Houghton CIC*** The good, bad and crash (unpleasant pics)

FigJam

teamhopalong.blogspot.com
A beautifully written report as always, I'm so sorry the final result wasn't better for you. :( Sounds like a difficult decision you've made about you and S's eventing career going forwards, but I'm sure you'll both have fun hooning around OIs and 2* tracks and you are better enjoying yourselves than worrying about the wider fences. (on a much smaller scale, I had the same worry about potentially moving up to Nov with Hopalong as she jumps similar to Sarnie- likes to get deep and really bascule up and round, so I worried she would struggle with the extra width on some fences)

Hope Sarnie continues to improve and heals quickly and you are not too sore either. Look forward to hearing a happy comeback report in the near future. :)

leflynn

Visit site
Crikey that is what heck of a fall! Hindsight is a wonderful thing but at least Sarnie is on the mend albeit slowly. I hope you're not hurting too much either other than having dented pride and a bruised hand.

You will be back i'm sure, you're plucky with lovely horses and great support, the dream may happen you never know ;)

sw123

Visit site
I watched your SJ round and she looked really fabulous, was so pleased for you. Horrified to hear you had a fall but really glad that she's on the road to recovery and nothing too serious for both of you. You can be 2 star queens!!

digger2

Visit site
Echo many comments above - read your report with a lump in my throat, well done you, for what you have achieved, and what you both will achieve in the future.

Lots of vibes and gentle hugs, and lots of future fun to be had.

Bryndu

Visit site
Thanks for the post.....so glad you found out what was hindering Sarnie...I feel it is always a bit easier to deal with when you know....and I feel sure both you and she will make a full recovery.

Just a small bit of advice if you don't mind......don't dwell too long on the accident and Sarnie being injured.
You have made your decision on well thought out grounds...so when everything stops hurting and you get back on board a beast......look forwards and kick on.

Best wishes for the future.

Bryndu:)

Hattikins

Visit site
Was so sorry to hear you two had had such a nasty splat :( The photos sum up just how sore both you and Sarnie must be - you're both very brave! She's such a special little horse and she's very lucky to have you as an owner...I'm sure she'll bounce back and you'll both have some wonderful times to come competing together :D

only_me

Visit site
Ouch :(

Fab report, very well written and what a hard decision to make :( But sounds like a good decision, eventing should be fun :)

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Well done for getting that far not many amateurs do. Sounds like you will have some fun and in the future get some cracking foals!

HammieHamlet

Visit site
thank you for sharing your experience - it did make me weep though :( You are Sarnie seem to have such an incredible partnership and it's just so unfortunate that you had to have a fall like that.... but then again, I've seen horses fall around badminton / burghley who have managed to bounce back and come out again in fine form - I hope that the same happens for you both.

I have to say though that I think you would be pretty competitive on that eventers grand prix - hope you manage to do one!! :)

xx

Rosiefan

Visit site
You and Sarnie have a partnership to be proud of and that's what it's all about as far as I can see. She's not a machine, she's a little horse who has always done her best and you're absolutely right to listen to her. I looked at the pictures of the fall when you posted them on FB - I don't want to see them ever again :(.

So - looking forward to your next report whether it's a BS one or an OI. You're both stars in my book and I just know you and Sarnie are going to have the best of fun whatever you do :)

SpottedCat

Visit site
What a report. That was a truly horrid fall, but I defy anyone to say they would have pulled up - sometimes a step up shocks them and they back off then attack, how were you to know?

I am glad she redeemed herself in the SJ because that dressage, words escape me, isn't she naughty?! The SJ looked amazing though, really classy.

DarkHorseB

Visit site
Crikey that was some fall :(
Only you know what you are sat on and how much scope she has to spare so it sounds like a very brave decision you have made. Hope you have lots of fun at a level she really enjoys :)

TheoryX1

Visit site
Ouch, ouch and ouch, poor you and Sarnie, but you both walked away to see another day and you are both in one piece. At least you are both fine, if shaken. Your report really gave me the shivers, having had my daughter have a similar fall at Portman in April. It was a fairly innocuous table jump 3 from the end and her mare chipped in an extra stride, just like Sarnie and she went one way, the mare went another way - the fence judge said her mare literally shook my daughter out of the way to avoid falling on her. Ok it forced the purchase of a new HS1 and a new gas cannister for her Point 2. I see you dont wear one, but honestly it actually saved my daughters life as she would have probably broken her neck with it - definitely recommended but pricey. Like you she went through a real soul search, but honestly nothing could have prevented her fall, just like you.

Just like you she did wonder if she was doing the right thing, and she was only competing at a ONu18, not an Advanced, so huge pats on the back for getting where most event riders only dream of getting, be very proud of yourselves.

I sometimes wish they could talk! We could then ask why they did what they did and how they felt afterwards. Poor thing with her journey home though, she must have been reallly shaken up. Thankfully, our mare just needed a couple of days off and some bute, she whacked her knees and we have had a devil of a job getting the paint off the jump off her white knees, but no harm done in the long term. I suspect Sarnie is no doubt fine, we just dont know how they think, do we?

If its any consolation, we just took her back to BE100 plus for one event and have pressed on with Novice and all is ok. We all love our horses, pretty much most of us on here are not pros, we dont do it for a living and we love our horses for themselves (not that pros dont love their horses, I am not suggesting that for one minute), not for what they can do for us professionally. If we didnt feel the way we do sometimes it wouldnt be natural, but dont waste too much time dwelling on it and I am sure you will be both out together again having fun.

Gentle hugs from me and Mini TX and I will carry the words of the doctor who examined her afterwards for a long time - he said that if you compete at what is effectively a dangerous sport you must expect to fall off sometimes - sometimes you walk away, sometimes you dont, its a calculated risk. Well said BE doctor!

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
So glad you are both OK and I really wouldn't beat yourself up for continuing, as KH said, I think most would have continued as you did and I know there is no way you would have pushed her uneccessarily, regardless of the adrenaline.

Fingers crossed she recovers quickly and you aren't too sore either - I've had that face full of dirt before and it is definately not pleasant, though did remind me of eating sandwiches at the beach ;)

I think I must have had my mouth open as I somehow scooped a mouth full of sand, poor doctor had to give me his water bottle for a good wash out - hope he wasn't thirsty later!

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
I'm so pleased to hear she is better today :)

As others have said hindsight is a wonderful thing, so please don't beat yourself up. I'm sure you will both be back enjoying what you both do best and it will become a distant memory.

May be your dream will be transferred to Pippa now ;)

On a lighter note how much fun did she have doing her dressage test :eek: :D

Yes we can start a new sport of freestyle dressage broncing!

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Thanks for the post.....so glad you found out what was hindering Sarnie...I feel it is always a bit easier to deal with when you know....and I feel sure both you and she will make a full recovery.

Just a small bit of advice if you don't mind......don't dwell too long on the accident and Sarnie being injured.
You have made your decision on well thought out grounds...so when everything stops hurting and you get back on board a beast......look forwards and kick on.

Best wishes for the future.

Bryndu:)

I'll admit I am not coping very well this week but next week will look forward and focus on the future.

monkeymad

Visit site
Haven't read all your replies, but just wanted to say I think you and your mare are both incredibley brave. Your obvious devotion to your horse has made me blub (not good as I am on a quick break from work at A&E!). I am positive your mare will be fighting fit before long as she is obviously very gutsy, and you sound the sort of person who will make your dreams come true in the end, so I am sure you will ride at this level again. I wish you all the luck in the world!

Haniki

Visit site
What a horrible fall, I'm just glad you are both recovering. The SJ was a great round - the fences looked huge. I did have a small laugh at the 'canter' down the long side in the dressage - naughty girl. Hopefully 'Dr Green' and a bit of sun on her back will make Sarnie feel better. She is a lovely horse and lucky to have you as her owner/rider.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
You are alive, she is alive and tomorrow is another day. Chin up and move on. Huge hugs for Sarnie, the dents and dings and wounded pride. Not even Specsavers sell hindsight so forget wishing you'd had it.

amage

Visit site
Ouch absolutely horrible fall you poor poor things. Hindsight is 20/20 vision and please don't blame yourself. I hope to read many more fab 2* reports and massive vibes for both of your recoveries

meardsall_millie

Visit site
I'm not sure there's much to add what everyone else has already said S_J. Very pleased that both you and Sarnie are feeling a bit better.

She did look as though she had a super time in the dressage though! :eek:

Lovely to meet you on Friday :D

now_loves_mares

Visit site
So many supportive, well reasoned replies, and I echo all of them. The only thing I can add, if it's of consolation at all, is a friend was in the exact same position as you, and made the same decision. A gutsy 15.2hh mare who'd skip round Intermediate all day long, but just had too "neat" a technique for the bigger stuff. She became her fun 2* campaigner, and has just had a gorgeous colt foal - the added bonus of Sarnita being female :)

I hope you are both fighting fit very soon, and enjoying whatever you choose to do.

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
I'm not sure there's much to add what everyone else has already said S_J. Very pleased that both you and Sarnie are feeling a bit better.

She did look as though she had a super time in the dressage though! :eek:

Lovely to meet you on Friday :D

Good to meet you too and put a name (and HHO name) to a face! Hope Monday went well.

Pidgeon

Visit site
Jeez, that brought a lump to my throat and gave me goose bumps too!
Dressage, what a little madam, got to love her though :D and boy oh boy does she jump and try her heart out for you in the SJ :)
XC well one hell of a fall for both of you, so so glad you are both on the mend. As for your decision its your life and your horse, go and do what you are both good at and enjoy and if that means dropping down a level then who cares. You've had the balls and the horse to go out there and do it and let's face it how many of us mere mortals would get as far as you have done. I love reading your reports and seeing your photos and videos of Sarnie and will look forward to seeing more of them on here when you are both recovered.
P.S. Remember one important detail you can never change the past but you can change the future. Please try not to dwell on the "should I have pulled up or not" as nothing you decide now will change anything. You made the right decision at the time and no one in their right mind would beat you up for it, so you shouldn't even consider doing that. FWIW I take my hat off to you :)

Bubblegum

Visit site
I am so sorry to read this report, what an awful fall :( . I have read your posts about Sarnie for so long now, and your devotion to her is obvious for us all to see. What a great partnership you two are, it is something we all aspire to.
I wish you both a speedy and full recovery, and know you will both have lots of good times together again.
Very best wishes. :)