How big...

Bossdog

Visit site
I'm 5.6" and weigh just under 11 st, what size horse should I be riding? I'm about to start lessons again after a very long break and I'm curious about what height would be suitable. I feel really huge and clumsy on 15hh and just generally uncomfortable. I wouldn't say I was a novice rider but I'm by no means experienced. I went to see a ABRS school where the biggest horse was a very lanky 15.2hh thoroughbred and I shuddered at teh thought of getting on him! With all these letters in H&H I'm panicking about being too big!

Love Jules xx

Weezy

Visit site
I am 5ft11ish and my horse is 15-1 at a push - not a cob either, he is PRE Andalucian - I weigh a bit more than you too - I think I look top heavy on him (he takes my leg very well) but no one else does! He is the smallest horse I have had since moving off ponies a VERY long time ago!!!

Blizzard

Visit site
Im 5ft 5 and my mare is a 14.2hh welsh sec D, in the piccys below, and she is just the right size for me becuase she is broad.

Im used to 16hh plus horses and to be honest I thought she woudl be too small, but my 6ft 4 13stone boyfriend also rides her and even he doesnt look that big on her!

ts about wha you and the horse feel comfortable with, if you dont feel comfy on a smaller horse, get something 16hh plus.

We are in the process of buying a 16.3hh hunter and I feel great on him, I think its more about the horse than their size, how balanced you are as a rider and how balanced the horse is.

GinaB

Visit site
I'm 5'6'', and I go between a 16.1 and a 14.2! I imagine I look quite small on the 16.1 as I have a light build and according to my instructor I look fine on the 14.2

not_with_it

Visit site
I would say its more about what would take up your leg rather than height. I little stocky horse would probably take up more of your leg than a slender tall horse.

Im 5'5'' and Gin is 15.2. She takes up my leg more than my instructors 17.1 amd I dont look out of place on any of them.

moodymare1987

Visit site
im nearly 6 ft and i ride a 16.2 although he rides like a 17hh i could get on something the same height as mine but a bit more slender and look ridiculous. it depends what kind of build they are. as you could get on a 15.2 tb and look a state but get on a 14.3 cob type and look fine it does vary as the others say.

Onyxia

Visit site
IMHO it doesnt matter what you look like as long as the horse can carry your weight and you feel comftable on it.
If you are more happy with a pony then ask fro a pony.