How do i teach my young horse to jump

bexandmac

New User
Visit site
Hi,

I've just backed my youngster to ride and she goes nicely on flat but i want to teach her to jump correctly. Anyone know how to start her off?

Thanks.

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Be careful you don't overdue things, but start off with poles on the ground, walk then trot, once trotting is established you can either lunge over a raised pole, or better in a jumping lane to encourage forward thinking and the "bascule".
The first jump is a crossed pole, but she should be trotting over one or two or three poles in front of the jump.
Be aware that the young horse will over-jump, so use a neck rein and give her plenty of rein.
Do not then be tempted to raise the jump , she needs to learn to jump more economically.
Just do a few sessions, and concentrate on building her confidence and her strength, if she starts to get anxious, you need to back off with the work.
There are loads of books on bringing on young event horses, I would get one of these and devise a program for her, An instructor is invaluable.

noodle_

Visit site
I started mine off with poles (on the floor), then got on rode over them - and slowly built up to a little cross, straight etc... only this year we have done fillers. (shes 5)

I took it very slowly as i want her to have decent joints age 20....!. She jumps like s stag now and its a shame she dosent have a decent rider on her to help her progress more :D

Suziq77

Visit site
Be careful you don't overdue things, but start off with poles on the ground, walk then trot, once trotting is established you can either lunge over a raised pole, or better in a jumping lane to encourage forward thinking and the "bascule".
The first jump is a crossed pole, but she should be trotting over one or two or three poles in front of the jump.
Be aware that the young horse will over-jump, so use a neck rein and give her plenty of rein.
Do not then be tempted to raise the jump , she needs to learn to jump more economically.
Just do a few sessions, and concentrate on building her confidence and her strength, if she starts to get anxious, you need to back off with the work.
There are loads of books on bringing on young event horses, I would get one of these and devise a program for her, An instructor is invaluable.

^^^This, plus the odd short session loose jumping down a grid. If you keep sessions short and they enjoy it without getting tense/worried about anything you get lovely forward thinking confident jumpers.

ETA - i don't ride mine over "jumps" until they are confident loose jumping and on the lunge, then i start with polework for quite a few sessions, progressing to poles on the floor between the wings in a figure of 8 etc before moving up to cross poles.