how did you know you'd bonded with your horse?

Parkranger

Visit site
I always thought I may have but tonight I had to turn the boy into our sandschool while my parents helped me put the rubber matting in his stable....I heard fireworks go off and saw him trotting about and getting het up so walked down to see him. My mum tried holding him but he was having none of it, being very naughty and prancing. I walked up to him told him to stop being a dickhead and just stood with him(in the pouring bloody rain)

He wouldn't take his eye off me and just kept checking I was there - went off to set up trotting poles for tomorrow morning and he screamed at me to come back!

Bless him - must be love
grin.gif

So when did you know?

4whitesocks

Visit site
When I had finished grooming and was tacking up - going round from one side to the other doing the girth and stopped to give him a scratch between the eyes....he proceeded to pop his head on my shoulder and rest it there for a good five minutes while I got all gooey.....

Tia

Visit site
I generally know when I go to view them. It's always an immediate thing and I wouldn't buy one who didn't do whatever it is they do. There is not ever one specific thing for me - it's just the whole aura.

beaconhorse

Visit site
how sweet!! I knew when he started to listen to me in scary situations and stopped napping. Also calling to me when I came back, especially when I had only gone around the corner to get something lol.
Another good one for me is when jumping, a couple of times he has got it wrong and crashed into a jump head right down, as I shot up his neck, he throws his head up really fast to save me...........now thats love bless him

Agent XXX999

Visit site
Get where Tia is coming from, I know what horses suit me and what horses dont...just get a vibe fom the second I see them...

However I know mine know I'm mum - one doesnt like anyone else and will pretend to be vicious...the others know I am coming and all talk to me when I am on the yard...not whinneys, just that low grumble they do....it doesnt stop all day (very cute)

RachelB

Visit site
There was never a definite point when I knew, but I do know now - Maiden knows exactly who I am and knows when my car comes into the yard, she watches me when I ride my friend's horse, and nickers at me all the time. It's usually to do with food, but just occasionally she'll get all soppy on me! Aww I love my pony!

filly190

Visit site
I think its down to trust and respect and from what you have said you horse sees you as his pack leader and someone to turn to, to say its ok.

If you watch them out in the fields they usually follow the lead of the pack leader and settle when he does.

loopeepee

Visit site
My friend at the yard told me this morning that when she took her horse out to the sandschool to lead him round last night (he has injured his back slightly). She lead him round, and then unclipped his lead and put it down. She then walked off and he followed her, left right, circles, over trotting poles. If she stopped, he stopped etc etc.

I was like, awwwww
smile.gif

equibabe20

Visit site
My boy follows me everywhere when loose in the school and most of the time when Im out in the field doing stuff, also when my friend rides him he becomes very nappy and refuses to leave where ever Im standing! Great for me but not so good for my friend lol! He also calls to me everytime i walk out of sight then come back!

ilvpippa

Visit site
Connie always puts her head on my shoulders
smile.gif
when im outside her stable and starts nibbleing my shoulder lol. I love her sommuch she loves to be scrached between her eyes and falls asleep. Another thing is when i go into her stable to say hello she stands by the door so i cant get out again ( this might be my imagination) and i sit in her stable and she lies down next to me and puts her head on my legs
smile.gif
:)

pagancluf

Visit site
When he races down the field to your voice only, and nickers in the process, and when you turn him back out and he doesn't leave the gate until you are half way down the driveway....(keep telling myself he loves me - but it may be to do with carrots in my pocket - ho hum!)

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
when my boy biffed me and nearly knocked me flying, I knew we'd bonded!

He is known as Victor meldrew on the yard because unless he is being ridden or he is in his stable being left alone he is a grumpy soul!

Oaksflight

Visit site
He was a bit of a nervous wreck when I got him, well complete, and I guess when he started to settle when I was near him rather than rearing at anything that scared him, like he used to. He still gets nervous at vets and new environments, but we're getting there.