How are y’all coping in this heat??

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
And praise be! Its chucking it down and temps dropped nearly 10 degrees!
aaahhhhhhh
share it, please!!!

we've had thunder and lightning, the clouds come and go, humidity is about 6 million % and there's been mass panic on the straw baling because every night promises torrential rain but it just hasn't come.

Toooo hot. Horses were sweating in their boxes this morning and those are usually pretty cool stables. Moving day for us so hosed them off before loading up and they weren't too bad on arrival. A 3.30 lesson just about finished me off though. it was 34 yesterday and I reckon it was hotter today.

the wind has got up now so I really hope this is the rain coming.. though forecast is hit and miss so who knows. trying to get motivated to go back to old yard and clear out my stables, urghhhhh

Steerpike

Visit site
First day today a couple of mine were sweating in their stables, not sure what's worse being in a field with no shade and tons of flies or in their stables in a big metal roofed barn. Flies definitely seem worse this year and this is the first year I've fed haylage all year round in the field. But we've just had a huge storm and now it's raining, the first lightening strike has hit our village co op about 200yrds away. I am melting still though!

SEL

Visit site
How can a person who owns horses be so stupidly thoughtless. Banned for life if I had my way.
I thought the same. How did they think that was going to be ok?

Storms hit here at 4 so temps dropped 10 degrees. I have 2 plastered in mud and the small pony whose breathing has worried me all week was having a mad moment. Lots of squealing, bucking and farting.

doodle

Visit site
It’s actually hotter here today after the massive storm overnight. Certainly hasn’t cleared the air and hoping no more storms as it was so bad.

asmp

Visit site
I actually got around to getting an electrician to fit the ceiling fan In my bedroom that I bought ages ago. It’s great - we’ve been able to sleep In this heat. Would thoroughly recommend one ?

scats

Visit site
Apparently someone left horse on a wagon when they went off round the farm ride... horse collapsed and unfortunately was not able to be saved... ‘‘twas not pretty to witness

OMG. What is wrong with people?!!

We’ve had a lot of thunder and lightening this week. Unfortunately, a horse a couple of miles up the road was hit by lightening on Monday night and killed instantly. Poor owner is in bits.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Well has all been rather dramatic in the last couple of hours here. Torrential rain, lightning and thunder all over the show. One of our trees has been struck, and two one the land next door, one of which has caught on fire. Fortunately almost out again now, but was a bit of a hoo hah as no easy vehicular access to that bit of land so the fire engine couldn't get through. Just fortunate the rain has killed it off mostly. So us and neighbours are on fire watch and I've got a food delivery due any time now....

Fortunately I had just finished riding Arts when the lightning started up and made the hasty decision to leave in. Haven't had a chance to exercise one of the three today but I'm sure she'll live.

Temperature hasn't dropped much though.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
We are coping just about, I am lucky to have a nice shady indoor pen to make up for the lack of shade outside. It's been very hot here. He's in during the day and out at night. Sadly his itching is really bad to the point he bleeds, which makes the flies love him and then he itches more. We are nearly there with controlling it.
I have made a little Vlog about it if anyone is interested in what I do. It's my new venture since Nickel has become retired from competing/training.

Hot Horse Vlog

chocolategirl

Visit site
I

I got a mental image of a pool of melted chocolate, reading your post.

You might say we've had "mad hot" temperatures here for the past month or two. It's been the driest July since 1959; temperatures regularly over 29°C and sometimes between 33°C and 38°C through the day and 22°C to 24°C through the night for six to ten days in a row... It's a bit much, but not exactly unheard of over here.
I keep my chocolate in the fridge ???

PSD

Visit site
Just given 2 of mine cold showers and put them back in stables, cobbler had cold shower this am after riding and is still lovely and cool. Two have just come in and are very warm but leaving them a bit before they get a cold shower too. So much salt comes off the non ridden ones, just shows you why horses need salt supplements all year!

what salt do you feed? Is it sea salt or normal table salt?

My equine life

Visit site
Me worrying about the lightning!! Horses out. Might bring them in tomorrow when we are meant to get more lightning but I can never decide in or out with lightning!!

Marnie

Visit site
We had thunder, lightning and 10mm of rain starting about 6 here in Warickshire but the temperature could do with dropping a bit more. Horses are in during the day in a 14ft by 25ft shed which just has gates at either end so stays remarkably cool. They are out now, but I did wait for the storm to finish - although it seems to be rumbling again now.

My downstairs which has really thick stone walls and stone flagged floor is lovely and cool - the upstairs not so cool, but not bad at all with a fan. I'm feeling very lucky at the moment!

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
31°c here for most of the day (Shropshire).
To be fair, the horses seem fine, they are out 24/7 and barely seem to notice the thunder and lightning. We live near am army camp snd helicopter flight path so they are used to regular, loud noise I guess. Poor sods are being plagued by flies though ?
I detest this heat and humidity, I have Fibromyalgia so it sends my nerve ending insane...sensory overload.
We had an almighty storm here earlier this eve with water causing huge flash flooding ?

southerncomfort

Visit site
Anyone using the real time lightning map websitehttps://www.lightningmaps.org/?lang=en It shows you where the storms are happening and you can zoom out for really local detail.

I absolutely love this and have been annoying my family by regularly shouting out where a new storm has bubbled up!! ?

Its very addictive!

meleeka

Visit site
We left the South of England yesterday with temperatures of 34 degrees and were really looking forward to the rain promised in South Wales. I take it back. All of it. We are in a tent and the storm last night was brutal. The poor dogs were terrified by the thunder, although once the rain stopped the lightening was quite pretty. Another forecast tonight :(

oldie48

Visit site
Yeah we had an inch of rain overnight! Having decided we were going to miss the storms, I put the horses out and within an hour we had a little rain but a storm really hit us later on in the night. Horses took no notice though (I can see and hear them from my bedroom) and they came in happily this morning looking a bit dusty from having had lots of rolls! Temp has dropped considerably but will go up again, I think.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I hope that the feckwit who left the horse on the lorry at Somerford is prosecuted for, at least, animal neglect (not sure that a cruelty charge would stick, though what happened was indeed a very cruel and unnecessary end for that poor horse).

ETA Torrential rain here last night, along with epic thunder and lightning. A muck barrow is not an accurate rain gauge, but this lot collected overnight.

4EBAA722-7998-45C1-B770-FC81F0B476E4.jpeg

Last edited:

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Thunder started last night, about 20h, but the rain only came down in earnest where I live at about 03h00 this morning.

I had a taxi to take me to work for the day; the driver told me that the heavy rain was very localized: torrential in one place, non-existent a kilometre away... Branches of trees littering the roads in some towns, other untouched. We saw one big branch pulled off a tree in Neuilly, but saw no other damage.

Chianti

Visit site
I don’t really have a choice. It’s either put one on or have her eaten alive and her rub herself raw

I feel your pain as mine's exactly the same - fly and midge magnet. He spends most of his time in the field shelter but it's still baking in there. Last night I put him in his very light weight fly rug - he should be in a sweetitch - went this morning and a fly had got under it and was really irritating him. Fields on the livery yard look like the desert. What worries me is that if we get another very wet winter they'll be no grass to hold the soil together and the mud will be worse than last year. If this is how having horses is going to be then I don't think I want to play anymore.

Sprat

Visit site
31°c here for most of the day (Shropshire).
To be fair, the horses seem fine, they are out 24/7 and barely seem to notice the thunder and lightning. We live near am army camp snd helicopter flight path so they are used to regular, loud noise I guess. Poor sods are being plagued by flies though ?
I detest this heat and humidity, I have Fibromyalgia so it sends my nerve ending insane...sensory overload.
We had an almighty storm here earlier this eve with water causing huge flash flooding ?

Interesting that you say that - I also have fibro and have been feeling rotten the last couple of days. Really sore and aching when I wake up which isn't usual for summertime. I wonder if the humidity has sent it into overdrive!

Julie Ole Girl

Visit site
There's me worrying about my two and pouring buckets of water on them, but no, they're sunbathing in the full sun most of the day (even though plenty of trees and shade) with an afternoin snooze in their shelter after a few cold beers... Er that's me I mean ??

Bernster

Visit site
So happy it’s been more bearable today! House is finally less like an oven. Had a storm at the yard but missed the rain during my lesson. Now back home and listening to it chucking it down outside. Now I understand why Finn seemed a bit reluctant to go back to the field!