How do I get started

gingerarab

Visit site
Having never been out hunting, how do I get started ? Do hunts have days for newbies to nurse us round ? Not the bravest and dont want to be jumping huge fences ! based in Worcs. Any advice ?

Simsar

Visit site
Find your nearest hunt and give them a call, I think newbie week is November??? Your local hunt will be able to help look them up. All the best hope you enjoy it.

L&M

Visit site
If you go on the MFHA website you can search your area for local hunts - some have their own websites which are linked. Find a hunt you like the sound of and phone up the Sec, explaining you are new to hunting and they should be able to recommend quieter days to get you started. There are plenty of posts you can search on here re turnout etc.

If you don't mind early mornings, most hunts will be out autumn hunting at the moment, which is often quieter with less jumping. This is how I started 5 seasons ago and was petrified - but just bit the bullet and went and have been hooked ever since!

Let us know how you get on....

L&M

Visit site
Not at all Simsar, after all imitation is the best form of flattery!!

OP - have just received latest mag from the CA which states Hunting Newcomers Week is 16th - 23rd Oct.

Hope that helps

TS_

Visit site
The newcomers week with my local hunt is the middle of October, definitely ring the secretary of you're local hunt as they can send you a copy of the meet list and point you in the right direction. I'd also google hunt etiquette so that you know what to do, where to be, what to where, some basic signals etc. The more you know before you go the less stressful it'll be and the more you can relax and enjoy it :) There's always lots of people to chat to.

Just noticed you're in Worcs, I'm with the Croome and West Warwickshire and if they're your local and you want company I shall probably be out in newcomers week.

Last edited: