How are y’all coping in this heat??

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Mine are doing ok I think. One is 25yrs and appears to be coping well.

It’s been 30-35C here and no rain for weeks. Hardly anything for months. I’m feeding hay 24hrs now. Boys have mostly been in during the day coming in about 6.30-7 on riding days and mid-morning non riding days. I then I turn-out about 6pm. I hose them in their fly rugs before turning out. I’m also hosing down the insides of their stables and their beds in the evening to keep dust down and it seems to cool the boxes down as they dry overnight. They’ve been ridden early just light hacking then hosed off before going in their boxes for the day. They both have wet mash feeds with salt added.

They have a big tree for shade in their current paddock but I don’t want them in it if we have a storm so I’m a bit worried about that as it’s hard to predict.

Muddywellies

Visit site
I'm playing in out in out shake it all about with stable and field. Stable provides shade but it v hot so I'm juggling stable and turnout (thank god i work from home). Riding at 7.30 am and even then it's hot. Roll on winter (did I really just say that??)

windand rain

Visit site
Mine are cooking themselves out 24/7 with natural shade and where are they in the middle of the field grazing and swishing their tails. The one that doesnt sweat is in her pen and is wearing her fly rug which has been soaked in water she seems to prefer it dry but tough dont want her poorly

Sprat

Visit site
Omg! Have had thunder for the last half hour, and..... drum roll..... 4 minutes of rain!
Still thundering in the background, but cloud already clearing so that's our lot for wet stuff.

I think we are due a few days of storm and rain, it's so close. The air desperately needs clearing but nothing yet. We had some rolls of thunder and a bit of lightening last night, but still nothing much.

The reports of the flooding in Scotland are awful, they have had so much that cars are floating away.

Reacher

Visit site
We had a spectacular thunderstorm on Monday night (which put out broadband in the area) but it is still just as humid . I've given up with fly rugs as they are too hot and flies don't seem as bad. Except for the stupid midges. I left horses out a bit later in evening as it was cooler and Mr H got eaten by midges and was rubbing himself frantically.

It's 'only' 26 degrees here so maybe not as hot as elsewhere.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I
Just brought my lot in and they’re all sweating in their fly rugs! Had to hose them down poor babies? this was at 11am! All I can think about is all those poor horses up and down the country stuck in rugs they can’t take off? hope everyone’s coping ok ?

I got a mental image of a pool of melted chocolate, reading your post.

You might say we've had "mad hot" temperatures here for the past month or two. It's been the driest July since 1959; temperatures regularly over 29°C and sometimes between 33°C and 38°C through the day and 22°C to 24°C through the night for six to ten days in a row... It's a bit much, but not exactly unheard of over here.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
We have a mixed reaction here.

My Spanish mare, who I thought would be absolutely fine, is sweating and hot.

Mimosa is still bouncing around like a Labrador puppy and hasn’t broken a sweat ?

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
35 here today and didn't get below about 25 last night. House was 27. I had all doors and windows open all night but had to shut them all about 5am as it was thundering and the dogs were panicking. No b*****y rain though, getting desperate. We are still mucking out our barn, not nice in this heat but has to be done.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
It's humid here but not as hot as yesterday. Was hoping for some rain.

Horses are cool as cucumbers in their stables, neither have sweated at all, unlike us.

scats

Visit site
I was meant to be going to a farm ride tomorrow but I’ve postponed til Saturday as Millie would struggle in 30degree heat.
Horses are in their stables during the day which are cool. I’ve been grooming dogs all day. I need to invest in an air con system or something because the fan I’ve got is just blowing the hot air around.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Down in the south and it's horrible boiling and sticky and has been for the last week
I'm wfh and keep having to cold shower I hate the heat with a passion

I usually feel the cold easily but can't remember the last time I was cold just been constantly sweating and its making me itchy and irritated

I've had all the blinds down like a bat cave but it hasn't helped

I would love a few big storms the weather forecast keeps teasingly promising them then changes it to more awful hot weather

There's no breeze and if there's a slight one its warm

I miss the winter and being warm and cosy watching the bad weather outside I would say summer is my least favourite season

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I have melted but horses are absolutely fine. They could stand in the shade of a massive holly but they seem to prefer to be out in the middle of the field, catching the breeze. I have just checked their water but they don't look to have drunk any since this morning's check. Sheep, on the other hand are lying around panting, when they could get under the shade of several trees but haven't done so. I'm afraid they were all out in last night's storm but it doesn't seem to have done them any harm, which being inside in those temps might have done.

Spotherisk

Visit site
Horses are living out on six acres of crisp burnt off grass. We moved here a year ago and the flies are loads worse than our previous place, Harley where’s a fly mask, Smurf (who is naughty) removes his quickly so I have given up. They were both Deosected on Friday, I’m not convinced it’s helped much. Harley stands for fly spray, Smurf is not so easy to catch! They could stand in the shade, but often don’t.

I am at home today, which is a timber barn quite small, south wasn’t facing and with windows just on that side, so never a through flow or air. It is crazy hot, and we have been concreting today too!

southerncomfort

Visit site
Well the breeze dropped here so brought my 2 in to the small yard as its surrounded by trees, so nice and shady.

Probably going to give it another hour before I put them back out.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Horses are fine, they are in during the day and the stables are cool.

I am not fine. I inhabit the top floor west office wing at work, with no air conditioning or opening windows and have been sweating continuously since about 10 this morning. Just got home and the house is at least coolish. Thundering merrily rumbling overhead now. I stink and my work productivity is getting lower and lower.

Hang on, I think it just started raining ???...might get naked and dance outside?‍♀️

oldie48

Visit site
Rose survived three days at AM Dressage, worked hard and sweated buckets. fortunately the stabling is in a big airy barn and it was cool. She ate loads of haylage and drank buckets of water but looked pretty chilled. I opened every available means of ventilation in the lorry for the journey home and she came off cool. She'll go out tonight, it looks as if we are going to miss the storms but it is still very hot and humid. OH has been bringing Fatty in very early in the morning in Rose's absence and he has behaved impeccably but was obviously pleased to be in our stables which are probably the coolest place to be in this heat!

Bernster

Visit site
Hot hot hot. trying to work out if it’s better to close the windows and curtains or not but not sure either makes much difference. Cooling mats on rotation, fans on constantly and the occasional run through the sprinkler (lovely).

Horse is out overnight and having a quieter time of it. Stable isn’t so bad during the day as it’s got 2 openings and it’s big and quite airy. Yard are hosing them off too so he’s doing better than me I think!

buddylove

Visit site
I might have to be scraped up off the floor later. PC camp in 30° heat, with 2 ponies, and 2 riders that are still a bit wobbly and need mum close by. So lots of running and jumping, arena, cross country and a massive hack across open fields and woods. Thank the good Lord we decided to just do one day this year.....
Ponies coped brilliantly, one hardly sweated up at all. When they are at home they are out 24/7 have free access to field shelter and come and go as they please.