How do I stop his obstinate bucking?

mastermax

Visit site
M new cob is a big strong boy but is lovely and pleasent. He can sometimes forget his manners and become bolshy but with firm, kind handling he is getting better. We have had some issues with his tongue over the bit but again we are working on that and are now using a Bomber blue happy tongue. The biggest problem though is when he is ridden and he decides he doesnt like something, if you put your leg on and squeeze to go forward he bucks. Only usually the once, but he did it earlier with a friend of mine who was riding and she was going downhill and very nearly unseated her but for his big neck!.. There was a wire on the floor and he went over it with his front feet, stopped and she squeezed him on and he bucked. He has also done this before when he decides he wont go forward.
How do I stop him doing this? Any ideas please.
Many thanks.

L&M

Visit site
Send him to Imperial Horse Dealers - sorry couldn't resist!!!

On second thoughts, maybe not as they may make him worse.....

Last edited:

katiesdolphin

Visit site
The way he has been with tongue and the way he bucks with leg on a times, sound to be like he wasn't longreined properly when being broke as that would have tought him to ride forward and give him a better mouth! The best thing you can do when you feel he's going to buck is pick up contact so he can't get his head down to buck and really ride him forward through it, eventualy he should forget about it, if he fights to get his head down a tap on the shoulder should help, hope that helps

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
keep your hands up, so he can't get his head down to try to buck - with my lad, I used daisy reins to help, and it stopped the habit very quickly.

The only time he bucked recently was because his saddle was pinching.

lloyd

Visit site
Send him to Imperial Horse Dealers - sorry couldn't resist!!!

On second thoughts, maybe not as they may make him worse.....

HAHA Quality !

Yeah what you want to do first is contact a horse comunicator / Psychic, who can maybe have a sit down with your horse and discuss over a cup of coffee whats the issue. Im sure after some rational discussion they should be able to come to a resulution and end the problem.

Either that or get one of these behavioriststo work on your horse , im sure that with enough positive thinking - suger lumps and positive conditioning in a couple of years you will get there.

But under no circomstance do you get someone who could sit to its bucks to give it a crack with a whip every time it trys it on, the horse and hound forum linch mob will come down on you like a house of bricks.

;)

Lloyd.

mastermax

Visit site
thanks for all the helpful replies. I feel it is a mental rather than physical problem as he is a bolshy git anyway and does try it on. Saddle, teeth etc has all been checked. My husband is going to ride him out tomorrow and see what happens. I just feel he is being a pectulant brat rather than a pony in pain.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
thanks for all the helpful replies. I feel it is a mental rather than physical problem as he is a bolshy git anyway and does try it on. Saddle, teeth etc has all been checked. My husband is going to ride him out tomorrow and see what happens. I just feel he is being a pectulant brat rather than a pony in pain.

What prompted the bucking downhill?

How old is he?

mastermax

Visit site
What prompted the bucking downhill?

How old is he?

Hi Amy, I was leading my husbands horse out as he has had an abcess and just had shoe back on and Stanley was behind with my friend riding him. Halfway down the cow track, husband had put the wire over the track so I unwound it and threw it to the side of the path. Henry carried on walking and Stanley walked two steps forward and stopped, he was squeezed on to go forward but bucked instead. It was just unfortunate we happened to be going downhill at the time. He is 11 years old and has previously been used to hack out with a mother accompanying her small daughter.
Regarding the gut issues and possible ulcers, I have the big TB on Dengie Healthy Tummy and also Slippery Elm powder and Stanley has been on this but had to take him off it as the Alfalfa base fired him up like an eight day clock!!!
He only ever seems to do it when he see something he either doesnt like or if we perhaps stop to open a gate etc and he is then made to carry on, it almost like he is saying "right gone far enough, home now".
Sorry for the essay, I will get everything re checked again and see what happens.