
crazy.gif

Nothing to do with shoeing, it's the genetics of the animal that determines the strength or otherwise of the hooves. Hot or cold shoeing changes nothing. As to how long shoes stay on is down to how quickly the hooves grow & if the hooves need trimming.

You've been listening to old wives tales.

ladylisa

Visit site
My sisters horse was cold shod with a farrier that only did cold shoeing.. if would take him no time at all to do his feet, and the shoes would fall off in about 3 weeks and his hooves would split, so we decided to change the farrier and have him hot shod, after a few months his feet were back to full health and when the farrier comes to do his feet every 8 weeks his shoes are still on strong.
so i know which i think is better!

Patches

Visit site
Not read the other replies but I always assumed, may be wrong here TGM can answer better, that with hot shoeing the shoe is made to fit the foot whereas with cold shoeing the foot is made to fit the shoe.

I would deduce from that, that you'd get a better fit with hot shoeing?

allijudd

Visit site
mike is a highly trained remedial farrier who take sthe time to cold shoe for us...roman would kill a farrier if he was hot shod, he just cant tolerate it.....he is perfectly balanced and his shoes are made solely for him..not a generic batch bought wholesale..mike makes romans shoes himself so that they fit and he doesnt have to fit the hoof to the shoe......

Skhosu

Visit site
My sensitive tb has had rubbish feet since we got him. Cold shoeing he lost shoes once a week, pulling half the foot away with it.
Since he began being hot shod he has loist 3 shoes, one a coupl of months ago and tow in the last week (not sure why!). Other than that his feet are stunning, he hasn't pulled the entie foot away and he actually stands amazingly still for a horse who doesn't like clipping, mane pulling, injections etc. He is happy as larry with the smoke.
IMO hot shoeing is better for them, but as more expensive, parents will only let my boy be done! Rest are cold shod and I feel it's not as good.