How can I keep flies out of a wound?

scruffyponies

Visit site
If at all possible, I use a nappy (or half a nappy) to cover a wound. Sometimes I safety pin it to a vest or travel boot to get it where I want it. They're cheap, disposable, and keep a wound clean, moist and with enough air around it to heal well.

Annagain

Visit site
Filtabac cream is amazing stuff. It's antibacterial, antiseptic, a sun block and acts like a second skin so really good for helping wounds to heal as well as keeping flies off them. It's really thick and gloopy so it really stays put too.

onemoretime

Visit site
I have had success in the past using a piece of clean cotton fabric and glueing it onto the hair around a wound using Copydex rubber-based glue. It holds well yet peels off easily and anything left can be rubbed off. Obviously you have to make sure you have enough margin for the glue to not touch the wound. The fabric prevents flies but is also breatheable

Ive used electrical tape to hold a dressing place. As long as you make sure the tape is stuck to the tape it worked very well.

Nasicus

Visit site
I like Equisalve F.R. Water resistant and has citronella in it to repel flies. Used it when one of mine had sarcoids lasered off during summer, cleaned the wounds, slapped it on, turned her out for the night, repeat in the morning when she came in.
Used it since for various cuts and scrapes, good stuff!

Regandal

Visit site
Neem oil. Anti bacterial, fungal and viral, but very gentle on skin. Healed a chest wound on my horse in record time.
Wounds that are kept moist heal faster.

ponios

Visit site
Filtabac is great but something even better is The Carr & Day & Martin Protection Plus Salve. It is such a useful product to have in the tack room, I use it all the time for my accident prone horse and it is brilliant, also use it for mud fever in the winter. Its antibacterial and has citronella in it. It stays on really well- the consistency is like Vaseline.

L&M

Visit site
Silver spray - fab stuff and if you apply once daily creates a great barrier.

My little chap spooked and skidded on a gravel track and broke both knees, within a few days he was turned back out with spray on his knees and kept the flies off as acts like a flexible plaster.

Helped heal them great too.....

lamlyn2012

Visit site
Hopefully you have diluted the hibiscrub? In any event it should only be used in the early stages as it actually delays healing. Salt water , diluted 1 teaspoon in 1 pint warm water, is good for cleaning wounds. Flamazine is a silver ointment and good for healing. Battles summer fly cream is antibacterial and good for keeping flies off. I would never use sudocrem, it's too heavy and oily and blocks the hair follicles, in my opinion.

Visit site
Hopefully you have diluted the hibiscrub? In any event it should only be used in the early stages as it actually delays healing. Salt water , diluted 1 teaspoon in 1 pint warm water, is good for cleaning wounds. Flamazine is a silver ointment and good for healing. Battles summer fly cream is antibacterial and good for keeping flies off. I would never use sudocrem, it's too heavy and oily and blocks the hair follicles, in my opinion.

Yes it was diluted. Thank you everyone for all of the replies! I stopped hibiscrubbing it and it seems to have calmed down now and is not oozing as much. I am applying Leovet silver cream twice per day. Just wondering at what stage I should switch to spray and let it dry up more? Cut is two weeks old on Thursday.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Yes it was diluted. Thank you everyone for all of the replies! I stopped hibiscrubbing it and it seems to have calmed down now and is not oozing as much. I am applying Leovet silver cream twice per day. Just wondering at what stage I should switch to spray and let it dry up more? Cut is two weeks old on Thursday.

I personally would do it now I think the spray is so much better, I think most creams in general for most wounds just don't work as well and make the skin too soft so it then doesn't heal as quick.

Pinkvboots

Visit site

I agree about sudocrem I think it's too thick and you can't wash it off so it just sits on the wound and hair horrible stuff.

SusieT

Visit site
Ask your vet. Letting wounds dry up is not recommended anymore. neither is applying weird and wonderful potions.