How can you keep white jodhpurs white?

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Everything is in the title, really.

I have a pair that I bought white, and they stayed white for a full twelve seconds after I put them on. I don't compete, yet, so it's not really a problem that they are a bit grubby here and there; I weat them when the sun is really strong, because they are cooler than darker coloured jodhpurs.

But if I start entering club competitions next year or the year after, I might want to have a pair of "fighting trousers" in nice, clean white.

So....

After reading this old thread and this other slightly less old one, I wonder if there is any other advice. I've been wondering if buying a new pair and treating them with Scotchguard (or similar) before wearing them would make them easier to clean.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
wear cream instead ;)

I only put my show jods on when the horse is ready and all I need to do is get on. And then I change back into my normal yard clothes as soon as I'm untacked. That way they don't get too grubby... wash after each wearing and don't be too precious about normal stains from the saddle :) Friend wears tracksuit bottoms over the top instead but I hate that esp if it's hot.

starfish8

Visit site
Never take them out of the packet?!

Waterproof trousers over the top would be my serious suggestion, until you're literally ready to put foot in stirrup. And even then wash with copious amounts of Vanish.

Floxie

Visit site
Fighting trousers! I'm going to call mine that now :)

Mine are beyond repair, I think there's towbar grease on them :( I console myself with the thought that it's not really obvious from a distance. I'd replace them, but I'd almost certainly make the same mess of the new ones, and I'm not made of money.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have fair weather white ones and rain white ones, that do not stay white. Once saddle dye has leaked it is nigh on impossible to get out.

I have some sandy coloured ones, try Mark Todd breeches, easy to wash and quite cotton-ey. Also, they do not outline the male rider too, ahem, much ;-)

JulesRules

Visit site
Another vote for "just don't have white ones"😂😂😂

Mine are a shade of beige and look very smart.

I used to waitress as a student and my uniform had a little white apron. Only way to keep it white was to soak it in a thin bleach solution overnight (a dash of cheap thin bleach in a bucket of water) before chucking in the wash.

If you must have white I'd try bleaching.