House training Help

NicolaC

Visit site
We have a 7 month old springer spaniel puppy which I think by now should be able to go through the night without peeing all over. I have had several dogs from puppies and have never had one that wees so much. He is a very good boy when we are up but when he is shut up with the other 2 dogs at night there is nothing but mess in the morning. He also destroys the beds. He does have toys at night but I am getting to the end of my tether with him. Help please!! :(

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Have you popped him to the vet to rule out an infection. My young dog eats beds, so he doesn't have one! Old towels and fleeces are all he gets to sleep on. You could also look into rubber/cow matting (although mine eats this too, sigh!!)

NicolaC

Visit site
Have tried a crate and put it like this he had to have a bath and have the crate hosed out!!

Haven't taken him to the vets as I know he can hold it. He also has 2 puppy pads but he covers them and more, then rips them up.

bonny

Visit site
I would try withholding water after tea time and depending on how many meals he's still on maybe not feeding after lunchtime. At 7 months he really should be dry through the night unless there is a physical problem which sounds unlikely if he's dry through the day.

CAYLA

Visit site
If this is the only time he passes motions I would hazard a guess its anxiety.

Try (as suggested) feeding him alot earlier in the day
Black out blind at the window incase the break of dawn is making him connect daylight with "wakey wakey" I need the toilet time.
Radio on low to drown out anything disturbing him.

Broodle

Visit site
Can you hear him at night? What I mean is, if he were to whine in the night to tell you he needed a wee could you tell?

One of my girls was still occasionally unable to last through the night till she was about 8 months (the other one was 100% fine through the night from 12 weeks). We just made sure that we always went down to let her out if we heard her in the night (no fuss or chatting, just out in the garden and back in), and this regime (bloody awful though it was at times!) ensured that she never had an indoor accident beyond 10 weeks of age. We were super wary of teaching her that whine=attention, so were v strict about the not fussing her thing and it did work.

Anyway, the point of that ramble was that it might be worth using a baby monitor or similar to listen out for any warning signs that he needs to go.

If it is anxiety rather than a genuine inability to cross his legs, I would have thought that this routine might anyway be helpful... but I will leave those more qualified than I to comment on that one!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
That's funny about the wakey wakey time Cayla, my mum left the living room door open one night last week allowing the light to come in through the kitchen window and I was woken by whining at 5.30am by a young man bursting for a pee, that NEVER normally happens, he has been dry/could last overnight from about four months old.