How are your 2016 foals looking

Escada2004

Visit site
As in the title really, would be nice to see some photos of everyones foals in their winter woollies :) How are they coping with the weather and are yours out 24/7 or barn kept? In at night etc? This is my first foal so all very exciting for me and also not knowing what works and what doesnt! Hugo is at a fab yard though and they are experienced private breeders so he also has a foal friend to keep him company :) he struggled a little after weaning to keep his weight but has picked up now and im pleased with how he is looking. He is out in the day as long as the weather isnt too bad and they are stables at night. Can't wait to see what he will look like this summer after a few months on good Spring grass :) here are a couple of photos i took yesterday, he has't grown much yet but i dont want him to grow too quickly! He is only 7 1/2 months.

Looking forward to seeing your cute foal (well technically yearling) pics :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Crosshill Pacers

Visit site
No pics to hand but got my two out on Saturday to measure them (wintering in); one is 13'2hh and the other is 13hh, both 9 months old. The bigger of the two is fairly laid back at all times; the smaller one has moments of super-excitement and can't contain himself, but otherwise he is as laid back as his friend. Both stood quietly in the crossties to be measured and were good being led around the yard (with the dog pottering around).

I'm still calling them foals though. My brain hasn't caught up with the new year yet!

Escada2004

Visit site
How big are your foals expected to make? Mine is standing at about 13hh (i think as not measured him accurately) and expected to make approx 16hh?

Mine is very calm and laid back to and agree with you Crosshill Pacers, just can't call him a yearling yet, he still looks like a foal ;-)

Bec26, i clicked on the photo link but nothing comes up :-(

Bec26

Visit site
Its the first time I have tried to upload a photo but Ive obviously done something wrong :(. You should be able to view the photo in my albums
He is expected to make 16hh - his dad is 16hh P R E and mum is 16.1 ISH X ID

Escada2004

Visit site
Its the first time I have tried to upload a photo but Ive obviously done something wrong :(. You should be able to view the photo in my albums
He is expected to make 16hh - his dad is 16hh P R E and mum is 16.1 ISH X ID

thats good to know thanks, so hoping all on track re growth :)

No i still cant see the pic, did you copy the 2nd link and post it? It offered me two on my photo and i used the second one down?

paddi22

Visit site
i've a little standard bred / cob cross and shes a pure fluff ball at the moment. about 12.2 at the moment but think she will get tom14.2 like her mum.

ihatework

Visit site
Mine is a cutie fluff ball!

He came into the barn for a bit of handling a couple of weeks ago whilst the turnout herds had a juggle around, he'll be going back out in the main group soon once the final one of that one comes in.

I'm hoping he will make 16.2hh, not sure what he is at present! He's had a little growth spurt since that picture so not looking quite as rotund!

Last edited:

Asha

Visit site
As in the title really, would be nice to see some photos of everyones foals in their winter woollies :) How are they coping with the weather and are yours out 24/7 or barn kept? In at night etc? This is my first foal so all very exciting for me and also not knowing what works and what doesnt! Hugo is at a fab yard though and they are experienced private breeders so he also has a foal friend to keep him company :) he struggled a little after weaning to keep his weight but has picked up now and im pleased with how he is looking. He is out in the day as long as the weather isnt too bad and they are stables at night. Can't wait to see what he will look like this summer after a few months on good Spring grass :) here are a couple of photos i took yesterday, he has't grown much yet but i dont want him to grow too quickly! He is only 7 1/2 months.

Looking forward to seeing your cute foal (well technically yearling) pics :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mine is a cutie fluff ball!

He came into the barn for a bit of handling a couple of weeks ago whilst the turnout herds had a juggle around, he'll be going back out in the main group soon once the final one of that one comes in.

I'm hoping he will make 16.2hh, not sure what he is at present! He's had a little growth spurt since that picture so not looking quite as rotund!

Had to comment, you pair of lucky beggars . Stunning babies. Looking forward to the updates on these two over the coming years.

I've told my girl I want ones like this, I just know I'm going to get another chestnut filly !!

Equi

Visit site
Mines in full mammoth mode, i literally can't wait to see what she "actually" looks like come spring when it all gets whipped off. Shes out 24/7 and has just been a dream animal. She came out running and everything was perfect and she weaned in like a week and is able to be with her mother as part of the herd already with no further suckling. Shes just perfect. Not bad for my first attempt! Version 2.0 and 2.1 hopefully coming lol

Her only flaw is that i can tell she will have her mothers awful forlock (or lack there of..)

15590620_656238034560933_9019853515553002458_n.jpg

16298650_671100769741326_2886752693113148572_n.jpg

Escada2004

Visit site
Loving all the updates and photos, can't beat cute fluffy foal photos �� Asha it's your turn soon, can't wait to see lots of photos!! Ihatework - your foal is super, what's the breeding? And the cutest foal prize Def goes to equi ������

Crosshill Pacers

Visit site
How big are your foals expected to make?

Cliff (currently 13'2hh) is an unknown quantity as his mother had a tendency to produce short, deep-girthed horses. Cliff's half-sister, Jenny, was 15'3hh at 2 and looked to be continuing to grow (her sire was 16'2hh). Cliff's sire is around 15'3hh. His dam, Beachgirl is around 15'1hh. I'd expect him to make 15'3hh looking at him and comparing him to previous foals we've bred.

Phil (currently 13hh) had a major setback at 4 weeks when he nearly died and it did check his growth, but as I've said to OH all along his legs are there so the rest will come with time. His dam is 16'1hh and sire is 15'3hh/16hh. I think he'll comfortably make 15'3hh but a totally different type to Cliff.

Custard Cream

Visit site
Percy is out with a 2yr old connie as a friend and has maintained a very healthy weight! Didn't glance back when mare was taken away and is living out in all weathers - hardy little soul. Thinking of getting his knackers off soon and then I might more him back in with the mare (purely for ease for me, I know this isn't the 'done' thing, but am struggling at present with new baby and he's not getting as much handling as I would like him to have).

popsdosh

Visit site
Percy is out with a 2yr old connie as a friend and has maintained a very healthy weight! Didn't glance back when mare was taken away and is living out in all weathers - hardy little soul. Thinking of getting his knackers off soon and then I might more him back in with the mare (purely for ease for me, I know this isn't the 'done' thing, but am struggling at present with new baby and he's not getting as much handling as I would like him to have).

You will be fine!

popsdosh

Visit site
If you want real scruffy I am not proud this is my guy born end of May .16.3 mum just behind lol think hes eaten a couple of shetlands. They are only on haylage!

attachment.php

JJS

Visit site
If you want real scruffy I am not proud this is my guy born end of May .16.3 mum just behind lol think hes eaten a couple of shetlands. They are only on haylage!

attachment.php

He looks like he's going to be huge! How big are you expecting him to make?

popsdosh

Visit site
He looks like he's going to be huge! How big are you expecting him to make?

I doubt he will go over 17hh hes always been a size this was him day one ! They wont get pushed in any way from now!
attachment.php

She always does them really well her first one by Stedinger went 17.2