House Hunting in Yorkshire

southerncomfort

Visit site
Hi,

OH is starting a new job in Barnsley in mid-September.

We are desperately looking for a horsey property within 45-50 minute commute of Barnsley and I am REALLY struggling to find anything. Doesn't seem to be much on the market at all at the moment.

Most I've found seem to be either directly adjacent to a motorway or in a high flood risk area!

We are travelling up this week to view 4 properties but would really appreciate it if any HHO's would like to help us with our house hunt. :)

Looking for:

Minimum 2 1/2 acres (would need more if there are no stables)
Minimum 3 beds

Don't mind a property that needs work / extending.

All help suggestions gratefully received.

p.s. will need to pick brains re: farriers / vets etc at a later date. ;)

ruth83

Visit site

southerncomfort

Visit site
Thank you both for the suggestions, will have a good look. :)

Unfortunately one of the properties we were going to see has sold so we are down to 3 now. I think while we are up there we'll register with as many agents as possible and see what comes up.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Have a look round north Doncaster - Moss , Sykehouse, Smeaton Tec all close to A1and M62

I would agree, I could commute from Sykehouse to Cudworth in half an hour. You just don't meet any traffic, whatever the time of day, so the commute is pretty effortless. You also get a lot of property for your money :)

southerncomfort

Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions. We are looking in quite a wide area. So far we've seen a property in Doncaster that turned out to be earmarked for something to do with HS2 (every single house on the road was up for sale!), one just over the border in Derbyshire that needed too much money chucking at it, one in Wallingwells which was actually quite nice but a slightly more built up area than I was hoping for, and one in Tickhill that we really liked but also needed a lot of work. May go back for a second viewing on that one.

I agree with you neddy man, I am struggling to find anything near to Barnsley. There are lots around the Bradford area but unfortunately the schools aren't great there.

Budget is absolutely max. of £600,000. I've seen a couple of nice ones at 'offers over £600,000' so perhaps I'll wait for them to drop the price a bit! ;)

Will have another search of the Doncaster areas mentioned above.

Many thanks everyone. I really don't know the area at all so this is all very helpful. :)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Have you looked more to the north of Barnsley? Try looking Penistone or Holmfirth areas. There are some beautiful properties, with land available to suit different budgets. There are also some good schools in those areas.

neddy man

Visit site
Hi found these on www.rightmove.co.uk (Area Penistone distance 10 miles price range 550K to 650K ) Some are over price but have been on a while (the market is very quiet )so may come down to £600K Hood Green £650K 2.5 acres Barnsley 5 miles away on sale 8 months ===Lower Maythorne (Holmfirth 5 miles) £650K 6 acres Bsly 10 mls 2yr ===Hunshelf bank Stocksbridge £650K 5 acres Bsly 10 mls 10 mth ===Emley Moor 650K 1 acre Bsly15 mls 14 mth ===Hepworth £620K 1.5 acre Bsly 10 7mth === Upper dimbledale Briestfield £600K 2.25 acre Bsly ? 10mth ===Hetherton £600K 6 acres Bsly 12 mls 1yr === Hood Green £600K (3 acre by seperate negotiation ( £30K app guess )) Bsly 5mls 1yr ===Hollow Meadows £595K 9 acre Bsly 12 mls 1yr ===Hollow Meadows £560K 6 acres May 17 ===Wortley £510K 4.5 acres Bsly 9 1yr ( 1/2 mile on a quiet lane from 500 acre forest with miles of riding ) Was more money he is desperate to sell 2 x RCs near by plus event venue 2 mls away === Happy looking.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Hi found these on www.rightmove.co.uk (Area Penistone distance 10 miles price range 550K to 650K ) Some are over price but have been on a while (the market is very quiet )so may come down to £600K Hood Green £650K 2.5 acres Barnsley 5 miles away on sale 8 months ===Lower Maythorne (Holmfirth 5 miles) £650K 6 acres Bsly 10 mls 2yr ===Hunshelf bank Stocksbridge £650K 5 acres Bsly 10 mls 10 mth ===Emley Moor 650K 1 acre Bsly15 mls 14 mth ===Hepworth £620K 1.5 acre Bsly 10 7mth === Upper dimbledale Briestfield £600K 2.25 acre Bsly ? 10mth ===Hetherton £600K 6 acres Bsly 12 mls 1yr === Hood Green £600K (3 acre by seperate negotiation ( £30K app guess )) Bsly 5mls 1yr ===Hollow Meadows £595K 9 acre Bsly 12 mls 1yr ===Hollow Meadows £560K 6 acres May 17 ===Wortley £510K 4.5 acres Bsly 9 1yr ( 1/2 mile on a quiet lane from 500 acre forest with miles of riding ) Was more money he is desperate to sell 2 x RCs near by plus event venue 2 mls away === Happy looking.

Thank you so much. I only ever search up to 600 but you're right that many in the higher bracket have been on the market for a long time so it might be worth a cheeky offer! :)

southerncomfort

Visit site
Quick update:

We put in an offer on a house with land and it was accepted. Hopefully we'll be starting our new life up in Yorkshire very soon! :)

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions. :)