How are y’all coping in this heat??

chocolategirl

Visit site
Just brought my lot in and they’re all sweating in their fly rugs! Had to hose them down poor babies? this was at 11am! All I can think about is all those poor horses up and down the country stuck in rugs they can’t take off? hope everyone’s coping ok ?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I'm not ? 26/27 after 10pm last night, 22 before 7 and currently tipped past 30.
No rain, bugger all breeze. I'm getting v grumpy....

Even my 2 x mini shetlands are lurking in one field shelter and B has taken herself off to the bigger shelter nr the yard. They are all out 23/7 as it's so tinder dry, I worry about them being left in (coming in twice a day for check over and whilst I poo pick)

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Horse is fine, is in an airy barn. Sadly, I spent almost 3 hours scrubbing the walls/floors of the horsebox this morning!

I felt mad, but it has to be done when it is hot so it dries out quickly.

Resting up now, as this evening I will be re-packing it.

Time for a box-set in front of the fan, I think. Manifest, I think.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Would prefer to have mine in during day/out at night currently, but they are in at night instead at the moment due to all the thunderstorms. Two of them had their SI joints and hocks medicated last week, and the last thing I want is them zooming around in a tizz and undoing all that expensive vet work...

In hand rehab work over poles completed by 9 am latest, then hosed and out in fly rugs, with more hosings during the day as necessary.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I live on a hill so we have a light breeze which makes it bearable.

My mum who lives much further south, put her garden thermometer in her bedroom at 10pm last night. It read 30°! ?

BarneyTheChestnutOne

Visit site
My 2 oldies and youngster have open access to 2 big airy concrete foaling boxes and have been spending lots of time out of the heat in there. At the livery yard my 2 ridden horses have no shelter in their fields so they are in for the worst of the heat in the day. It's marginally better but the stables are wooden and not a massive amount of airflow inside. No thunderstorms where we are yet.....

PSD

Visit site
I have to leave mine out at the minute as no stable. Checked on her last night at 7 and she was sweating under her fly rug - I feel awful for her. There’s a bit of shade in the field but not a great deal

IrishMilo

Visit site
I dislike fly rugs for that reason exactly. Horses are in during the day in big shady stables (American barn) and out at night.

dorsetladette

Visit site
Melting!! The horses are out 24/7 with a field shelter and lots of shade. The sheep are really struggling as are the chickens and turkeys.

Our hay was delivered Monday afternoon, loading that into the barn wasn't fun. We ended up having a shower under hose once we were finished. I think the last few weighed about 1/2 a tonne.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Mine are in about 10am and out about 3pm as they get some shade in the field then, I left the fly rugs off last few days as they were sweating underneath, we need a bit of a storm to kill the humidity.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I’m in front of a fan and the horses are in all day. I have stone stables but they do get hotter as the afternoon wears on. I am thoroughly hosing them down and turning them back out at 7pm. Neither wear fly rugs or masks.

I can’t wait for some cloud, no humidity, lower temperatures and dare I say it some rain.

Louby

Visit site
I feel really mean!! No shade in the field, large hedge but no real overhanging trees, wooden stables that are awful in this heat and out in fly rugs, masks as she runs up and down in a frenzy with the horseflies. Ours are out in the day, in at night and glad to come in out of the heat..... into the heat :( We have a new baby Highland, Im putting his mane in plaits to try and help and they all get a hosing down when they come in.
Hoping its cooler tomorrow

Hallo2012

Visit site
so far so good..............out in the day as wont have them out in the storms at night.

fly rugs on and one has a shelter, other has a few trees.

come in at 5pm and get hosed off then stand in front of their stable fans, ridden about 7pm.

they are only a tiny bit sweaty in armpits in field, and not bothered by the flies unduly.........despite being surrounded by dairy cattle we dont have hardly any flies and i cant really work out why albeit not complaining!!!!!

Bradsmum

Visit site
Both horses out 24/7 but they have shade under some huge beech trees so they wander in and out as they please. One has to wear a fly rug or he gets eaten alive whilst the chestnut never seems to be bothered. They are both currently under the trees and I've retreated inside as its v warm here.

NinjaPony

Visit site
We are coping just about. My boy's breathing is much worse in the heat so it's been a choice between standing in the stable (bad) or out in the heat (also bad). Yesterday I went up with a water container to slosh him down in the field. He has to have a fly rug on or he gets eaten alive and has sweet-itch.

Found a better solution today: both out in the shaded bit of the walkway with hay/haylage under the trees, and I'll move one up to his proper field which doesn't have any shelter at 6pm, and the other laminitis one can come in again. This way the laminitic one has company so he doesn't stand there neighing at everyone until he comes in!

Dyllymoo

Visit site
I'm struggling, J isn't too bad. He has been going out at lunchtime after a morning in as unfortunately this is the one time he can get out and his stable does get most of the sun during the day. I have been bringing him in when I get to the yard and giving him a sponge down and extra spray of fly spray. Its more the flies that are a nightmare at the minute then the heat.

I rode Monday morning early but haven't ridden and wont ride until the end of the week, both of us are too hot and the hacking will be there still another day.

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Just given 2 of mine cold showers and put them back in stables, cobbler had cold shower this am after riding and is still lovely and cool. Two have just come in and are very warm but leaving them a bit before they get a cold shower too. So much salt comes off the non ridden ones, just shows you why horses need salt supplements all year!

Widgeon

Visit site
Ours seem fine, they're all out in fly rugs and for some reason are choosing not to stand under the trees or hedges but to congregate in the most open, hot, dusty part of the fields. Flies haven't been awful, considering the weather, and the horses spend most of the day dozing in the hot, hot, sun. And pooing. They are all poo machines at the moment.

Green Bean

Visit site
My mare is on box rest at the moment, but I go down twice a day to take her out for an hour of grass each time. I am cooking. Yesterday she informed me we were going back to the stable after half and hour because she couldn't handle the heat. I try to limit my sun exposure with a very unflattering hat and having my back to the sun with my arms crossed in front of me, but am still boiling. Tried an umbrella yesterday but she wasn't having any of it, not the bravest one around! I took her out at 11 today and she started breathing quite heavily after 45 minutes - very unusual for her, she isn't asthmatic or anything, so must have just been the heat. I can't wait for Friday and not for the usual reasons!

exracehorse

Visit site
Can’t bring in as the tin roof stables are hotter than a sweat box in Vietnam. So they are out. Covered in flies. Despite me spraying them up each morning. Summer grass all gone. Just yellow tufts. Ground cracking. I’m feeding haylage twice a day. The sweetitch boy has to have his Rambo rug on which is canvas. He’s dying. I haven’t ridden for since last Thursday when the heat wave begun. 38 in Suffolk today. Was 33 at 7pm last night. I clean for a living so not coping well either. Zero sleep as house is like a furnace. The old Labrador is suffering. So .... I’m not a happy girl.

planete

Visit site
No fly rug on mine but I cover him in Deosect and he wears an earless fly mask. He is now really white which may help and does not seem bothered at all. He has a very shady area in his field but rarely goes there. As for me it I get up at 5.30 and retreat indoors by 8.30/9.00 and do not go out until 7pm. All windows wide open at night and closed during the day, blinds and curtains drawn. The temperature inside the house has not gone above 25C even when it was 32C outside.

Odyssey

Visit site
I'm finding it pretty unbearable, I find it ok up to the low-mid 70's. Much over that and I'm uncomfortable and drained. When I was driving last night for only 5 minutes and was struggling with the heat, I thought of the millions of poor animals around the world being transported for slaughter in boiling hot lorries, some for days, and doubtless with no water or food. ? That rather put my discomfort into perspective.

teddypops

Visit site
My ponies are in - very cool stone stables- due to heat and the amazing number of flies. I get all my riding done before 8. Dogs are all flaked out in the house in a direct line from the fan!

Sprat

Visit site
I'm on my third shower of the day and still sweating.

Horse is struggling, in during the day out of the heat but still getting sweaty in the stable. I'm going to clip the poor girl this evening as she just can't cope with this heat.

Never thought I'd be longing for winter!