How and i stop him taking the p*** out ot other people?

Potato!

Visit site
I’m having some issues with my bolshy, bad mannered horse. Well not me actually as I don’t seem to have a problem with him but anybody else and he can and I’ll take the pee. He is very clever and you only have to let him get away with something once and you will have the problem. When I got him 2 years ago he was a complete nightmare to handle and very in your face I have since worked with him and I very rarely have problems. However when other people handle him he is constantly controlling their position being really pig headed.

Does anybody have any tips on teaching my horse to have better manners when other people are handling him. He is a dominant horse who is not frightened of anything or anyone. Once you are dominant over him he relaxes but he has been passed round so many times because he is like this and once he knows your either frightened of him or that you are below him in the pecking order he takes full advantage.

swellhillcottage

Visit site
I am surprised no one has replied to this! I had a difficult horse similar to this in my life for 8 years and I also did a lot of ground work with him - maybe showing others how to handle him on the ground with ground work manoeveres etc would be a good idea - I found if I worked mine for 5 mins a day in hand he would be a saint and if I didn't do anything with him within a couple of days he would be a nightmare. Sorry for not giving too much imput!

S x

BBH

Visit site
I think one of the differences between an owner handling a horse and others is that as an owner you have to put the time and effort into training your horse , you have the commitment. One of the issues with other people handling him is that they probably can't be bothered with the intricacies of figuring out the best way of handling him. If you are yard staff only turning him out you don't have the time or inclination with dealing with a rude horse why bother when plenty of others are well mannered and polite . Its also harder to discipline someone elses horse a bit like someone elses child where are the boundaries . people refused to handle my horse, he was just too much for inexperienced people.On a competition yard they were used to and capable of handling opinionated young warm bloods.

I may be wrong but I get the impression from your post that you are rather proud of bring able to handle him when others can't, almost a badge of honour reflecting your skills but in reality you have created a problem. If you are ever incapacitated of need to sell / loan etc you won't be able to.

You need to go right back to basics with this horse and work with someone experienced in dealing with dominant horses,

Sorry didn't intend to write a book.

Jingleballs

Visit site
I have a cob that can be the same - a bit bargy although I've never experienced it with him myself - not because I think I'm a wonderful horse woman but for whatever reason, he's always good for me. He seems to like to test the boundaries with other people and it can be hard to address that issue. He's generally not too bad thankfully but it is mortifying when I hear that he's gone over the top of someone and he did quite badly injure a fellow livery once (full body bruising, concussion and bleeding behind the eyes).

swellhillcottage

Visit site
I think one of the differences between an owner handling a horse and others is that as an owner you have to put the time and effort into training your horse , you have the commitment. One of the issues with other people handling him is that they probably can't be bothered with the intricacies of figuring out the best way of handling him. If you are yard staff only turning him out you don't have the time or inclination with dealing with a rude horse why bother when plenty of others are well mannered and polite . Its also harder to discipline someone elses horse a bit like someone elses child where are the boundaries . people refused to handle my horse, he was just too much for inexperienced people.On a competition yard they were used to and capable of handling opinionated young warm bloods.

I may be wrong but I get the impression from your post that you are rather proud of bring able to handle him when others can't, almost a badge of honour reflecting your skills but in reality you have created a problem. If you are ever incapacitated of need to sell / loan etc you won't be able to.

You need to go right back to basics with this horse and work with someone experienced in dealing with dominant horses,

Sorry didn't intend to write a book.

Agree this also - Good points!

kentridingclubber

Visit site
Had a v similar problem with my bolshy bossy horse. I struggled on for years trying what I knew to no avail. He was horrendous for yard staff to turn out. When I became badly injured the problems really came to the fore so I sent him for some re training for two weeks (jason webb). Within a day they had his number completely, sorted him out and corrected his ways, and showed me the techniques required to keep up the good work. I am very very lucky that the yard staff are just as determined as me so there is consistency. We are now at the stage where he turns out very well 90% of the time, with the odd relapse which is corrected with about 60 seconds of reminder work. He had to be trotted up at the vets recently and I knew for him this would be a real test, he was fine and 'normal'! Don't know why I struggled on for so long when the methods I was trying were clearly not working. I thought my horse was always destined to be bad to handle or one who could only be handled by a person who knew his special ways, but now he is definitely more user friendly.
I also didn't realise how many allowances I was making for him,(X person cant handle him, got to get him out first, dont lead him out if other horses are going out at the same time as it sets him off - the list goes on of subtle things I would avoid) I was changing my behaviour and actions to avoid his tantrums which is not right!

Last edited:

TarrSteps

Visit site
Had a v similar problem with my bolshy bossy horse. I struggled on for years trying what I knew to no avail. He was horrendous for yard staff to turn out. When I became badly injured the problems really came to the fore so I sent him for some re training for two weeks (jason webb). Within a day they had his number completely, sorted him out and corrected his ways, and showed me the techniques required to keep up the good work. I am very very lucky that the yard staff are just as determined as me so there is consistency. We are now at the stage where he turns out very well 90% of the time, with the odd relapse which is corrected with about 60 seconds of reminder work. He had to be trotted up at the vets recently and I knew for him this would be a real test, he was fine and 'normal'! Don't know why I struggled on for so long when the methods I was trying were clearly not working. I thought my horse was always destined to be bad to handle or one who could only be handled by a person who knew his special ways, but now he is definitely more user friendly.
I also didn't realise how many allowances I was making for him,(X person cant handle him, got to get him out first, dont lead him out if other horses are going out at the same time as it sets him off - the list goes on of subtle things I would avoid) I was changing my behaviour and actions to avoid his tantrums which is not right!

Well done for getting it sorted. I think bbh makes some valid points as well. It may not be the case in this situation - there are horses that are just sharper and need more care than others and they cannot live in all situations - but it's quite common. I worked with a horse recently with a similar set of issues and sent the owner away with a set of exercises. The change in the horse in a week, even for other people, was amazing and her success in that area led her to expect a bit more of the horse generally.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Some horses are not suitable to be handled by amateurs; simple. So either learn how to handle horses properly/in a professional manner, get a professional to train them, or get horses which are more amenable. It sounds like some people have addressed the problem by having their horses professionally trained (which IMO is the correct solution), but also realising your limitations is a valuable insight.