how big is ‘too big’?

whizdiz

New User
Visit site
hi all, im just coming in with a question/looking for opinions really — what is too big a size/height difference between horse and rider? obviously i understand this is very subjective and a bit of a ‘how long is a piece of string’ question, but anyway. i’ve been offered the ride on a horse who sounds quite ideal for what im looking for, but he’s 17.3 and quite big built (draft type — more body than legs really!), while im 5’3 or 5’4 roughly.

i have previously ridden 17-17.2 horses and quite enjoy them as i do like a big horse in general, but these have been more light draft/big bodied warmblood types as opposed to a bigger draft type horse. he is an absolute gentleman on the ground from everything i hear (both from owner and those i know who live nearby) but i am very conscious that i dont want to over-horse myself, quite literally! particularly as my previous loan was 15hh (though wide, and i ride various bigger 16-17h horses alongside)

really just looking for thoughts, experiences (good or bad), opinions, things to consider, advice for dealing with bigger horses, that kind of thing!

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Big horses need big everything; big stables, big tack, big rugs, big haynets, big shoes etc. Everything can be awkward and difficult. I would absolutely love to move my draft to another yard but there's nowhere else close by that combines all year round turnout, good hacking with massive stables so I'm stuck.

The pay off is that they (usually) have big loving, gentle hearts so they don't care if the riders leg doesn't really go much past the saddle flap. The size of the rider isn't the problem, it's the size of the compromises the rider needs to make to house and care for a bigger horse.

Some of the other drawbacks:
You need a huge mounting block
You need a small step to be able to tack them up.
You need a friend willing to jump off their sensibly sized horse, and get any gates because getting back on from the floor is almost impossible.
You need a good farrier
If it has feather you need the patience of a Saint in winter (picking out hooves while holding wet feather becomes less exciting with every cold wet day)
If it weighs more than 750kg you always need to buy two wormers.
If it weighs more than 800kg you need more than a 3.5t lorry for transport.

I love a big draft horse, a good one is worth it's weight in gold many times over but it isn't always easy.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Big horses need big everything; big stables, big tack, big rugs, big haynets, big shoes etc. Everything can be awkward and difficult. I would absolutely love to move my draft to another yard but there's nowhere else close by that combines all year round turnout, good hacking with massive stables so I'm stuck.

The pay off is that they (usually) have big loving, gentle hearts so they don't care if the riders leg doesn't really go much past the saddle flap. The size of the rider isn't the problem, it's the size of the compromises the rider needs to make to house and care for a bigger horse.

Some of the other drawbacks:
You need a huge mounting block
You need a small step to be able to tack them up.
You need a friend willing to jump off their sensibly sized horse, and get any gates because getting back on from the floor is almost impossible.
You need a good farrier
If it has feather you need the patience of a Saint in winter (picking out hooves while holding wet feather becomes less exciting with every cold wet day)
If it weighs more than 750kg you always need to buy two wormers.
If it weighs more than 800kg you need more than a 3.5t lorry for transport.

I love a big draft horse, a good one is worth it's weight in gold many times over but it isn't always easy.
But If OP has been offered the ride, rather than a loan, most of that detail won't concern her.
I used to have a Clydesdale mare that had been in a RS. She had been ridden sometimes by smaller riders and had got used to ignoring leg aids. We soon sorted that out though when she got used to a family home with appropriately sized riders.

ihatework

Visit site
In the context of if you were to go and buy something - then it’s far too big for a shorter, less experienced rider, to be able to ride effectively. Not to mention all the added logistical and financial implications.

To ride ad hoc for someone else, it’s less of a concern provided the horse is nice natured.

4Hoofed

Visit site
I would go and see the horse, the set up, and see how you find it.

I’m 5’3, have dodgy joints and a busted shoulder since last August. My riding horse is 18hh+, 940kg and 7’6 rugs.

It will be a great experience if they are well handled/schooled and owner can give you a hand. With the big boys I think it’s a case of confident handling. I’ve taught my lad to line up to anything I’m stood on to allow for mounting/grooming/rugging/tacking up. He mostly lowers his head for bridling, head collars, but these skills need maintaining!

But go for it! It’s great fun being in the altitude! Cars give you plenty of respect, but watch out of your hacking and don’t know the route you will be taking branches to the head/face.

P.forpony

Visit site
Best bet would be go and have a go and see how he feels.
Im 5'5 with really short body and arms but long thighs. My own is 16.1, but I quite often get to be crash test dummy when the bosses hunter hasn't been out in a while, he's a full up 17.3 big lad!
He can be a complete thug but he's also one of my absolute favorite rides, and is very sweet when no-one else is looking!
As mentioned ducking trees can be an issue, but the bonus is the jumps all look much smaller.