How do I get into competing etc?

bellsinheaven

Visit site
Stupid question (I am the Queen!) but how do I get into competing? I have never done it but my mare is gorgeous and did a lot beforehand....do I join a local PC and go with them? Do I just turn up? She mainly did XC and SJ and that's what I would like to do too....

Starzaan

Visit site
What kind of competing? How old are you? Would you like to affiliate or not? Where in the country are you?
If you give us a little more idea we should be able to help 😊

bellsinheaven

Visit site
What kind of competing? How old are you? Would you like to affiliate or not? Where in the country are you?
If you give us a little more idea we should be able to help 😊
Sorry, see I told you I was green! Unaffiliated for sure. I am 36 and am in Suffolk. I would like to do some XC and maybe some SJ....eventually! Really I just want to start by making it round in one piece! x

HEM

Visit site
Have a look locally to you and see if there are any unaffiliated shows that are near you, they're quite often held at training grounds. Normally you can enter on their website (assuming they have one) and if not I am sure there will be contact details to get you entered.

bonny

Visit site
Stupid question (I am the Queen!) but how do I get into competing? I have never done it but my mare is gorgeous and did a lot beforehand....do I join a local PC and go with them? Do I just turn up? She mainly did XC and SJ and that's what I would like to do too....
Now we know that you’re not really the queen ! Is there a riding club near you, that could be a good starting point, or a local equestrian centre, some of them hold weekly show jumping competitions over the winter ?

Chuffy99

Visit site
Go on the british riding club site and find the riding clubs in Suffolk/ North Essex. Most have clinics and competitions during the winter so ring secretaries and ask if you can go along possibly dismounted to have a look , you will probably be Area 14, depending where you are you have competitions at Topthorn, The Jays, poplar Park, Anvil Stud to name a few. Sadly you’re far too ancient for Pony Club. Do message me if you want more info

Starzaan

Visit site
So, you can’t join the pony club any more, but you can join a riding club. There are some lovely ones in Suffolk so it’ll be a good way to meet some horsey friends too!

Hollychops

Visit site
As others have said, a Riding Club is the way to start. They will offer training as well as holding shows/events. Ring the secretary and have a good chat. Look at others local to you as well as some focus more on one discipline than others. Start small if need be to take the pressure off and remember you are doing more than those stood watching. Above all, just enjoy it.

You will find you are not the minority at 36 and just starting out competing, nor will you be surrounded by the top class horses and riders. All sorts compete these days in all disciplines. There are lots of others like you and in the majority i have found other competitors friendly and made some really good friends. Good luck :)

be positive

Visit site
Sorry, see I told you I was green! Unaffiliated for sure. I am 36 and am in Suffolk. I would like to do some XC and maybe some SJ....eventually! Really I just want to start by making it round in one piece! x

I would say find a good instructor who will not only teach you the riding side of things but will also be able to help prepare you for some low level comps, you will probably be told to start with SJ rather than XC as it is more accessible, easier to train for, you can go to a clear round day/ morning and have as many goes as you want, within reason, to get you into the swing of things in a sensible manner, once you have done some CR you can move on to competitions and move on as and when you feel ready.

xc is something to aim for once you and the horse are comfortable together, have done plenty of schooling/ training over a variety of fences, a RC may run some training or even a camp you can go to which will help you prepare, don't forget there are numerous unaff ODE's that you could do if you really want to have an aim so some dressage comps along the way would also be a good idea.

sport horse

Visit site
Another saying jopin your local riding club. They will probably run instruction and you can then get all the advice from someone who knows you and your horse and can head you to suitable competitions to allow you to learn and progress as well as having fun and meeting new friends.

Good lcuk and let us know how you get on. Exciting times ahead.

J&S

Visit site
I haven't read all replies so not sure if any has said this: go and seek out your local equestrian centre and see if they have a schedule of events that are open to non liveries. Prior to the most convenient date/suitable low level competition see if you can book a lesson in the school or hire it for your use for an hour. Take a friend for back up and get the friend, or better still instructor, to put up a couple of small jumps so that you can get the feel of popping a jump in an arena and to see how your horse reacts under these circumstances. Give yourself every chance of a successful, stress free outing. I know people have said Riding Club, but there are "clubs" and "clubs", some are more welcoming than others, some can be very competitive, so ask around. You can always progress to higher levels when you have found your feet. (and hooves!).