how did you know you were ready?

my bfg

Visit site
My first own horse, my beautiful girl, was put to sleep two weeks ago, as among other medical issues her arthritis had advanced to the point I could no longer keep her pain free.
I will honestly miss her forever, she was my world, but i will admit I'm completely lost without a horse to care for, eight years of looking after my girl at least twice a day, everyday, came to a complete stop. I really don't understand what I'm meant to do with the time when I feel i should be down the yard
I'm starting work over an hour early each day as I still get up at the same time, but its when I get home at night I'm really lost at what to do. I've been looking after a friends horse whilst she was away and although I would always look after another horse as if it was my own, I miss the bond of having my own.
I knew my girl inside and out, I knew her quirks, her issues and loved every second of the time we spent together. I hated seeing other people chuck their horse in a stable and rush off as the time I spent with my girl was so precious to me.
I know she will be iraplacable, I may never achieve such a bond with another horse but I am willing to try.
I guess my question is when did you feel ready to try again?

Last edited:

Orson Cart

Visit site
For every single person it is different. It sounds as though having another horse would bring calm and a sense of purpose back to your life for you. There's no right or wrong time to look for another horse ... But I think when the pining for having a bond of your own is there the only way to satiate that is to get back onto the market. Good luck and I'm very sorry for the loss of your lovely girl, xxx

lornaA

Visit site
There is no right or wrong answer. Personally I lost my mare Megan 2 years ago. I can honestly say Ioved her to the moon and back but the hole she left in my life was so huge that I just felt I had 2 fill it relatively quickly so 2 months later I bought Skye against advice of many. It didn't stop me missing Megan but it did fill the big empty hole that she had left in my life. I think so long as you don't expect the new one to just slot in as a replacement it's fine just remember they are all individuals.

Theocat

Visit site
I was the same - I felt absolutely lost. I started looking within a couple of weeks, with every intention of taking my time, but I had a new head over the door in five weeks.

She is in no way a replacement, but there is a massive void when you lose one that nothing else can fill. I was miserable without a horse, and not just because of the sadness of the loss.

McFluff

Visit site
So sorry to hear of your loss.
Like everyone else, I think it is such a personal thing. Me? I lasted a week before another found me. Still miss my first girl, but human hearts are amazing, and I found that I quickly fell for my new girlie.

Bertolie

Visit site
I lost my first horse to cancer last year after 8 years of owning him. I was heartbroken but found myself longing for another horse. 3 weeks later i was the owner of a young mare. I miss my boy very much and always will but I felt I needed to have another horse in my life.

rachm12

Visit site
Everyone is different and you know yourself what you need. Don't let anyone's opinions put you off doing what is right for you, only you know what is right for you. I had my boy put to sleep a few years ago due to reoccurring lameness. When I retired him I started riding a friends horse who she didn't have time to ride. 3 weeks after my boy was PTS I bought him. As the others have said it didn't stop me missing my boy but it helped me to heal and move on. It took me a long time to stop pining for my boy but it got easier and yes I still miss him. There will be another horse out there for you to help fill the void that's left and a horse that needs another partner and friend to give them love and attention.

hairycob

Visit site
I lost my horse suddenly to atypical myopathy 2 years ago. I knew straight away that I needed another. As it turned out my son's horse, HP, also got it but survived and in the end it was his horse we replaced and I now ride HP. If HP hadn't been ill. I would have waited (well tried to) a few weeks until after my holiday. I still miss Jason, as I still miss my first horse. Guess my heart has more holes than a Swiss cheese.

Spottyappy

Visit site
As the others said, everyone is individual. No right or wrong.
I lost my home bred boy to colic / cancer 4 years ago. I went looking for another one within a week as although we had other horses, I missed the hole he left too much. Found my mare within 3 weeks, and brought her home at the 4th week.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
One year, three months and I'm still not sure I'm ready.

I've found a lovely horse to ride for a lady who is recovering from surgery. I'm hoping that by the time she is able to ride full time, I'll be ready to buy again.