How cold is too cold?

be positive

Visit site
Over here it is very rarely that cold, too wet and windy more likely, last Saturday was a "get the essentials done then inside to watch the racing day". Your low temperatures are hard to imagine although I prefer the dry cold and it looks very pretty.

paddi22

Visit site
wind, rain, cold, sleet, ice - if there's more one of those factors present, i call it quits. Don't mind riding in rain, but rain + heavy wind tips me over into stay-home territory.

Fransurrey

Visit site
It's more related to how depressed I am. I can ride in storms, minus temps and so on, one day and feel world beating. Next day I can crash and it'll be slight drizzle, so I say fook that! If both ponies are huddled in the shelter, though, it's a fair indication that getting them going will be akin to swimming in treacle!

Casey76

Visit site
As per FfionWinnie!

I was riding in -20C the past couple of years. It was bright and shiny and fabulous.

This winter has been awful, wet and windy - either one I and just about cope with, but when together they make me scuttle inside with a mug of coffee!

Mind you, on Tuesday I duffed it when the wind was gusting to 85kmph too! I could barely walk upright, and riding in that would have been no fun for anyone.

Merrymoles

Visit site
If it's safe footing for the horse/pony then i go out. I draw the line in starting out into torrential stuff or pea souper fog, but otherwise we go out as much as possible :)

Same for me with the same exceptions. It's never that cold in northern England, although one of our bridleways is pretty exposed and the wind feels like it comes in from Siberia - which it probably does as I don't think there's anything between us!

However, to quote Billy Connolly (I think), there's no such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothing! There are times when I resemble a Michelin man... ;)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I will be too cold shortly, whilst my farrier will be pouring sweat.

Adorable Alice will decide foot trimming is all a bit pointless and jiggle around, Ted The Twit will have concentration failure and Dim Tim will sit on the farrier and S H one T in his tool box. I will be standing there mortally embarrassed, frozen stiff trying to work out how to suggest we also trim the old lad and remove a set from my cob who is not going hunting tomorrow.

I will take chocolate, that usually helps !

FfionWinnie

Visit site
If it's slippy on the roads I ride in the field. That's the only time I actually can ride in the fields. There's always a way round it. If it's foggy I box to an off road hacking place. If it's high winds we just bash on. Avoiding highly treed areas, which is not easy, but that's life.

I have never once come home thinking I didn't enjoy that. Every ride improves my mood and life. Of course that's because I have cobs not weathershyidiots (jumps on cob and runs away to hide!)

oldie48

Visit site
If I've got a lesson booked I'll always ride as long as the surface is OK, unless of course the trainer cancels. I won't ride on icy roads or in fog but I'll ride in the wind and in the rain if I feel like it. I've reached an age where I allow myself to be a bit "kinder" to myself, I've nothing to prove to anyone and if it's pouring with rain or howling a gale, sometimes I just feel like staying in the warm!

Apercrumbie

Visit site
I don't mind the cold as long as the roads are free of ice (we don't have an arena/any off road hacking). I will admit to being a wuss about heavy rain and I won't ride in very high winds for safety reasons.

mytwofriends

Visit site
Nowadays I'm a serial fair weather rider. I've done my share of going out in all weathers, including living in New England where it's seriously frigid in winter (then seriously hot in summer.)

Now, though, it needs to be dry, and preferably sunny, to entice my saddle onto my horse. I don't care, nor does he. I'm over 50, he's 18. We're happy with that arrangement!