How atheletic should this horse be?

jayvee

Visit site
Murf is 16.2hh 7yo, out of a gypsy cob, sire's a clydesdale x ID. How atheletic do you think he should be looking at him?

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/jayvee_05/100_2480.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/jayvee_05/murphy.jpg

Hope I have done this right????
blush.gif

kirstyfk

Visit site
He looks like he is fairly athletic but its quite hard to judge when he is standing still. It looks like his back end is a little week which could restrict him. If you have any pics of him being ridden i would be easier.

Hes a nice sort. Can i ask why you are asking?

jayvee

Visit site
Ladylisa, you are very right in your comment. And Kirsty i agree with you looking weak behind.
I am just trying to get a feel as to what you would expect of him work wise. He belongs to my OH as a first horse and has excelled in that department.
Only gripe is he lacks stamina. Yet full of enthusiasm and would give anything a go. We don't expect him to gallop llike a TB but he does run out of steam very quick.
Have got issues with breathing as mentioned in a previous post, and on the case to finding out why.
But put that aside for now, I am just finding out your views of what you think he is capable of. (as a normal healthy horse). x

Tia

Visit site
Well if he had been shown to me before he had his feathers and his mane clipped off - I'd have said "not very".

He has been transformed by clipping him (although it does show his feet to be enormous!), however he still looks incredibly weak at the back end.....typical bottom of a clyde!

jayvee

Visit site

KateStartin

Visit site
Love the pics, especially the one of him cantering, he looks fab!

How althletic a horse is has a lot to do with muscle type as well as conformation and movement. This horses breeding would suggest he has a predominance of slow twitch muscle which is going to mean slow, power type work is easy for him but fast work and that involving explosive energy (ie jumping) is harder for him to sustain.
Hope this helps!

jayvee

Visit site
Thanks Tate, I understand what you say and agree.
I ask cos to me he looks like he could give a tad more than he actually does. Have spent the summer 'feeding him up' rather than feeding for energy.
He looks leggy to me and he certainly covers the ground! And his 'head' says.. 'I can do that' and really gives it a go. I feel the breathing is letting him down. But like I say is being looked into.

MissDeMeena

Visit site
Weak behind is the wrong word, as i don't think he is.. but he certainly doesn't have the back end to match the front end, if you get what i mean...

As for how atheletic he "should" be, that's up to the individual horse, NOT what what bread it is!!!!!!!!
A friend of mine did the YR teams (eventing), on a horse that was HALF Clydesdale, she also took the same horse round Burghley CCI**** OLD FORMAT (ie still had the roads and tracks and chase).. The only reason she got time faults, was because she couldn't hold him, he was sooo strong, she spent the whole time trying to slow down/set up for each fence (therefore waisting time)

In the last pic you posted of him.. he looks atheletic enough... if he's struggling in his wind (breathing) then maybe you should question how fit you're getting him and what you're feeding him... if he's struggling with the speed aspect, then to an extent getting him fitter might help, but not that much, that's just up to him...

Chex

Visit site
I agree, he seems to have the wromg back end for his front end lol. My mw cob is athletic (in his younger days!) he could jump near 5ft, is still super fast and has amazing power, scope and sprinting ability. I think its just him, more than his breeding.

Agent XXX999

Visit site
He looks much better tacked up than he does without, and (just a point) he sounds like an ideal first horse for your OH, you dont want anything too advanced for him to loose his bottle on. Looks like he takes everything in his stride. How big is he?

Irishcobs

Visit site
He may not be fast but I bet he can cover the ground. My mare was very lazy, run down, under-muscled when I got her, but a year on she can non half cover the ground and is a lot faster than when I first got her. I took her out with my boss on the 2* event horse a few months ago and she kept up with him, ok we were only doing fitting canter work so not going flat out, be she was only showing this year and he was in the middle of his eventing season.
They only thing she can't do is jump very high, 3ft absolute max as she is not build to do it.

jayvee

Visit site
Yes he is the most perfect first horse. Would look after yer granny if he had too. He has become more energetic over time, which is no bad thing, as OH is increasing in confidence with Murf.
And yes he certainly covers the ground. When I ride him it feels like you are not going very fast as has a big lollopy stride, when in fact you are!! (though not for long).
He is 16.2hh exactly.

GTs

Visit site
I just wanted to say he looks fabulous - just one of those horses you can have a ton of fun on, and always know you are safe.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
He does actually look very similar in build to Minstrel a horse we sold a couple of years ago. He looks a little underweight in the second pic so it can't be fat making him tired. I would try him on some different food, something slow release not oats or barley, and keep him as fit as you can. lunging a big horse like him in a pessoa produces impressive results especially muscle, so that would help too.
Make sure when he is ridden he carries himself and doesn't lean or pull, we used a myler high ported snaffle on Min and it made him light and responsive. Also ensure he is expected to go from a gentle aid not a kick. Often big horses like this sort of lollop along instead of working from behind, once they carry themselves correctly they are lighter and more enthusiastic.

jayvee

Visit site
Intresting point Henryhorn, He does 'lollop' yet not heavy on your hands and goes from a tap of the leg (we never boot him) but when tired does feel heavy footed at front. (know what I mean)?

Parkranger

Visit site
Once you get him working from behind and doing lots of hill work (if possible) he'll build up a little more on the back end.

I think he looks like an honest sort though - probably make a nice hunter when he's fit....