Hot Weather management tips

poiuytrewq

Visit site
A horse died of heat stroke on a lorry at Somerford when the owner left it there on a baking hot day to ride another horse round the farm ride.

It happens.

Not a good way to go, either :rolleyes:.
How awful. I was driving home one day in really hot weather and came across a broken down lorry. I stopped and offered to help hold the horses under some trees which is what we did, for what felt like an eternity but the lorry was unbearable for me to go in and get one off forget about stand in it for ages ?‍♀️

SO1

Visit site
I have seen 2 horses get heat stroke one at a show and one at yard. Thankfully the show ground was right next to a vets so the pony was taken immediately there for treatment. Both horses survived but very unpleasant.

Unfortunately it is very hot on our yard stables are wooden and very little shade in the fields. Friday is now forecast to be 33C. I will worry about my pony throughout this hot weather as he is not a good drinker and is a native that gets very hot and he is colic prone.

Thankfully I am on part livery and they will be giving him a lunch time bucket of sloppy pink mash to try and get more fluids into him. They will also give him a hose down or sponge down. He had a full clip yesterday to dry and help keep him cool.

It is still 28C now and I am very hot. It is humidity that is the problem. I hate hot weather I find it hard to sleep due to the heat and the constant worry about my pony.

SEL

Visit site
My Appy has had heat stroke. First time I had no idea she'd stopped sweating and was an emergency vet call. Second time was that day a few years back when it hit 37 degrees. Stables were too hot so I made the call to leave out until lunch and she collapsed when I got her half way up the drive. Forced back up and hosed for an hour.

One of the horses that was kept in that today collapsed so it was a lose lose situation really. Those stables were grim - I think having all the horses in just made them hotter than people expected.

She's always my main worry. The others get cross and uncomfortable but don't come to any harm. They've got 2 shelters for morning and by the afternoon the hedge and willows cast lovely shade - if they'll stand in it ?

SibeliusMB

Visit site
Sig is spending his time outside. His field has some tree cover as well as a run in shed should they choose to use it. It's nice and breezy down there and they have cold water in the automatic trough up top. It'll be warm, but coming from Kentucky, this is nothing for him. :p Tomorrow will just be a bath as he's in need of one anyway and I won't have time to ride.

Back home it would get in to the 90's (F....sorry, too lazy to do the conversion) regularly, if not into the 100+F range. Those days, we'd ride before 1000 if possible, watered immediately then hosed off thoroughly. Most barns were airy and well ventilated (built for the heat!), and stayed cooler during the day than outside more often than not. Most horses would stay inside during the day with their individual fans on them and go out around 5.00 or 7.00pm. Electrolytes were a normal part of the supplement ration for most during summer months, and we just made sure to check water consumption. If horses had to be hauled anywhere, we'd try to travel at night and avoid the high heat of the day with a horse in a trailer. Some horses required year-round clipping to keep them comfortable. Was a non-issue as horses and humans were well acclimated to the heat and never any issues. Everyone grew up with that protocol so it was just second nature in the summer, I never remember worrying too much about it.

Running XC or hunting in Virginia during cubbing season was particularly miserable even in the early hours of the morning, where it could still be 85+F and disgustingly humid. We always kept large jugs of rubbing alcohol handy and mixed that with cold water to help cool the horses off more.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Ours live out 24/7 with free access to stables and other more natural shade, so we don't really change anything except to make sure they keep hydrated. This lunchtime I made a cold 'soup' by adding a very tiny amount of Spillers Senior Super Mash (which our elderly loan pony eats) to a trug of water and dished some out to each of them. Not wild volumes but just a little top-up and they all thought it was a real treat! They tend to take care of themselves for the most part and can choose the part of the field or inside where they feel most comfortable.

Nasicus

Visit site
I always arrange my fields so that the horses have constant access to shade, I'm lucky enough to have been able to find places that allow me to do so. If I didn't have any natural shade, I'd look to get something to place to provide some, even if it's just a sunsail or a stack of straw bales or something. Even if they choose not to use it I want them to have the option, better to have and not need than need and not have.
Thankfully, where they are now is a breezy hillside so an almost constant pleasant breeze for when they do sunbathe, and constant shade down the bottom which is always lovely and cool (and coincidentally my favourite part of the poo picking haha).
For what it's worth, they're both in sweet itch rugs, so I'm particularly on it in regards to making sure they don't overheat in them as they're a lot less breezy than regular mesh fly rugs.

As for riding, if it's too hot for me then we don't go, and luckily for them too hot for me is a lot lower than too hot for them, I can't handle the heat!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Warmer than forecast today, peaking at around 25° but with a light breeze. Horses are interchangeably out grazing then coming into the cooler north facing field shelter. The horse flies have just appeared, so that explains that.

I will probably have them in tomorrow (the hot day) from mid morning to 7pm ish.

Two of them have been treated to new Rambo flybuster fly rugs with Vamoose, which are on special offer on ebay, and these are proving to be most effective against regular flies. Senior mare (with her bum sticking out of the shelter) is the one left with a non Vamoose rug, and she is being more agitated by flies - so I've just ordered her one as well.

FEB8E019-8FDF-40B3-B5EE-2970375C5674.jpg

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
My dilemma for tomorrow (33C forecast here) is sweet itch rug on or off? He’s out 24/7 and there is plenty of natural shade. If he has his rug off he will rub himself raw, but if it’s on he’ll surely sweat buckets which can’t be any good either? WWYD?

tda

Visit site
Our gang are free range , but this week they've mainly all headed into the yard around 9am and are standing in shelters, one or two have wandered back over to the hay feeder to eat, but soon headed back. I think that is the breeziest place. They also have an orchard area with shade but they don't use it much
Mainly all black ponies but I don't wash them or anything, it is warm, but it's also yorkshire?

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
My dilemma for tomorrow (33C forecast here) is sweet itch rug on or off? He’s out 24/7 and there is plenty of natural shade. If he has his rug off he will rub himself raw, but if it’s on he’ll surely sweat buckets which can’t be any good either? WWYD?

Rubbing himself raw doesn't sound great.
I could make some suggestions - can you plaster his sweet-itch prone areas with something like Nettex summer freedom fly cream and leave him rugless for the day?
If anyone is at the yard, could they hose him down periodically (or throw buckets of water on him) so his rug is wet?
Or fold back parts of it to allow him to sweat?

Julie Ole Girl

Visit site
My girls are just staying in their field shelter, a big field with plenty of oak trees. We have a water trough by the gate but they want me to lug buckets of water to their shelter. #spoilt.

Pinkvboots

Visit site

I've found a great product for my itchy one he used to rub his mane quite badly so I bought him a sweet itch hood, this year started feeding Herdleader oral itch solution from about April and I've not used the hood and his not rubbed at all, I wash his mane once a week and put barrier H gel along the top of the mane daily.

I've tried just creams or sprays in the past but he was still rubbing, the heardleader stuff has been brilliant this year though and it's not too expensive.

Mosh

Visit site
I've fully clipped my mare as she had put a huge coat up and she was too hot just standing. She has cushings and can't regulate her temperature so I won't ride till its cooler.

I've placed extra water in her stable for tomorrow and she'll get a tiny sloppy mash for breakfast
She is out at night and in the day but I'm stressing because she will only be ridden 3 days and not 5 and I'm worried about laminitis.

She is a good weight and not had laminitis in the 7 years I've had her but it's such a worry.

Cocorules

Visit site
Mine live out with a field shelter and no rugs. I have my own land now, but none of the livery yards I have been at in the past had field shelters, so they came in during the day.

I have one that loves being hosed down and another that doesn't appreciate being cooled with water whether that is hosing or sponging.

I have one with pink skin who gets horsey sunscreen to try to help protect her a bit.

I also ride early when it is a bit cooler and less flyie.

saddlesore

Visit site
There is an occasional advantage to being Scottish…. it’s pissing down ? I genuinely feel really bad for people dealing with horses in extreme heat. It happens to us occasionally and it’s always a nightmare as our horses are so unaccustomed to it.

Reactions: tda

jnb

Visit site
My cob stood in his shelter all day yesterday only surfacing when he needed a poo or the clouds came over (I can watch on my Reolink).
Last night the flies were bothering him in his ears so i sponged them out and rubbed udder cream into them and on his tummy and plastered him in Phaser. Went back at 8pm and moved his fence (strip grazing) as it had finally started to cool down
I have put him some hay in the shelter today to encourage him not to bake his brains as 30c in the shade due today here which I hate :(

He's got one of the huge Tub Trugs inside the shelter in the shade which I changed to fresh water and put some apple slices in this morning (they lasted 0.5 seconds!) & two others outside, one in the shade of the shelter and one out in the field. He's drinking from them all, approx 1.5 huge tub trugs a day. It scares me when people leave their horses with one trug of water, easily knocked over or drunk especially in this weather, obviously if they have a refilling tank or trug it's fine but when I was on livery yards the number of horses out in the heat with empty knocked over water buckets that I refilled (which the YO was supposed to do) - owners on part or full livery blissfully unaware!

Birker2020

Visit site
I always used to tie Bailey up to the outside of the trailer which I reversed up to the fence of the arena so she was always away from traffic. I always used to maintain an eyeline on her apart from when I entered a class or went to the loo.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
My 3 drink most of their 2 x 100 litre black plastic bins full of water between them on a hot day, like yesterday.

Normally the bins might cleaning out and refilling every 3 or so days, and even less in winter.

Hotter here today, up to 27°c, but there is a very strong breeze here so it's not going to be as bad as I feared, and they should be more comfortable than yesterday.

Then 15°c and wet tomorrow!

Reactions: jnb

Sprogladite01

Visit site
Currently 30°c here and set to go up to 32 in the next hour or so - boys go out to their field at 3pm but I've sectioned a bit off and have set the sprinkler up (it's one of those ones that goes back and forth in tall arc type thingy). TBC whether they love it or find it the most terrifying thing ever :p either way they have to walk past/through it to get to their fave part of the field so they'll get a nice soaking regardless!

palo1

Visit site
Just washed off my hot, fully clipped black horse and suggested that she may like to stand in the shade perhaps? Oh no, she trundled off at a brisk trot to stand in the hottest part of the field!! They can come in, stand under trees or go out so I just hope she knows what she is doing lol.

Birker2020

Visit site
I'm stifling in the portacabin. Had to switch my air con off as it makes my neck stiff but as soon as I did I nearly passed out from the heat! Its 29C where I work and 30C at the horse.

I can't wait to go and put the horse (and myself) under the shower. I will wash him down and then put the hozelock on the finest jet and spray it into the air, its bliss when it comes down on you.

Set to rain over the weekend, so keep an eye on the grass peeps.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Mine live out 25/7. They have a field shelter that they rarely use and lots of natural shelter from hedges and huge trees. They have fly masks on and are hosed or sponged down if it's very hot. I'll be honest though, they don't ever really seem that worried by the heat. Me on the other hand...Im like you OP, not good in the heat at all and it makes me quite unwell if I spend too long in it.