how do i introduce my horse to bounces?

Pancakes

Visit site
horse is quite competent jumping individual fences but can be quite quirky when it comes to jumping doubles and grids, i.e. have to build up slowly until he is confident.
so just wonering how to introduce him to a bounce fence, as just worried how he will react and dont want to knock his confidence
blush.gif

teddyt

Visit site
Make sure he can bounce poles on the ground first before building a jump. Then put up a small jump with a pole on the floor before it at the right bounce distance. make sure its not too long or short a distance to build confidence. Then you can progress to two small jumps and so on.

kerilli

Visit site
as above, start with poles on the floory, and the first time you have 2 fences, have the first one as a small x pole. i'd approach in trot and make sure the distance is spot on for him so it's pretty easy at first.

Universal

Visit site
Had a lesson yesterday on a youngster that i thought had no brain. So when my trainer decided it was time to do some bounces with him i thought he would do everything apart from bounce it!! Being a 17.1 he is a big horse to get to bounce.

All we did was start off with trot poles then trot poles to a cross and then a bounce with a pole just on the floor after a few times of this we then put the pole to a x, so we had trot pole to x bounce to x. . Didn't cock up once was actually amazed so he must have a brain. lol