How do horses .....

gingerarab

Visit site
escape from rugs ???

Found my mare who is blanket clipped minus her rug tonight, after a hunt round the field in the pitch black I found the rug with all its straps including the full neck still done up !

She has never done this before and I am of the opinion that it was a well fitted rug .

How do they wriggle out of them ???

Holzdweaver

Visit site
Its been very windy so its probably blown up over her back and shes just backed out of it. Saw a horse do it once, by the time id got to him to help, it was on the floor, inside out with all straps done up. :)

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
If mine is too hot he will grasp the rug on the left shoulder and work it forwards, over his head. If he pulls it hard enough the back strap will come up and over his back.

He has several rugs with designer shapes on the left shoulder, and I now use less rugs!

The rugs end up the right way round, all straps intact.

meesha

Visit site
They can get them off if you have a filet string on back but if you use 2 leg straps they should stay put. Couple weeks ago saw horse in field with rug hanging on floor but still attached round neck, removed it by undoing neck straps and then had to free poor horses foot as it had it caught up in the rug!

Jo1987

Visit site
My clipped out cob wriggled out of his a few weeks ago on a cold rainy night, neck straps, front straps, tummy straps and leg straps all still done up and rug completely undamaged.
No idea how he did it, and hope he never does it again!

Cowpony

Visit site
Mine did it a couple of weeks ago. She'd managed to snap a leg strap, which is the only way I could possibly see that she could have got out of it. I've replaced the strap and that seems to have done the trick...until she snaps another one.

flirtygerty

Visit site
I've seen my rug hating TB do this and still can't explain it, he grabbed the front, next thing I saw was him stepping out of it, all catches done up, including the neck, it was a fly rug, as I say, still can't explain it