How are people coping with their sycamore seedlings?

Patchworkpony

Visit site
How are people coping with their sycamore seedlings? Have there been any reported deaths this year? Sneaky way to kill a neighbour's tree?

debsflo

Visit site
Spent the last few weeks pulling them up every day , nearly on top of them .in addition mine come in at night for hay as heard those most at risk are on grass full time. In previous years have sectioned field and cleared before allowing them on.

Patchworkpony

Visit site
Spent the last few weeks pulling them up every day , nearly on top of them .in addition mine come in at night for hay as heard those most at risk are on grass full time. In previous years have sectioned field and cleared before allowing them on.
Is the tree on your own land?

skint1

Visit site
After being inundated last year with both seeds and seedlings and losing my mare to the seedlings ( a year ago tomorrow actually :( ) I moved my boys to a field on a different part of the farm (it's not my land, I am just a livery) so I don't have to worry as much about it anymore, though am still vigilant of course. However, the owners who have horses in those fields have not seen any seeds or seedlings. It's very strange, before last year I never recall seeing any at all, and we haven't had any since. (It would seem)

hairycob

Visit site
I've got quite a few seedlings at one end of one paddock despite the nearest tree being 1/4 mile away. I won't use that paddock until June and in the meantime am walking the field and pulling up any I see. Not going through that again.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
The wind direction was completely different this winter

Well, explain why I have none, nor does my neighbour :p
2 large trees in the border of our fencing in the middle of a long straight stretch (they are hers, I've lived with them for 40 odd yrs as brilliant shade in the summer).
A few seedlings from the london planes, but nowhere as many as last yr, also a few from the 2 x field maples, but burger all from the Sycamores to date :)

Patchworkpony

Visit site
I think there were less this year, certainly compared to the year before. My vet has reported no deaths yet this spring and last autumn - so that's good.

PollyP99

Visit site
All quiet on reports around here too this year, we lost one possibly two (unreported and before more was known) 2 years ago and last year we had another saved - we moved soon after when it all became apparent but the paddocks have others in and have been fine (and were for 40 years or so before that).