How can I find a Cleveland Bay?

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
Since I lost my half CB mare I have wanted to get myself a purebred Cleveland Bay. It was my medium-term plan as I had my homebred gelding (out of that mare by a TB sire) who was capable of everything I needed. However, I lost him suddenly a few days ago and I am very quickly realising that horselessness is not something I can live with for very long.

So, I know there are a few CB lovers amongst you in HHOland and I'm looking for some advice regarding how to locate a suitable horse, please. This may sound dumb, but my previous horses have either found me or I've bred one so I've never really gone horse shopping before! I'd quite like a youngster to start myself as I love that aspect, but my major problem is where to start looking.

I'm on the south coast in Hampshire, so the nearest breeder on CBHS is Folds Farm, Fordingbridge. Is that a good place to start? Sorry this post is a bit wet, but as I say, I'm in unknown territory and still a bit shellshocked at losing my beautiful homebred boy.

quirky

Visit site
Is it vallin who breeds them? Not even sure if she/he is in this country.
Try looking at their previous posts.
I'm sure somebody more helpful will turn up soon :eek:

Foxford

Visit site
Try phoning the society or looking on their website - they used to have horses for sale on there. I bought my horse from a CB breeder but she's given up now. :(

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I have seen them for sale every nown and again on the normal horse for sale sites, so it would be worth going through them and searching for that breed. There was a smart purebred filly on Preloved, but the ad has gone now.

ETA. I would buy from the breeder if possible, so your idea of contacting your most local stud is a very good one. :)

KSR

Visit site
Actually my friend is selling her youngster due to unforeseen circumstances.. Full up, well bred, ready to back this year..

If you PM me exactly what you are looking for, I will tell you what I know is available..

There are often adverts for sale on the CBHS website too, and there are a few Facebook owner/breeder groups..

Again, PM me if interested and I will add you to the groups..

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
Thanks for your replies, folks. There is a 3yo filly on the CBHS website but (a) Cheshire seems an awful long way from here and (b) I am very unlikely to breed any more so I wouldn't want to take good stock out of the gene pool. Do I deserve a slap for one or both of those thoughts?

I will have a careful think and get on with things, I really appreciate the food for thought you have all provided and the fact that you have taken the time to reply. Thanks.

Chestnutmare

Visit site
Look on the society website too I have to agree with you I keep an eye out for cb or x as my old boy was cb x and my horse of a lifetime
Best of luck in finding a new friend and sorry to hear of your loss too

Sunshine

Visit site
Whippletree in Cheshire are selling up, which will be the 3yr old on the CBHS site, so it might be worth a trip up north as you could do a tour in a weekend and see several :) I know of another one locally for sale but it has the dental problems where her teeth have gaps in between, although she is purebred. Your best option is to contact the CBHS and a local stud or owner as they may know of something on the grapevine.

Adina

Visit site
With your location Folds Farm is a good place to start. I don't think they have anything for sale but will know who has. Also try Cholderton stud who often have youngstock for sale.

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
Thank you so much for your help and good wishes. You've given me quite a bit to work with. I'm still feeling a bit sorry for myself so hopefully this will give me the kick up the bum that I need.

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
At this early stage in my horse hunt I must admit that North Yorkshire is a bit far, but thanks for the thought. I don't know how tough it will be to find what I'm looking for, though.

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
That's kind, but at this stage I've got my heart set on a pure bred. Mind you, it's early days and I'm new to this horse hunting lark.