How do i get into point to point?

lcharles

Visit site
As title really, after showjumping, for years and years i really fancy getting into point to point. When i was younger I wanted to do it, but my parents said it was too dangerous :mad: x So how does it work? Can i just buy a horse and enter?!

be positive

Visit site
As title really, after showjumping, for years and years i really fancy getting into point to point. When i was younger I wanted to do it, but my parents said it was too dangerous :mad: x So how does it work? Can i just buy a horse and enter?!

This probably would be dangerous.
I would suggest you find either a local p-p or racing yard and offer to ride out for them, they often need extra exercise riders and get involved that way, once you have got a feel for things it will be easier to go and buy a horse to train for yourself.

ischa

Visit site
As someone has said try asking your local racing yard , they usually take on riders who exercise horses on the gallops etc or even a stable groom a least
It's a foot in the door

Little Squirrel

Visit site
As others have said start by riding out in a local yard. Plenty about, could always post an advert on Jumping For Fun. Then when you have got the feel how racehorses ar ridden, get fit and I mean seriously fit. No point in riding in a race to be a floppy heap half way through and be useless in a finish. You then have to apply for a license and get the hunt to sign you off. If you want to buy a horse get an old schoolmaster for your first season. Proabably wont win but at least it will give you confidence and you'll get a feel for a race which always seems to be 100 times faster than you've ever been. Especially on your first couple of rides. Have fun most importantly. Also school as much and as often as you can you need to be confident and keep your eye in. Good Luck!