How are we doing?

Regandal

Visit site
Easiest way to stop your legs moving is, as mentioned earlier, to take your weight on your thighs, in walk and trot. Don't push from the feet, let the horse push you forward and back when trotting. You're doing great!

JFTDWS

Visit site
Sorry this was the post Iwas trying to find:

And possibly the best advice I have ever had was from a rather blunt boss, which went along the lines of 'if you cba to sit in the right ****ing place, why the **** should the horse bother? And if by chance it does, how the **** would it know it was there if you aren't too for **** sake?'. Maybe not the politest way to explain, but none the less true.
Read more at https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/...an-outline.561227/page-11#YSCURcHDAYxX5wC5.99

Blimey... That's going back a bit. I would say it's a shame a lot of the photos are broken links, but actually, I'd probably rather not see mine :oops:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Blimey... That's going back a bit. I would say it's a shame a lot of the photos are broken links, but actually, I'd probably rather not see mine :oops:

Actually, as I went back, quickly, through the thread, I didn't notice any missing pics. It was really Ll's post that I was looking for and the photos prompted the rest of my post.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Actually, as I went back, quickly, through the thread, I didn't notice any missing pics. It was really Ll's post that I was looking for and the photos prompted the rest of my post.

A lot of them aren't showing for me - I presume that's not just my computer? There are also a lot which are showing (and I agree it's a useful and interesting post, for the OP particularly).

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
A lot of them aren't showing for me - I presume that's not just my computer? There are also a lot which are showing (and I agree it's a useful and interesting post, for the OP particularly).

I did only look through quickly and I wasn't looking for any particular posters (except Ll), so I'm sorry but I can't say whether you photo was showing or not.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I wasn't really asking about mine specifically, more in general if there's a tech issue given the number that didn't show for me - but it's not a big deal, I only wondered if you'd noticed. Not that it matters, I can live without seeing archaic photos.

Myloubylou

Visit site
I’d recommend trying rising trot without stirrups, you won’t be able to brace with your feet to rise and your leg should be able to be stiller. I know how hard it is to keep everything together when the horse isn’t being very forward. I make sure she’s listening and reactive by doing short transitions up and down before doing trot or canter large, circles or lateral.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I wasn't really asking about mine specifically, more in general if there's a tech issue given the number that didn't show for me - but it's not a big deal, I only wondered if you'd noticed. Not that it matters, I can live without seeing archaic photos.

Post 61 was the first missing photo that I found (or didn't actually:p). It would be interesting to know if the same is missing on your computer.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Legs often move without us being aware of it. I'm not sure why, but it's common. I think both you and your pony look great.
ps, (I'm also off to Google Carl Hester's hands);)

It can depend on the shape of the horse and the rider's legs. When I compare my own legs in videos of me riding my round cob and my more straight sided lightweights, it's like chalk and cheese. On one video comments were made about me 'spurring him at every stride', when I wasn't, and on another comments were made about how still I sat. I liked the second lot of comments better 😂. The cob's round body and my long legs just meant that his belly hit my calf at a point where it pushed my legs out at every stride.

I don't know if this is what's happening to you, maybe, Karen? It looks like part of it to me, he is a big round boy. Either shortening or lengthening your stirrups a hope might help if so. Otherwise, try to focus on a feeling of wrapping your leg around him. It needs flexible hip joints to achieve it though!.

PS I've just watched your video and that's a BIG improvement from the last one I remember watching. Well done.

Last edited:

JFTDWS

Visit site
Post 61 was the first missing photo that I found (or didn't actually:p). It would be interesting to know if the same is missing on your computer.

index~~element43.jpg

Interesting comments, nice to read. Can I have some cc on the above please?

No photos for me - I think that says broken links, rather than anything else!

Chippers1

Visit site
Sorry this was the post Iwas trying to find:

And possibly the best advice I have ever had was from a rather blunt boss, which went along the lines of 'if you cba to sit in the right ****ing place, why the **** should the horse bother? And if by chance it does, how the **** would it know it was there if you aren't too for **** sake?'. Maybe not the politest way to explain, but none the less true.
Read more at https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/...an-outline.561227/page-11#YSCURcHDAYxX5wC5.99

I've started going through this, it's so interesting! I'd start a new similar one if I dared :D

Horsekaren

Visit site
He just amazes me :D a week off whilst we sorted out the mud fever, pop on this morning to this! Canter has hope,haha on this rein ;) i just need to get my position and balance, but the consistency of the trot gets better every day! He is really learning to hold him self coming back from canter, last month we would just rush forward where he would try and find balance, struggling to to fall on his face!

Beard has now gone (tache remains) and i'm loving his new doo!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I did have a lunge lesson 8 days ago ... I am still broken and recovering from the sheer pain that caused me lol
Note to self ** Do not going out drinking and be very poorly at 2am when you have a lunge lesson booked at 7.30!

JFTDWS

Visit site
You're looking a lot more like you're all in this together, now.

(I appear to be channelling David Cameron... we're all this together... hmm...)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
There are some very nice moments, for his stage of training. Can you get someone with a more powerful camera to zoom in on the two of you all the time and then really watch closely and note what you are doing, when he is going well? Then try to replicate that for more of the time.

I do think that you would benefit from lunge work on a different horse or sessions on a mechanical horse to develop your balance, your muscles will get used to it ;). Do you hack him (sorry I can't remember)? Hacking over varied terrain is excellent for both horse and rider balance.

Horsekaren

Visit site
I know! he looks so different, there was me thinking i owned a HW cob, he is more of a LW lol! The mane is staying, its too beautiful!
I will have another mechanical horse lesson and more lunge lesson's just need to save some pennies!
Yes we do hack but not too often as i'm a big wimp! As the weather gets nicer i'm aiming for once a week :)
He seems to go his best when i leave him alone, so more often than not when we lose it, its because ive interfered, so trying trying to be quiet. Hoping soon that he will naturally chose to hold himself in that way so i don't have to keep asking.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I know! he looks so different, there was me thinking i owned a HW cob, he is more of a LW lol! The mane is staying, its too beautiful!
I will have another mechanical horse lesson and more lunge lesson's just need to save some pennies!
Yes we do hack but not too often as i'm a big wimp! As the weather gets nicer i'm aiming for once a week :)
He seems to go his best when i leave him alone, so more often than not when we lose it, its because ive interfered, so trying trying to be quiet. Hoping soon that he will naturally chose to hold himself in that way so i don't have to keep asking.

If you are sitting in the right place and using your seat to ask for impulsion, he will hold himself in that way, especially if you can get your hands steady (without being fixed). Be careful with your stirrups, too, you look to have your feet too far through, the balls of your feet should be on the stirrup tread, which might help you to keep your feet steadier and toes pointing forwards.

tristar

Visit site
he`s a nice canter in the first couple of goes quite carrying himself upright.

what about going on some sponsored rides as they are off road and with other horses, to get him fitter/forward

Tarragon

Visit site
I am enjoying these threads. I admire the way you are prepared to put yourself forward for criticism and listen to the advice. I reckon that I am probably not far off where you are at the moment riding wise, except that I am the opposite in terms of I am happy to hack for miles and don't have a school, so I am shamelessly trying to pick up on all the points being raised :)

Pinkvboots

Visit site
That video is such an improvement on the last ones his so much more forward, your riding has really come on well done.

I would have to hog him I think he looks so much better clipped out especially the legs, I would do it all year round his really not that heavy at all and the overall picture is much better.

Annagain

Visit site
I agree it's a big improvement and wonder if the week off has renewed his enthusiasm for school work? You've admitted you don't like to hack. Maybe you're doing a little bit too much in the school and he was a bit sour in other videos, hence not being as forward? It makes a big difference to my boy. More than three times in a row in the school without poles or jumps or a hack in between and he's a total donkey. I don't mean that as criticism, I just know from my experience that some horses like to mix it up a bit. The suggestion of a fun ride is an excellent one.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
He's looking super! Massive well done. His canter is actually pretty good quality when it comes together, and I think you're doing absolutely the right thing by bringing him back to trot before he falls out of balance and then setting him up and going again.

Horsekaren

Visit site
Lol, i keep getting really excited and coming back to this post :D

He had the vet/chiro out on the weekend who advised he wasn't lame, he has a short stride behind because he has tension in his back and shoulder. She gave me loads of stretches to do with him and he had 2 acupuncture needles and seems to be fine since :D

We have still been working hard (not too hard 3ish times a week :D) and he is just coming on so well (i think) We can now keep some sort of balance in a straight line and his trot seems to be more and more consistent :D
We arnt really focusing on canter but we but we do some every schooling session just to make sure we are getting the right lead, he has stopped dropping in on both reins :D I'm wondering if he is bombing around to fast? how can i slow him down?

I imagine a judge would say he needs to be more forward but when he is trotting nice an steady if i ask for canter he will pop straight into it. Does that mean he is forward?

My hands looks ever so mobile and aggressive but i still am struggling to keep a contact so when they move please dont think i have a contact already and am then yanking, i basically have nothing and have to use my hand rather than my fingers to flex because the contact isnt strong to begin with. He responds well to it and im hoping soon my contact will improve and my aids will become softer.

I am really struggling with keeping my lower leg still, i can now keep my heels down and am rising softer but my legs are still flappy :(

But all in all doesnt he look fantastic, a year a go to now :D lol it looks like i swapped him for another pony :'D

A year ago

This week

Reactions: TPO

LaurenBay

Visit site
A huge improvement! you should be so proud of yourself and him!

I would say that your reins do need to be a bit shorter, plus you really need to work on keeping them still. My RI always told me to imagine I was holding sponges, no need to move your hand but sometimes you need to squeeze and sponge and keep a consistent contact. When the Horse is moving correctly he will seek out the contact and your hands are already in postilion to support him. It looks like in your vid that he is trying to work into a contact but your hands then move which then in turn makes you fiddle with them to bring him back. I am by no means a great rider so I may be way off the mark and happy to be corrected!

But I love reading your updates, bloody fantastic!!!