How can I tell somebody more experienced that they are wrong?

Hanz

Visit site
When I ask for trot on my geldin Scribbles he does this hyper-active dancey thing, and It has taken me a yesr to discover the best way to settle him down is to just ride him out of it then he is fine.
My friend sometimes pops on hjim and walks him around to help him get used to other riders and was offered a lesson from somebody on my yard - she isn't an instructor but thought she could give sime advice. I said this was fine and told her about the best way to handle him. The lady said that she was only going tio run next to Scribbles as my friend already knows what to do as I have taught her.
I went to watch this lesson today and got there halfway through, and found that the lady was telling my friend to pull Scribbles into a halt everytime he started "dancing". This was working him up even more and I politely sugested her just running next to my friend so she could "ride it out". The lady said "no, because that isnt teaching him anything" WHAT?! He has improved more in the past few months than he has all year since i started just ignoring his fits when we ride! How can I tell ehr that I know what is best for my own horse and I know that just halting him confuses him and just gets him worked up? I dont want to sound like a know-it-all to her though as she DOEShave more experience with horses than me, just not young and crazy ones. Help me!

vicster

Visit site
I have always been told that when horses are behaving naughty that they need to be ridden through it and at the end of the day you knwo your horse better than anyone so if you don't like what you see make sure they know about it. The more you take no notice of their strange behaviour the less they do it i find. GOOD LUCK
smile.gif

Hanz

Visit site
Thanks I just dont want to sound snooty to this woman as she is really noce, just is a bit set ion her ways on how to handle my horse!

MrsMagoo

Visit site
don't let them use your horse...then they may get the hint!!
tongue.gif
I do hate it when other people get on your horse and think they know it better then u...ergh...Ok given, if some internatioanl rider was to jump on, then i might let them of lol..pmsl

vicster

Visit site
Eveyone handles horses in their own little way but you just need to be polite and explain that he has been getting better through the way you have been dealing with him so would prefer not to take a step backwards just say you would prefer him working your way
smile.gif

Hanz

Visit site
LOL yeah, I DO want my friend to keep riding him and I DO want her to improve, but now the lady wants to teach her every day now that i is school-holsm(she is a primary teacher). My friend is up for this and I have told her it will ruin it for me. So how on earth can I say to her "hey your advice is wrong, i know better so you dont have to teach her anymore?" bit harsh and im a nice girl really...

the watcher

Visit site
Difficult one. You are happy that by ignoring your horse's naughtiness that you have taken steps forward, this lady thinks that in fact the horse should learn to do the transition when asked and not mess about. I am kind of with her, BUT not while trying to teach a novice to ride at the same time.
I would also be checking back/teeth/saddle, all the usual stuff to get to the bottom of why the horse does this every time.

MrsMagoo

Visit site
other people having lessons on your horse can totally ruin all the work you have been struggling to do with him/her, i'd be inclined to say she can have a lesson once a week but not all week...what about u riding??
A girl on my yard has a very talented/mad horse lol and shes got it going perfectly, but recently someone else at the yard has been riding her and having lessons. Ok, shes not ruined, but has changed way of going i.e become heavy on your hands etc where as b4 she was very light and responsive.

HeatherAda

Visit site
I would say that at the end of the day the horse is yours - so the bottom line is you are in charge. You can keep it friendly, perhaps say I appreciate what you are saying but I have decided this is how I want to deal with it.

Hanz

Visit site
OK tahnks everyone i will take that in mind.

MrMagoo - I thought that the halting method would work to but it just seems to confuse him and just gets him agitated and more hyper...as he just wants to go and dosent want to be told to move up a step then stopped, he dosent really understand how to trot in the school as we think he hasnt done it before. Its just i KNOW that the method i am using now is making him better - i appreciate all advice that comes my way - telling me i am doing something right or wrong, but the lady is adamant that she knows best!

Never mind I will talk to her next time I see her...maybe I can show her how my method works and how hers works him up? I am not saying that the other way is wrong, it is just not the way to go for Scrobbles.

Thanks everyone! x

Peanot

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
don't let them use your horse...then they may get the hint!!
tongue.gif
I do hate it when other people get on your horse and think they know it better then u...ergh...Ok given, if some internatioanl rider was to jump on, then i might let them of lol..pmsl

[/ QUOTE ]

This is funny as there is a girl at our yard who is a know it all. She knows a lot about horses and their health etc but when it comes to riding, she has a 15hh arab X who is ridden in walk for a week every 3-4 months, before she says that he isn`t `right`, so stops riding him and spends hours with the crystals, and she also has a young 18 mth gelding. She is always telling people how to ride and when she tried to tell me that I should do this and that, I told her that she should get on and show me what she meant.
smirk.gif

My horse started to walk on and within seconds was happily cantering around the arena, with said girl asking how to stop.
This is a girl who states that she rides `classical` and rides with her weight and my horse is very responsive to weight.
I told her to use her weight as Rox was in a lovely light canter in an outline but girl doesn`t ride. When I have since offered her a ride, she has politely declined.
confused.gif
grin.gif

This also happened with same girl with another friends horse. She was calling friends riding to bits saying that the horse will never be any better with how friend was riding, so friend told her to get her hat....
She couldn`t keep horse in a straight line or a circle, horse completely took the p*ss. And I had great delight in pointing this out.
I have had 2 other people try and ride my horse both with negative results although my horse is actually very nicely schooled and very responsive, with me.
However my instructor is an ex-international eventer and he has sat on her and he was enjoying it so much that he just rode her for half an hour, and was completely showing off!
tongue.gif

It is very satisfying to prove a know it all wrong.
grin.gif

But so sorry for waffling on and going off the subject, but if I were you, don`t let her on your horse. She could`ve easily taken your horse right back to where you started- months ago- then you would end up being peed off with yourself and probably hating your friends too. You pay for your horse and everything that happens to your horse is down to you. Stand firm.......

Hanz

Visit site
Thanks just, it isnt the jockey that im going mad at. i actually WANT her to ride him, even if it is just a walk, its the lady's advice that will spoil him..

bhpride

Visit site
At the end of the day if he's only been improving you must be doing something right so keep doing what you're doing! Everyone has different opinions and different levels of experience - but this not dos not mean they're right!!

You know your horse and you've worked through this problem, you're the owner and you've done the work, don't let someone undo it because they're 'more experienced'!!!!