How annoying

Kelly1982

Visit site
After all the rubbish we have had at the yard recently and the YO wanting to bring in more liveries we have decided that it might be a good idea to start looking for a new yard.

Me & my friend have found this excellent yard that is literally a stones throw away from home (current yard is 45mins in rush hour and 30mins normal
shocked.gif
). It has really good facilities (large school, brand new show jumps, XC course, off road hacking) and tons of grazing and also has horsebox and trailer hire which will be really handy for me.

The yard only has 2 vacancies though and we have 3 horses but the owner said to come and look anyway as she does have another stable which she was thinking of keeping for her horse so she may let it out.

The livery though is £5 extra which i personally thought was pretty good value considering the facilities and i would be saving more than that in petrol.

My friends dad is refusing to pay it though as he has 2 horses which would mean an extra £40 for him. He is being quite stubborn and adament that he will not pay it.

I have been stabled with my friend for as long as i can remember so dont really wanna go on my own, plus we go to shows together (when she feels like it though)etc but the offer is so tempting.

Also our yard is completly DIY so i have to rely on my friend a lot as i work up London whereas this yard they have someone there all day and do part DIY or full livery so i wouldn't have to rely on my friend anymore.

Gonna have a look at the weekend and see what i think

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Make the break - at the end of the day you are at a yard that is becoming very unpleasant to be at making what should be fun and relaxing stressful and difficult.

If your friend is working then maybe she can chip in the extra money herself.

Kelly1982

Visit site
I suggested that to her myself as she does work and she laughed and said 'i dont think so'. Daddy pays everything you see!!!

Thing is they have just sold a horse so would of thought that would of given them a bit of extra cash but they are not having any of it.

I like going to shows with her too and am frightened that keep going on my own will take the fun out of it. Plus keep hiring a horsebox out might work out more money as at the mo i muck her horses out for her and give her £10 (she gets diseal free so £10 is hers) which I dont mind doing as we both get something out of it.

KatB

Visit site
Cant believe she wont pay! Surely £40 a mnth out of her own pocket wont break the bank??!!! Grrr!! Sorry, will stop ranting....

Tempi

Visit site
i would move, its nearer to you, and the extra £5 a week is less that what you would be spending on petrol to travel to your current yard. it sounds lovely imo.

i know you dont want to leave your friend, but if she really is your friend she'l keep in touch and if you can hire horsebox or whatever could you not pick her up on the way to competitions or whatever?

if you aren't happy at your current yard and youve got this fab option nearer to you and that can provide you help then id move.

Kelly1982

Visit site
Yeah they are.

They can be very temremental (sp) at times as well, one minute they let me go to shows with the, one minute they wont etc so on one hand i think the brake from then will do me good.

On the other hand we have always been together and i like going to shows with them an being on the same yard as them.

Accy

Visit site
Go for it, you will meet new people make more friends and if she is a true friend you will still get to shows together.

Having a horse is supposed to be fun and if where you are is not working then you owe it to yourself and you horse to move, go look at the other yard and base you decision on what you find.

Kelly1982

Visit site
Dont apologise thats how i feel!!!

She is 24yo and contributes only to their feeds.

He dad even pays for all her comps etc so £40 wont hurt will it

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Kelly, they have had more than their pound of flesh from you. Make a new start for yourself and your horse.

You will make new friends at the new place, have people to go and compete with and share transport with.

And guess what????

They won't demand unreasonable things of you!!!!!!!!

lisan

pets.webshots.com
I would get moved!! There will be other people on the yard to go to shows with, and the facilities sound fab!! You will make new friends, I moved in the summer to a yard where I knew no one, and now have lots of new friends and people to play out with!!

samp

Visit site
i'd move, maybe the livery owner would do a deal for your friend? I have been at my yard for 12years and it has lots of downsides but my horses neighbours owner and I help each other out loads. We used to go to shows together - however we no longer are at the same level. I would feel bad if left her, but for the right yard for me I would move

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I think she is on a winner! You muck out her two horses and give her diesel money when she would be going anyway, have I got that right? She's quids in to my mind.

What you would save on time while mucking hers out, perhaps you could muck out new YO's box and get a cheaper rate trailer hire or something; there must be something you could do for them with that spare time you have which would go some way to paying for trailer, also look how much petrol/travelling costs you would save. If you still put that away in a jar, it would soon mount up enough to pay for the hire wouldn't it? I'm sure at the new yard you would soon make new friends that wouldn't take you for a ride (excuse the pun!
blush.gif
) that you could go to shows with.

Personally, I'd move if the yard is as good as you say, plus the benefits of having someone available to help out in an emergency is worth their weight in gold even if you never have to use them.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
If you like the yard move. You can't run your life round other people - They will let you down in the end. Places don't stay vacant at good yards for long, so you have to take your opertiunities when they arise. At the end of the day you are bound to make new friends (who you aren't ultimately beholden to). Good luck.

katiejaye

Visit site
I say go for it! I had a similar situation with a friend of mine, except she was the one who moved. The new yard cost less and doesn't have such great facilities but had a much better atmosphere than the old one. After visiting her at the new yard twice and realising how much we missed eachothers company I moved there too after a month! I bet your friend will come visit you, realise what she's missing and reconsider. If not you will make new friends. I commute to london too to work (and ride evenings) so I know how valuable it is having a good livery facllity, i'm on half livery during the wk and I never worry about Louis during the day as he is so well cared for...much more so than the old yard.

Kelly1982

Visit site
I think you are all right, its just making the move is very scary and i dont want my friend to get funny with me as i would still like to meet up with her at shows etc.

I am going to go and look at the yard at the weekend i think and ask if poeple go to shows and how much the horsebox hire is etc and see what happens and make my decision from there
crazy.gif

Thanks everyone

Rambo

Visit site
Go and look at the yard Kelly. Where you are now is far from ideal....your sand school is pretty much unuseable, and unlit from what I remember
shocked.gif
confused.gif

You'll still see Vicky out and and about at shows, and you know plenty of other people on the circuit too...

It's a big step, but one that is worth considering imo. Think of the extra time you'll be able to spend with Senza if nothing else
smile.gif

_jetset_

Visit site
Oh it sounds lovely where you are going to look... I had a similar thing a while back. I was on a yard with a girl I got on really well with and we did each others horses when we went away. When her horse died, she bought another one but just couldn't deal with him being in the same stable, so she ended up moving off.

For a few days I was quite upset and felt completely lost without her, and then I realised it was a chance for me to find somewhere better for my girl. So I went looking at yards and found the one I am on now. That was 3 years ago, and there are so many more benefits where I am now than the place I was at. Although I still have a soft spot for the previous yard, this one has limited winter turn out (other had none) and great facilities.

kayleigh_and_rocky

www.kayleigh-nicholls.piczo.com
Come on now, you cant be latched to this friend your whole life and this yard sounds like an amazing oppurtunity and good in every aspect. You cant plan your whole life around another person, you have to step out on your own. Think of your horse and think of yourself and make the break!

Skhosu

Visit site
I think ditch the friend and grab the new yard!
She is getting far too much out of you and does not sound like a fried at all IMO!
You can still see her at shows, make the decision for your horse and you, not her!

bandit

Visit site
Kelly

Right - this is the best situation to be in....

You will have Senza right by your house - you will meet lots of nice new people who probably also will be going to shows - a yard like that will attract them... your friend hasn't always been as 'friendly' as you want - you tell me quite alot about her being spoilt / stubburn / changing her mind at hte last minute and letting you down all the time about transport to shows....

if you move - you won't have to rely on her, and having someone else there to help is great - just like where I am.... means you never owe favours to people...

when you go to shows you will see her there,,,, and frankly i suspect she'll want to move if you do, so DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

plus, if you make the move first - you'll have one of the nicer boxes....

Mate - you will be made and a fool to say no to htis opportunity.. imagine only spending 5 mins in the car to get to the yard - and if it has all what you say it has, it will be amazing!!!!!!!

don't let her stop you, be brave and do it...

Bxxx

Theresa_F

Visit site
If this new yard is as nice as you say, then I would move.

I hate moving yards, but have always managed to fit in and find new friends - probably find they are all hiding on H&H and will now say what a horrible person I am with big hairy smelly horses.

Personally for me, having a DIY assisted livery works very well. We do help each other out, but we can also pay for livery when we need it.

Good luck.

happyhack

Visit site
That must be so annoying, I have been following your progress with the yard. Its a shame you couldnt get it sorted out. Will you mention it all when you give notice?

Kelly1982

Visit site
I doubt we will mention it to be honest as they are not the only reason we are considering leaving now and if it takes a few months to find a yard we may have all sorted it out by then.

I still wanna have it out with them though but i haven't seen them all week. My rug have still been dumped on the floor in favour of their rugs though
mad.gif